B&C's Best Albums of 2012 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #91
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
And fuck In Aeroplane Over Sea.
Is this a New Year's resolution, Cobbo?
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #92
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Man, I wish I could write about music that well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
And fuck In Aeroplane Over Sea.
Step 1) Articles are your friend.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #93
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,019
Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Step 1) Articles are your friend.
Definite truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Is this a New Year's resolution, Cobbo?
Nice edit
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #94
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Oh, I edited that more times than you probably noticed. I had like three jokes working at once and arbitrarily settled on that one.

Your post was great. It ended worse than the fucking Sopranos though.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #95
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,019
Local Time: 05:48 PM
Thanks man, appreciate it.

I've never seen The Sopranos, but I really didn't like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Thanks for steering me back to one of my favorite threads ever: I'm in love with the difinite article.

It quickly devolves into a lot of "Had to have been there" conversation, but I love it.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Man, I wish I could write about music that well. Great list, iYup.
I don't know man, I think you're doing pretty damn well yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Where would Kindred have landed had you included it?
Probably somewhere around 11 or 12. I ultimately decided not to include any EPs, though if you add the recent Truant single onto Kindred for a full-length album, it would definitely have been in the top ten.
__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #98
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Burial's gotta have one of the best non-album material track records of the last few years. Everything has been stellar.

Nice list and comments, Cobbz.

 
Except for the opinion on Neutral Milk Hotel.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nielsgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 8,596
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Probably somewhere around 11 or 12. I ultimately decided not to include any EPs, though if you add the recent Truant single onto Kindred for a full-length album, it would definitely have been in the top ten.
You should've included it. Now I'm the only one. The line between EP's and albums is so blurry these days. Kindred is as much an album as Attack On Memory for instance.

I seem to be less into dreampop than most here. I enjoy all those records that are mentioned (Bloom, Nocturne, Lotus Plaza...) but they never stick with me, and they get old easily when I listen to them fully concentrated.
__________________
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #100
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,019
Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post

I seem to be less into dreampop than most here. I enjoy all those records that are mentioned (Bloom, Nocturne, Lotus Plaza...) but they never stick with me, and they get old easily when I listen to them fully concentrated.
They don't really stick with me either - I listened to Nocturne a few times and it really did nothing for me.

I think Spooky Action just has more memorable songs.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict
 
liamcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Posts: 16,695
Local Time: 04:48 PM
*high fives Cobbler*
__________________
liamcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #102
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,953
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Here's my list, complete at last. (Shameless plug: the first two write-ups are from NoRipcord's Best of 2012, where I'm a contributing writer.)

1. Bat for Lashes – The Haunted Man (15)
The words thrown around in reference to Natasha Khan’s third album are “stripped back” but that’s not accurate. Sure, the melodies are tighter and the production is slimmer than Two Suns, but this is still a record of musical watercolors. Instead, every song on this record focuses on being as direct as possible. All Your Gold is fixed with a taught guitar part until the chorus where Khan lets the line snap with her dancing voice. The title track features Khan singing her way through an electronic drum pattern, sharp strings and a Gregorian choir, until about three minutes where she burst forward in a performance that’s worth the wait. Marilyn keeps climbing and reaching new heights, even when you think it couldn’t get any more transcendent. It is the perfect album to listen to in winter, a blizzard of emotions, instruments and vocals that form a unique and beautiful gale storm of melodies.

2. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp (15)
Sharon Van Etten’s third full-length album is not just emotionally powerful, but a force to be reckoned with instrumentally as well. Rather than exclusively sticking to the mournful, wounded feel of Epic, Van Etten runs the gamut of the emotional fallout after a relationship ends. The addition of Aaron Dessner’s production has helped her to thrive, pushing her boundaries beyond that of her last two releases. She spits out venomous lines on the angry, propulsive kick of Serpents, laments guiltily about how she’s “bad at loving” on the acoustic Leonard and explores relationships philosophically and tiredly over the light strumming and organ keys of All I Can. This is a record of healing that not only must have helped Van Etten, but anyone else in the same scenario. Universal and personal. That’s Tramp in a nutshell.

