B&C's Best of 2010 in Albums - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Also, I think one of the biggest obstacles still holding me back from my list (other than the fact that there's more than a dozen albums I still want to check out before compiling it) is that I just don't have a OH EM GEE favorite album of 2010 yet. Right now Brothers might come in as #1, and it doesn't beat their last record, which was not my #1 of 2008. Yeah, wow, great syntax in that last sentence.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 PM
I didn't have an OMG favorite either, which is why I didn't give High Violet 15 points.

I intended to listen to about a dozen more albums as well, but gave up. I listened to 44, that's way more than I have in years past.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:16 PM
I didn't have one stand-out album this year like I did with It's Blitz last year, but I'm far more content with my top fifteen this year than last because I feel like the music is all-around better. I mean, as it is, I have a five-way tie for first.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #94
45:33

Local Time: 09:16 AM
I only know one other National fan "in real life".

Does anyone else get their songs stuck in your head for hours? I listened to a DI list yesterday, Sorrow was on it, and I was singing it for six hours. But I wouldn't really describe their music as catchy...
Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Maybe I just feel kind of let down that nothing captivated me as much this year. There were a number of great records, and I got into a lot of new artists that I think have potential to be even better, but nothing that'll go down as legendary in my book. My favorite music I listened to for the first time in 2010 predated 2010.

I'm relistening to ArchAndroid right now, that may just change my mind, though as a musician my judgment of sophisticated music also comes from how much of the creativity stemmed from the named musician(s) (which is the reason I undervalue albums like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, because while Kanye is a production force to be reckoned with, let's get real about who did most of the composition, arrangement and performance, and hell half the MCing), the emotional content/performance, lyrics, composition, virtuosity and production. As such, I know Monae has a lot to do with the content of her work, but I'd like to know a little bit more about the creative process for that album before I give it my full credit. Otherwise I get very annoyed when "solo" artists or even bands that have a lot of help get all the credit.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

I was going to do a lot of write-ups here at the end of the year for the blog I contribute to occasionally. One of them was going to be about the albums NOT from 2010 I've gotten into in a big way this year. I wanted to share all of that in this thread as well, but (God, how many times have I used this excuse now?) losing my computer just kind of put an end to all of that. But, in a big way 2010 has been the best year of music for me. Not just because of the music that came out this year, but because I have immersed myself more fully into all different kinds of music in it. This was a year that saw me become a huge fan of Chillwave/Dream Pop/Shoegaze (Whatever) and begin to show appreciation for hip hop. It was a year in which I began to discover that most music existed in the 80s than just New Wave, and, alternatively, more than just classic rock happened in the 70s. It's not like I wasn't aware of these thigns before, but the fact is that I just didn't know where else to turn for the music. The biggest thing, of course, was my new-found appreciation for 90s music. I'm so glad that I begin to seek out more from that decade because it's proven to be quite the enriching experience.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I only know one other National fan "in real life".

Does anyone else get their songs stuck in your head for hours? I listened to a DI list yesterday, Sorrow was on it, and I was singing it for six hours. But I wouldn't really describe their music as catchy...
I never don't have music stuck in my head, so this happens with decent regularity. I cannot remember a time when my mind was clear of music. At literally any given time I can tell you a song stuck in my head.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Glad to hear about your new discoveries bono_212... one nitpick though, I would not throw shoegaze in with those categories, it's so wide-ranging (hell, to me it is a style of performance, not sound) that it can fit in with those and their polar opposites as well. After all, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is very much modern shoegaze, but about the furtherest thing you could think of from Dream pop.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Glad to hear about your new discoveries bono_212... one nitpick though, I would not throw shoegaze in with those categories, it's so wide-ranging (hell, to me it is a style of performance, not sound) that it can fit in with those and their polar opposites as well. After all, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is very much modern shoegaze, but about the furtherest thing you could think of from Dream pop.
I should say that I got into Chillwave/Dream Pop and Shoegaze I suppose, though I did throw them all into the same catergory, and I know that can be a bit of a clusterfuck.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Gotcha, .
Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, holy crap I was typing quickly, I wrote "furtherest" not furthest, gee thanks Chrome for not catching that bone-head move!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Ahhhhhhhh, how could I forget what is almost my OH EM GEE legendary favorite of 2010? Black Dub. Though their first release falls more into the category of impressive debut showing a lot of potential, it's my favorite record of the year. I've been listening to only new-to-me music for the past 2 weeks, it's easy to forget what I was already accustomed to.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
I just don't have a OH EM GEE favorite album of 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I didn't have an OMG favorite either
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I didn't have one stand-out album this year