B&C's Best Albums of 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I edited that more times than you probably noticed. I had like three jokes working at once and arbitrarily settled on that one.

Your post was great. It ended worse than the fucking Sopranos though.

Man, I wish I could write about music that well. Great list, iYup.

I don't know man, I think you're doing pretty damn well yourself.

Where would Kindred have landed had you included it?

Probably somewhere around 11 or 12. I ultimately decided not to include any EPs, though if you add the recent Truant single onto Kindred for a full-length album, it would definitely have been in the top ten.

Burial's gotta have one of the best non-album material track records of the last few years. Everything has been stellar.

Nice list and comments, Cobbz.

Except for the opinion on Neutral Milk Hotel.

Probably somewhere around 11 or 12. I ultimately decided not to include any EPs, though if you add the recent Truant single onto Kindred for a full-length album, it would definitely have been in the top ten.
You should've included it. Now I'm the only one. :wink: The line between EP's and albums is so blurry these days. Kindred is as much an album as Attack On Memory for instance.

I seem to be less into dreampop than most here. I enjoy all those records that are mentioned (Bloom, Nocturne, Lotus Plaza...) but they never stick with me, and they get old easily when I listen to them fully concentrated.

I seem to be less into dreampop than most here. I enjoy all those records that are mentioned (Bloom, Nocturne, Lotus Plaza...) but they never stick with me, and they get old easily when I listen to them fully concentrated.

They don't really stick with me either - I listened to Nocturne a few times and it really did nothing for me.

I think Spooky Action just has more memorable songs.

Here's my list, complete at last. (Shameless plug: the first two write-ups are from NoRipcord's Best of 2012, where I'm a contributing writer.)

1. Bat for Lashes – The Haunted Man (15)
The words thrown around in reference to Natasha Khan’s third album are “stripped back” but that’s not accurate. Sure, the melodies are tighter and the production is slimmer than Two Suns, but this is still a record of musical watercolors. Instead, every song on this record focuses on being as direct as possible. All Your Gold is fixed with a taught guitar part until the chorus where Khan lets the line snap with her dancing voice. The title track features Khan singing her way through an electronic drum pattern, sharp strings and a Gregorian choir, until about three minutes where she burst forward in a performance that’s worth the wait. Marilyn keeps climbing and reaching new heights, even when you think it couldn’t get any more transcendent. It is the perfect album to listen to in winter, a blizzard of emotions, instruments and vocals that form a unique and beautiful gale storm of melodies.

2. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp (15)
Sharon Van Etten’s third full-length album is not just emotionally powerful, but a force to be reckoned with instrumentally as well. Rather than exclusively sticking to the mournful, wounded feel of Epic, Van Etten runs the gamut of the emotional fallout after a relationship ends. The addition of Aaron Dessner’s production has helped her to thrive, pushing her boundaries beyond that of her last two releases. She spits out venomous lines on the angry, propulsive kick of Serpents, laments guiltily about how she’s “bad at loving” on the acoustic Leonard and explores relationships philosophically and tiredly over the light strumming and organ keys of All I Can. This is a record of healing that not only must have helped Van Etten, but anyone else in the same scenario. Universal and personal. That’s Tramp in a nutshell.

3. David Byrne and St. Vincent – Love This Giant (15)
Byrne and Annie Clark seemed like an odd combination at first but the more I listened to this album and the more I thought about it, it started to seem like a perfect fit. Both artists continually challenge themselves to find new ground and defy expectations when it comes to their individual projects. While I’m more of a St. Vincent fan than a David Byrne fan, this album combines their talents excellently, while the horns offer something fresh from both of them. The snarl of St. Vincent’s guitar and vocals are not as noticeable here as on her own records, but you still get that hint of danger underneath the surface. One of the few albums of the year where I enjoy every song.

4. Metric – Synthetica (10)
Personally, I think this album is at least as good as Fantasies. It starts off so strong and so propulsive, from the slow build of “Artificial Nocturne,” through the incredibly fun and energetic “Youth Without Youth” and “Speed the Collapse” and ending with the U2-esque “Breathing Underwater.” The fun doesn’t end there either. The message about whether the introductions of synthetics has helped or hurt us is prevalent but not anvilicious. Plus, they managed to include Lou Reed in a song and not have him rant all over it. Hear that, Metallica? (Side note for those of you who have seen Metric live, am I the only one who thinks James Shaw looks and plays guitar like a young Edge from the early 80’s?)

5. Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail (8)
This album’s place was set pretty much by the third time I heard it. It did not take much to convince me of its high ranking. Their combination of traditional folk and intensely dark, modern production makes for a very intriguing and captivating journey. The highlight is “Garden of Delights,” which starts off with a very angry and dark storyline of man’s faults, but switches over to a major key as the singer sings out “and love will prevail.” Great song from a great album, the most underrated LP of the year.

6. Garbage – Not Your Kind of People (8)
Garbage’s first album since 2005 is also their best since their debut. Whatever problems plagued them in the early part of the last decade have clearly been laid to rest. This album shows a band that is hungry to get back into the game and they do so with precision, energy and fun. Shirley Manson is as aggressive and as compelling as ever. The rest of the band is at their peak as well, especially on “Automatic Systemic Habit,” “Blood for Poppies” and “Battle in Me.” Word is that this reunion isn’t just a one-time thing, as they are heading back to the studio soon.

7. Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil (6)
Amanda Palmer’s experiment with Kickstarter paid off for her in a big way. With the $1 million her fans collectively sent her way, Palmer crafted a genre-busting album that is the best of her career so far. “Smile” and “Do It With A Rockstar” are animated tracks that tightly weave themselves into explosive choruses, while Palmer’s lyrics follow her trademark wit and sense of humor. She also pulls back for some of the most devastatingly sad songs of the year, such as “The Bed Song.” Rock, electronica, cabaret and everything in between. That’s what awaits on this 70 minutes, sprawling record.

8. Cat Power – Sun (5)
Although she’s gone in a completely different direction to her past word, I think Sun is Cat Power’s best album. Every song here is masterfully assembled for the greatest impact, melody-wise. “Cherokee” itself has a ton of little touches that make it stick out, like that sharp repeating guitar part, the wordless whistle after the choruses and the hawk that swoops by towards the end. Such attention and care is given to every number here.

9. Sleigh Bells – Reign of Terror (5)
The duo’s second album is somehow even more aggressive and eruptive than their first. But there’s also a stronger focus on pop melodies from Alexis Krauss (who apparently was taught by one of my college professors, which is pretty cool). “Born to Lose” and “Comeback Kid” both hit you over the head with its sheer volume and Derek Miller’s riffs, but Krauss never lets the songs stray too far from the hook.

10. Grimes – Visions (4)
If there was a breakout star this year besides Frank Ocean, it was Grimes. Visions is a fully realized piece of pure electronica, which manages to stand head and shoulders above any other similar albums. Just the strength of “Genesis” and “Oblivion” makes this record worth checking out. There are going to be big things in store from her in the coming years.

11. Thenewno2 – thefearofmissingout (3)
12. Lower Dens – Nootropics (3)
13. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts (1)
14. Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1)
15. Niki and the Dove – Instinct (1)

Honorable Mention:
16. Bobby Womack – The Bravest Man in the Universe
17. Beach House - Bloom
18. Lissy Truille – Lissy Truille
19. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
20. School of Seven Bells – Ghostory

(Stealing this part from iron yuppie, with one change. :wink:)
Best EP: How to Destroy Angels – An Omen
Worst Album: The Ting Tings – Sounds from Nowheresville
Most Average Album: Andrew Bird – Break it Yourself or Damon Albarn – Dr. Dee
Most Disappointing Album: Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
Most Overhyped Album: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Most Unfairly Neglected Album: Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail
Most Pleasant Surprise: Garbage – Not Your Kind of People
Album People Loved at First and Then Completely Forgot About: Regina Spektor – What We Saw From The Cheap Seats
Best Thing from Last Year that I Only Heard This Year: M83 – Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
Best Album Title: Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil
Worst Album Title: Madonna - MDNA
Best Album Cover: Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Worst Album Cover: Death Grips – NO LOVE DEEP WEB

Here's my list, complete at last. (Shameless plug: the first two write-ups are from NoRipcord's Best of 2012, where I'm a contributing writer.)