3. David Byrne and St. Vincent – Love This Giant (15)
Byrne and Annie Clark seemed like an odd combination at first but the more I listened to this album and the more I thought about it, it started to seem like a perfect fit. Both artists continually challenge themselves to find new ground and defy expectations when it comes to their individual projects. While I’m more of a St. Vincent fan than a David Byrne fan, this album combines their talents excellently, while the horns offer something fresh from both of them. The snarl of St. Vincent’s guitar and vocals are not as noticeable here as on her own records, but you still get that hint of danger underneath the surface. One of the few albums of the year where I enjoy every song.

4. Metric – Synthetica (10)
Personally, I think this album is at least as good as Fantasies. It starts off so strong and so propulsive, from the slow build of “Artificial Nocturne,” through the incredibly fun and energetic “Youth Without Youth” and “Speed the Collapse” and ending with the U2-esque “Breathing Underwater.” The fun doesn’t end there either. The message about whether the introductions of synthetics has helped or hurt us is prevalent but not anvilicious. Plus, they managed to include Lou Reed in a song and not have him rant all over it. Hear that, Metallica? (Side note for those of you who have seen Metric live, am I the only one who thinks James Shaw looks and plays guitar like a young Edge from the early 80’s?)

5. Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail (8)
This album’s place was set pretty much by the third time I heard it. It did not take much to convince me of its high ranking. Their combination of traditional folk and intensely dark, modern production makes for a very intriguing and captivating journey. The highlight is “Garden of Delights,” which starts off with a very angry and dark storyline of man’s faults, but switches over to a major key as the singer sings out “and love will prevail.” Great song from a great album, the most underrated LP of the year.

6. Garbage – Not Your Kind of People (8)
Garbage’s first album since 2005 is also their best since their debut. Whatever problems plagued them in the early part of the last decade have clearly been laid to rest. This album shows a band that is hungry to get back into the game and they do so with precision, energy and fun. Shirley Manson is as aggressive and as compelling as ever. The rest of the band is at their peak as well, especially on “Automatic Systemic Habit,” “Blood for Poppies” and “Battle in Me.” Word is that this reunion isn’t just a one-time thing, as they are heading back to the studio soon.

7. Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil (6)
Amanda Palmer’s experiment with Kickstarter paid off for her in a big way. With the $1 million her fans collectively sent her way, Palmer crafted a genre-busting album that is the best of her career so far. “Smile” and “Do It With A Rockstar” are animated tracks that tightly weave themselves into explosive choruses, while Palmer’s lyrics follow her trademark wit and sense of humor. She also pulls back for some of the most devastatingly sad songs of the year, such as “The Bed Song.” Rock, electronica, cabaret and everything in between. That’s what awaits on this 70 minutes, sprawling record.

8. Cat Power – Sun (5)
Although she’s gone in a completely different direction to her past word, I think Sun is Cat Power’s best album. Every song here is masterfully assembled for the greatest impact, melody-wise. “Cherokee” itself has a ton of little touches that make it stick out, like that sharp repeating guitar part, the wordless whistle after the choruses and the hawk that swoops by towards the end. Such attention and care is given to every number here.

9. Sleigh Bells – Reign of Terror (5)
The duo’s second album is somehow even more aggressive and eruptive than their first. But there’s also a stronger focus on pop melodies from Alexis Krauss (who apparently was taught by one of my college professors, which is pretty cool). “Born to Lose” and “Comeback Kid” both hit you over the head with its sheer volume and Derek Miller’s riffs, but Krauss never lets the songs stray too far from the hook.

10. Grimes – Visions (4)
If there was a breakout star this year besides Frank Ocean, it was Grimes. Visions is a fully realized piece of pure electronica, which manages to stand head and shoulders above any other similar albums. Just the strength of “Genesis” and “Oblivion” makes this record worth checking out. There are going to be big things in store from her in the coming years.

