B&C's Best Albums of 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, if you haven't heard Tom Waits' album, punch yourself in the face. If you have, and didn't include it on your list, stab yourself in the ear with a pencil.

I've heard one song off it so far. I really liked it. So I'll definitely be checking that one out further.

Heck, I'd like to start checking out quite a few of these albums at some point. Pretty interesting list.

You terrify the land
You are pestle and mortar
Your first love's New Order
Mother Nature's Son
King of the Everglades; population 1
I write poetry for myself
I write poetry for myself

:heart:

I obviously would have preferred M83 at #1, but good nonetheless.

I don't get the love for Destroyer; apart from a couple of songs, my reaction to it has been meh.

Also surprised Radiohead cracked the Top 5.

Glad to see that Russian Circles and Mogwai were in the Top 30.

Wow, and I almost put King of Limbs on my list because I didn't think it was going to get any love.

I must admit, I almost short changed Kaputt on points so that I could be sure M83 would win, but then it looked like M83 would be a lock. Now I see that doing so WOULD have mattered. Oh well, I would have felt like a cheater, and it's not like I don't like Kaputt...

I'm going to give myself a sizable chunk of credit for Kaputt's placement. It really underscores how important it is to make threads for bands you love instead of just keeping the discussion in Random. I realize anyone could have made that thread, but the way things have been lately, there was no guarantee.

Funny how shit comes together sometimes, ya dig?
One moment you frequent the booty clubs
And the next four years you and somebody's daughter
Raising your own young'n

I think that Destroyer is a more representative choice than M83. Almost everyone who heard Kaputt thought highly of it, whereas several people were less than enamored with Hurry Up. It seems as though Hurry Up either topped lists or did not appear on them at all.

I'm going to give myself a sizable chunk of credit for Kaputt's placement. It really underscores how important it is to make threads for bands you love instead of just keeping the discussion in Random. I realize anyone could have made that thread, but the way things have been lately, there was no guarantee.

Yeah, as I said in my list, your thread was my primary impetus to listen to it. Well, that and the glowing reviews that soon followed.

It will be interesting to see how we feel about these results one year from now. Looking back at my 2010 list, I can already think of several changes that I would now make to it.

Because we had an established M83 thread for years, M83 was quite popular here well before HUWD came out, and that made expectations a little different than for Kaputt, which was the introduction to Destroyer for several posters (myself not included, but it reignited my interest in them).

All of the love for Hurry Up fascinates me. I know I sound like I despise it, but actually I think that it is quite good, excellent even in places. But I have also seen artists lambasted around here for excess falling well short of that on Hurry Up. Is it perhaps that Gonzalez had explicitly declared his intention to make something unapologetically bombastic, and then followed through on that declaration? Ultimately, what is it that separates Hurry Up from something like Before the Dawn Heals Us?

To my ears, I don't even hear excess, not to a degree that surpasses his earlier work anyway. As a matter of fact, Hurry Up is way more accessible and song-oriented than Before The Dawn Heals Us, which is explicitly silly at times.

I must admit, I almost short changed Kaputt on points so that I could be sure M83 would win, but then it looked like M83 would be a lock. Now I see that doing so WOULD have mattered. Oh well, I would have felt like a cheater, and it's not like I don't like Kaputt...

Damnit, Ashley!!

At least you left TKOL off your list.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether my 1,400 posts about Kaputt this year helped them get into Kaputt? And then the band as a whole? :wink:

Yes. Your incessant yammering is one of the main reasons I listened to it.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether my 1,400 posts about Kaputt this year helped them get into Kaputt? And then the band as a whole? :wink:

I plead guilty re. the thread. I wouldn't have listened to that album otherwise, so thank you LM and COBL.

Have you heard this? I reckon you'd love the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puu3IvKnSb4&ob=av3e

Great video too.

I'll be darned. Not at all what I expected this band to sound like. For some reason I thought they were some sort of hard rock band. And looking at AMG, they've been around a long time. *Feels so behind and out of it*

Do like the video, like some weird hodgepodge of either rejected ideas for '80s movies or inspired by a mix of '80s types of movies, or something. The song's got kind of a pretty atmosphere to it, may need to hear a few more songs by these guys to get a better feel for them.

I don't get the love for Destroyer; apart from a couple of songs, my reaction to it has been meh.

I don't get it either, I thought it was good but it didn't exactly bowl me over.

Glad to see Let England Shake on the list, it's not one of my personal most favourite releases by PJ Harvey but I still loved it more than any other album this year.

This is why music is so great, I find Kaputt to be one of the best albums I've ever heard, and others will wholeheartedly disagree. I can't see what's so great about R.E.M.; and yet they have a swathe of passionate fans.

Well to be fair, if I was looking at the last ten years of their career, I wouldn't be able to see what's so great about REM either.

I don't actually think they were that great, but they were good.

Collapse Into Now absolutely, 100% should not have been anywhere near our top 30, and I say that as a massive REM fan who's been listening to them for like 7 years now.

Back
Top Bottom