1. Bat for Lashes – The Haunted Man (15)
The words thrown around in reference to Natasha Khan’s third album are “stripped back” but that’s not accurate. Sure, the melodies are tighter and the production is slimmer than Two Suns, but this is still a record of musical watercolors. Instead, every song on this record focuses on being as direct as possible. All Your Gold is fixed with a taught guitar part until the chorus where Khan lets the line snap with her dancing voice. The title track features Khan singing her way through an electronic drum pattern, sharp strings and a Gregorian choir, until about three minutes where she burst forward in a performance that’s worth the wait. Marilyn keeps climbing and reaching new heights, even when you think it couldn’t get any more transcendent. It is the perfect album to listen to in winter, a blizzard of emotions, instruments and vocals that form a unique and beautiful gale storm of melodies.

2. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp (15)
Sharon Van Etten’s third full-length album is not just emotionally powerful, but a force to be reckoned with instrumentally as well. Rather than exclusively sticking to the mournful, wounded feel of Epic, Van Etten runs the gamut of the emotional fallout after a relationship ends. The addition of Aaron Dessner’s production has helped her to thrive, pushing her boundaries beyond that of her last two releases. She spits out venomous lines on the angry, propulsive kick of Serpents, laments guiltily about how she’s “bad at loving” on the acoustic Leonard and explores relationships philosophically and tiredly over the light strumming and organ keys of All I Can. This is a record of healing that not only must have helped Van Etten, but anyone else in the same scenario. Universal and personal. That’s Tramp in a nutshell.

3. David Byrne and St. Vincent – Love This Giant (15)
Byrne and Annie Clark seemed like an odd combination at first but the more I listened to this album and the more I thought about it, it started to seem like a perfect fit. Both artists continually challenge themselves to find new ground and defy expectations when it comes to their individual projects. While I’m more of a St. Vincent fan than a David Byrne fan, this album combines their talents excellently, while the horns offer something fresh from both of them. The snarl of St. Vincent’s guitar and vocals are not as noticeable here as on her own records, but you still get that hint of danger underneath the surface. One of the few albums of the year where I enjoy every song.

4. Metric – Synthetica (10)
Personally, I think this album is at least as good as Fantasies. It starts off so strong and so propulsive, from the slow build of “Artificial Nocturne,” through the incredibly fun and energetic “Youth Without Youth” and “Speed the Collapse” and ending with the U2-esque “Breathing Underwater.” The fun doesn’t end there either. The message about whether the introductions of synthetics has helped or hurt us is prevalent but not anvilicious. Plus, they managed to include Lou Reed in a song and not have him rant all over it. Hear that, Metallica? (Side note for those of you who have seen Metric live, am I the only one who thinks James Shaw looks and plays guitar like a young Edge from the early 80’s?)

This album’s place was set pretty much by the third time I heard it. It did not take much to convince me of its high ranking. Their combination of traditional folk and intensely dark, modern production makes for a very intriguing and captivating journey. The highlight is “Garden of Delights,” which starts off with a very angry and dark storyline of man’s faults, but switches over to a major key as the singer sings out “and love will prevail.” Great song from a great album, the most underrated LP of the year.

6. Garbage – Not Your Kind of People (8)
Garbage’s first album since 2005 is also their best since their debut. Whatever problems plagued them in the early part of the last decade have clearly been laid to rest. This album shows a band that is hungry to get back into the game and they do so with precision, energy and fun. Shirley Manson is as aggressive and as compelling as ever. The rest of the band is at their peak as well, especially on “Automatic Systemic Habit,” “Blood for Poppies” and “Battle in Me.” Word is that this reunion isn’t just a one-time thing, as they are heading back to the studio soon.

7. Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil (6)
Amanda Palmer’s experiment with Kickstarter paid off for her in a big way. With the $1 million her fans collectively sent her way, Palmer crafted a genre-busting album that is the best of her career so far. “Smile” and “Do It With A Rockstar” are animated tracks that tightly weave themselves into explosive choruses, while Palmer’s lyrics follow her trademark wit and sense of humor. She also pulls back for some of the most devastatingly sad songs of the year, such as “The Bed Song.” Rock, electronica, cabaret and everything in between. That’s what awaits on this 70 minutes, sprawling record.