11. Thenewno2 – thefearofmissingout (3)
12. Lower Dens – Nootropics (3)
13. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts (1)
14. Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1)
15. Niki and the Dove – Instinct (1)

Honorable Mention:
16. Bobby Womack – The Bravest Man in the Universe
17. Beach House - Bloom
18. Lissy Truille – Lissy Truille
19. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
20. School of Seven Bells – Ghostory

(Stealing this part from iron yuppie, with one change. )
Best EP: How to Destroy Angels – An Omen
Worst Album: The Ting Tings – Sounds from Nowheresville
Most Average Album: Andrew Bird – Break it Yourself or Damon Albarn – Dr. Dee
Most Disappointing Album: Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
Most Overhyped Album: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Most Unfairly Neglected Album: Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail
Most Pleasant Surprise: Garbage – Not Your Kind of People
Album People Loved at First and Then Completely Forgot About: Regina Spektor – What We Saw From The Cheap Seats
Best Thing from Last Year that I Only Heard This Year: M83 – Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
Best Album Title: Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil
Worst Album Title: Madonna - MDNA
Best Album Cover: Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Worst Album Cover: Death Grips – NO LOVE DEEP WEB
__________________
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Here's my list, complete at last. (Shameless plug: the first two write-ups are from NoRipcord's Best of 2012, where I'm a contributing writer.)

1. Bat for Lashes – The Haunted Man (15)
The words thrown around in reference to Natasha Khan’s third album are “stripped back” but that’s not accurate. Sure, the melodies are tighter and the production is slimmer than Two Suns, but this is still a record of musical watercolors. Instead, every song on this record focuses on being as direct as possible. All Your Gold is fixed with a taught guitar part until the chorus where Khan lets the line snap with her dancing voice. The title track features Khan singing her way through an electronic drum pattern, sharp strings and a Gregorian choir, until about three minutes where she burst forward in a performance that’s worth the wait. Marilyn keeps climbing and reaching new heights, even when you think it couldn’t get any more transcendent. It is the perfect album to listen to in winter, a blizzard of emotions, instruments and vocals that form a unique and beautiful gale storm of melodies.

2. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp (15)
Sharon Van Etten’s third full-length album is not just emotionally powerful, but a force to be reckoned with instrumentally as well. Rather than exclusively sticking to the mournful, wounded feel of Epic, Van Etten runs the gamut of the emotional fallout after a relationship ends. The addition of Aaron Dessner’s production has helped her to thrive, pushing her boundaries beyond that of her last two releases. She spits out venomous lines on the angry, propulsive kick of Serpents, laments guiltily about how she’s “bad at loving” on the acoustic Leonard and explores relationships philosophically and tiredly over the light strumming and organ keys of All I Can. This is a record of healing that not only must have helped Van Etten, but anyone else in the same scenario. Universal and personal. That’s Tramp in a nutshell.

3. David Byrne and St. Vincent – Love This Giant (15)
Byrne and Annie Clark seemed like an odd combination at first but the more I listened to this album and the more I thought about it, it started to seem like a perfect fit. Both artists continually challenge themselves to find new ground and defy expectations when it comes to their individual projects. While I’m more of a St. Vincent fan than a David Byrne fan, this album combines their talents excellently, while the horns offer something fresh from both of them. The snarl of St. Vincent’s guitar and vocals are not as noticeable here as on her own records, but you still get that hint of danger underneath the surface. One of the few albums of the year where I enjoy every song.

4. Metric – Synthetica (10)
Personally, I think this album is at least as good as Fantasies. It starts off so strong and so propulsive, from the slow build of “Artificial Nocturne,” through the incredibly fun and energetic “Youth Without Youth” and “Speed the Collapse” and ending with the U2-esque “Breathing Underwater.” The fun doesn’t end there either. The message about whether the introductions of synthetics has helped or hurt us is prevalent but not anvilicious. Plus, they managed to include Lou Reed in a song and not have him rant all over it. Hear that, Metallica? (Side note for those of you who have seen Metric live, am I the only one who thinks James Shaw looks and plays guitar like a young Edge from the early 80’s?)

5. Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail (8)
This album’s place was set pretty much by the third time I heard it. It did not take much to convince me of its high ranking. Their combination of traditional folk and intensely dark, modern production makes for a very intriguing and captivating journey. The highlight is “Garden of Delights,” which starts off with a very angry and dark storyline of man’s faults, but switches over to a major key as the singer sings out “and love will prevail.” Great song from a great album, the most underrated LP of the year.

