B&C's Best of 2010 in Albums - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Have you heard Alligator yet?
heard, yes. just don't own a copy yet. loved what i heard, but i've heard considerably less of it compared to those other two.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:48 AM
I think it might be my favorite. Sad Songs, Alligator, Boxer, and High Violet are all great, though.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #228
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Agreed on Deep Blue. It's the least substantial track on the album, for me.

Anyway, we've talked this album to death. Which is great. A good piece of music deserves to be discussed.

But, for just a moment, let's talk about how Scottie Pippen's passing skills were completely overlooked and underrated.

He used to zip line drive bullet passes in the lane to MJ all day. Yet people only remember him for his defense and athleticism.
The main thing I remember about Scottie Pippen was being terrified when he had to shoot free throws during the finals when I was a child.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #229
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Quote:
I think it might be my favorite.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #230
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
they'd definitely make the list of "bands i liked at one point but currently hate, realize i don't hate if i listen to them, but their fans have made me loathe to even see the name mentioned." there are way more bands on that list than you'd think, and sometimes i think i'm being stupid when over-enthusiasm from other people kills a band for me. it's like over-exposure on the radio, or something. or maybe just annoying. i'm guilty of it at times, which is why it annoys me that i'm so annoyed. or maybe i'm just annoying.
Haha, I feel the same. I can't stand when I let something that idiotic ruin something I like. It still happens sometimes though. Luckily I rebounded on both bands this year though. I was pretty low on them both with their previous releases (not that they were bad, just that it pissed me off that so many people bandwagon-ed on lesser albums) and came back to very good terms this last year.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

I certainly hope I don't come across as over-enthusiastic about The National to the point of annoyance. I wasn't trying to sell The National to people in debating the merits of lyrics with Berninger and Butler.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I certainly hope I don't come across as over-enthusiastic about The National to the point of annoyance. I wasn't trying to sell The National to people in debating the merits of lyrics with Berninger and Butler.
I don't think that you have ever come across as hyperbolic. It's perfectly reasonable, I think, to be enthusiastic about The National. Part of being a music fan is ascertaining and debating the artistic merits of bands.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #233
Blue Meth Addict

Yeah, you have nothing worry about, Peefster.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This discussion reminds me of a fairly interesting dialogue that I read a few days ago:

Which is worse, epic hyperbole!!! or “meh”? | Film | Crosstalk | The A.V. Club

At times on this forum, we seem to do a strange type of dance where we try to find a comfortable ground between over-enthusiasm and tepid acceptance. I think that the article captures that dance quite well.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

I don't even use exclamation points unless I'm being a smartass. But I actually do hate fun, so that might have something to do with it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #236
45:33

Local Time: 09:48 PM
well hopefully my ridiculous overenthusiasm over the past year for namely LCD and Outkast hasn't tempered anyone's fondness for them.

i love Alligator but i too think it suffers from a horrendous tracklisting. but now having seen them live i think High Violet comfortably sits as my top NASH! album.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #237
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I certainly hope I don't come across as over-enthusiastic about The National to the point of annoyance. .
nope, not at all. the fact that you're not even remotely annoying about them is why when i finally did go into the giant thread, i decided i needed to hear them. sometimes people then jump on "fresh meat" in a thread like that and bombard them with hyperbole, which never happened. and seeing as that was a couple months ago now, i'm pretty happy to see i was wrong in my assessment that i'd fuckin' love the songs i heard, need to pick up all the album, enjoy the hell out of them for a month or so before totally losing all interest again. far too good a band for that.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #238
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
well hopefully my ridiculous overenthusiasm over the past year for namely LCD and Outkast hasn't tempered anyone's fondness for them.

nah, the music itself did that for me. sorry, just not a fan (of either) before i ever heard of The Cobbler.

i don't think it's really one person (although oasis kid could probably take even a hardcore oasis fan--if a second one even exists anymore, which i'd think is debatable at best--and single-handedly deter them) that does it, i think it's a general little bit of over-excitement here, little bit more there, over a longer period of time. like when you're into a band that has a smallish following, they put out another album that's ok but not as good as the last one(s), it takes a little bit of time but then all sudden they blow up and you're hearing them on the radio, everyone and their brother thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it's all over this lesser album. i think impy's having this problem with the black keys now (or if it wasn't him, it was someone else). people are like "OMG have u heard the new [band]'s album?" and you're like um, yeah, i bought it 6 months ago when it came out. it's not new anymore. and by the way, the previous 3 were way, way better. "omg they have more than 1 album?1? noo waaai!" and then you blow their head off with a 12 gauge shotgun. i mean, then you roll your eyes, walk away, and suddenly never, ever want to hear said band again.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I will say this about both The National and Arcade Fire. Both have fans that completely blow both bands "greatness" completely out of proportion, and can sometimes sour you to both groups if you're the type of person who is annoyed by such things.
This kind of thing used to annoy me, but I just put it into perspective by the idea that there are millions if not billions of people out there in the world who, 1) don't know who the hell these bands are and 2) don't care one bit about their music.

I think in general internet has a tendency to make things seem larger and more important than what they really are.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:48 PM
I think the fact that I find Berninger's vocal so pleasant, and Butler's not so, is the clincher for me.

Tags
album rankings, album reviews, b&c, best of 2010