8. Cat Power – Sun (5)
Although she’s gone in a completely different direction to her past word, I think Sun is Cat Power’s best album. Every song here is masterfully assembled for the greatest impact, melody-wise. “Cherokee” itself has a ton of little touches that make it stick out, like that sharp repeating guitar part, the wordless whistle after the choruses and the hawk that swoops by towards the end. Such attention and care is given to every number here.

9. Sleigh Bells – Reign of Terror (5)
The duo’s second album is somehow even more aggressive and eruptive than their first. But there’s also a stronger focus on pop melodies from Alexis Krauss (who apparently was taught by one of my college professors, which is pretty cool). “Born to Lose” and “Comeback Kid” both hit you over the head with its sheer volume and Derek Miller’s riffs, but Krauss never lets the songs stray too far from the hook.

10. Grimes – Visions (4)
If there was a breakout star this year besides Frank Ocean, it was Grimes. Visions is a fully realized piece of pure electronica, which manages to stand head and shoulders above any other similar albums. Just the strength of “Genesis” and “Oblivion” makes this record worth checking out. There are going to be big things in store from her in the coming years.

11. Thenewno2 – thefearofmissingout (3)
12. Lower Dens – Nootropics (3)
13. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts (1)
14. Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1)
15. Niki and the Dove – Instinct (1)

Honorable Mention:
16. Bobby Womack – The Bravest Man in the Universe
17. Beach House - Bloom
18. Lissy Truille – Lissy Truille
19. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
20. School of Seven Bells – Ghostory

(Stealing this part from iron yuppie, with one change. :wink:)
Best EP: How to Destroy Angels – An Omen
Worst Album: The Ting Tings – Sounds from Nowheresville
Most Average Album: Andrew Bird – Break it Yourself or Damon Albarn – Dr. Dee
Most Disappointing Album: Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
Most Overhyped Album: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Most Unfairly Neglected Album: Cult of Youth – Love Will Prevail
Most Pleasant Surprise: Garbage – Not Your Kind of People
Album People Loved at First and Then Completely Forgot About: Regina Spektor – What We Saw From The Cheap Seats
Best Thing from Last Year that I Only Heard This Year: M83 – Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
Best Album Title: Amanda Palmer – Theatre is Evil
Worst Album Title: Madonna - MDNA
Best Album Cover: Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Worst Album Cover: Death Grips – NO LOVE DEEP WEB

:up:

I like the shameless plug.

Nice list, Joey. I loved that Air album/soundtrack early in the year, but haven't listened to it much since.

I have been thinking about buying this, and now with this recommendation I certainly will. :up:

Guys, what's the deadline for this. I'm traveling and won't be able to post my list until the new year...

Yeah, I still haven't finalised my list either. Not that it'll make much difference to the overall list, I'm sure.

Nice list, Joey. I loved that Air album/soundtrack early in the year, but haven't listened to it much since.

I still haven't heard it because I want to watch it with the movie, and good intentions and all that jazz, I still haven't picked that up.

Ok, why not?

Tame Impala - Lonerism (15)
Beach House - Bloom (15)
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill (11)
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance (11)
Wild Nothing - Nocturne (9)
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel... (8)
Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory (7)
Shearwater - Animal Joy (6)
Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man (4)
Frankie Rose - Interstellar (3)
Menomena - Moms (3)
Grizzly Bear - Shields (3)
The Antlers - Undersea (2)
Hot Chip - In Our Heads (2)
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp (1)

Honourable mentions:
Mount Eerie - Clear Moon
Liars - WIXIW
DIIV - Oshin
Holograms - Holograms
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Antibalas - Antibalas
Cat Power - Sun
The xx - Coexist

Tame Impala - Lonerism (15)
Beach House - Bloom (15)
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill (11)
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance (11)
Wild Nothing - Nocturne (9)
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel... (8)
Frankie Rose - Interstellar (3)

:love:

Packers - (15)
Jordy Nelson - (14)
Rodgers! - (12)
Greg Jennings - (10)
Clay Matthews -(10)
Lonerism - (8)
Go Pack Go - (7)
Discount Double Check - (6)
The Idler Wheel - (6)
Fuck The Vikings - (5)
Lotus Plaza - (5)
Lotus Plaza - (2)

Yeah, pretty much. Someone else goes for Wild Nothing without a Lonerism and we got a different story on our hands.

Back
Top Bottom