6. Garbage – Not Your Kind of People (8)
Garbage’s first album since 2005 is also their best since their debut. Whatever problems plagued them in the early part of the last decade have clearly been laid to rest. This album shows a band that is hungry to get back into the game and they do so with precision, energy and fun. Shirley Manson is as aggressive and as compelling as ever. The rest of the band is at their peak as well, especially on “Automatic Systemic Habit,” “Blood for Poppies” and “Battle in Me.” Word is that this reunion isn’t just a one-time thing, as they are heading back to the studio soon.

7. Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil (6)
Amanda Palmer’s experiment with Kickstarter paid off for her in a big way. With the $1 million her fans collectively sent her way, Palmer crafted a genre-busting album that is the best of her career so far. “Smile” and “Do It With A Rockstar” are animated tracks that tightly weave themselves into explosive choruses, while Palmer’s lyrics follow her trademark wit and sense of humor. She also pulls back for some of the most devastatingly sad songs of the year, such as “The Bed Song.” Rock, electronica, cabaret and everything in between. That’s what awaits on this 70 minutes, sprawling record.

8. Cat Power – Sun (5)
Although she’s gone in a completely different direction to her past word, I think Sun is Cat Power’s best album. Every song here is masterfully assembled for the greatest impact, melody-wise. “Cherokee” itself has a ton of little touches that make it stick out, like that sharp repeating guitar part, the wordless whistle after the choruses and the hawk that swoops by towards the end. Such attention and care is given to every number here.

9. Sleigh Bells – Reign of Terror (5)
The duo’s second album is somehow even more aggressive and eruptive than their first. But there’s also a stronger focus on pop melodies from Alexis Krauss (who apparently was taught by one of my college professors, which is pretty cool). “Born to Lose” and “Comeback Kid” both hit you over the head with its sheer volume and Derek Miller’s riffs, but Krauss never lets the songs stray too far from the hook.

10. Grimes – Visions (4)
If there was a breakout star this year besides Frank Ocean, it was Grimes. Visions is a fully realized piece of pure electronica, which manages to stand head and shoulders above any other similar albums. Just the strength of “Genesis” and “Oblivion” makes this record worth checking out. There are going to be big things in store from her in the coming years.

11. Thenewno2 – thefearofmissingout (3)
12. Lower Dens – Nootropics (3)
13. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts (1)
14. Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1)
15. Niki and the Dove – Instinct (1)

Honorable Mention:
16. Bobby Womack – The Bravest Man in the Universe
17. Beach House - Bloom
18. Lissy Truille – Lissy Truille
19. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
20. School of Seven Bells – Ghostory

(Stealing this part from iron yuppie, with one change. )
Best EP: How to Destroy Angels – An Omen
Worst Album: The Ting Tings – Sounds from Nowheresville
Most Average Album: Andrew Bird – Break it Yourself or Damon Albarn – Dr. Dee
Most Disappointing Album: Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
Most Overhyped Album: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Most Unfairly Neglected Album: Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail
Most Pleasant Surprise: Garbage – Not Your Kind of People
Album People Loved at First and Then Completely Forgot About: Regina Spektor – What We Saw From The Cheap Seats
Best Thing from Last Year that I Only Heard This Year: M83 – Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
Best Album Title: Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil
Worst Album Title: Madonna - MDNA
Best Album Cover: Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Worst Album Cover: Death Grips – NO LOVE DEEP WEB


I like the shameless plug.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #104
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Nice list, Joey. I loved that Air album/soundtrack early in the year, but haven't listened to it much since.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
5. Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail (8)
This album’s place was set pretty much by the third time I heard it. It did not take much to convince me of its high ranking. Their combination of traditional folk and intensely dark, modern production makes for a very intriguing and captivating journey. The highlight is “Garden of Delights,” which starts off with a very angry and dark storyline of man’s faults, but switches over to a major key as the singer sings out “and love will prevail.” Great song from a great album, the most underrated LP of the year.
I have been thinking about buying this, and now with this recommendation I certainly will.
__________________

__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com