B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey you guys Car Seat Headrest might be making an EP with Smash Mouth according to their Twitter updates. think about that shit

At least Smashmouth aren't playing for Donald fucking Trump.

Fuck you 3 Doors Down, I liked Kryptonite when I was twelve.

Before the end of January, I'm sure.

No clue what's gonna top it. Solange just doesn't seem big enough.

Could be Bowie but you never know. Maybe Frank Ocean?

This is going to end Kanye's streak, though.

And as I expected, a fairly close one.

Some observations:

* Huge gap between the top 3 (Bowie, Beyoncé, Tribe) and Chance at #4, over 600 points.

* Frank Ocean and Solange really weren't even close to contending for the win.

* Radiohead doesn't even crack 1000 points, despite having a more accessible/emotional album. All the way down at #7 is a surprise.

* Kanye takes an even bigger hit, from winning first place with his last 2 albums all the way down to #10

* indie rock only represented in the top 10 by Car Seat Headrest, though there's more the further you go down

* happy for high placements by Angel Olson and Rihanna (#12 & 13), the latter beating Nick Cave by 1 point

* Katrynada with a decent place at #29, unless they're more well known then I expected

* PJ Harvey's critical standing has really dropped, she's all the way down at #45

Good points, all. I was also happy to see Leonard Cohen get some recognition, considering how low it was in our list.

I'm not entirely sure what happened to The Hope Six Demolition Project, but it has been almost entirelly forgotten. I think it's probably some post-Let England Shake letdown, given the similarities between the two albums. But it's still quite good! That it ranked below the new Rolling Stones album is a joke (though this is probably a function of the population of critics, which must include a number of people writing for mainstream magazines that would vote for the Stones).

On Lemonade, I found it interesting that it received more points per vote than Blackstar. Bowie's brilliance was more universally recognized, but Lemonade's supporters were quite enthusiastic about it.

Radiohead that low (relatively speaking) was really surprising. But I think we will remember 2016 as a year of significant protest music, so it makes sense that Beyonce, Tribe, Solange, Frank and even Chance were more well regarded.

Last edited:
You have made very bad Melbourne Gig Choices, especially for Saturday.

That Tribe album is really something. I shouldn't have put it off as long as I did.

Totally agree. It has been made perfect companion during this shitty week.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

A few years ago I listened to some of Tribe's early albums, and was a bit put off by the production, which sounded tinny and distant to me - it might just have been the masters, I don't know. But the latest one has awesome depth and variety that frames the rhymes in a much richer way.

The Drones album really didn't get enough love. My biggest regret of the year so far is that I didn't include this song in my list, it's fucking phenomenal.

I heard the album twice and it didn't do much for me. It's brighter, more atonal and lacked the gothic blues sound of albums like Gala Mill. I like The Drones a ton, it's just not the direction I'd choose for them.

That's pretty good.

I remember listening to one of their albums a while ago due to a needledrop review but it didn't do anything for me. Might have to give them a second chance.

B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

Compared to their other stuff, it feels higher budget and more freewheeling, like they're attempting a crossover but are too misanthropic to pull it off. :lol:

Shark Fin Blues is still their best song. That outro is amazing.

Noticed that Xgau posted his yearly list:

2016: Dean's List

Albums

A Tribe Called Quest: We Got It From Here . . . Thank You 4 Your Service (Epic) 19
Rihanna: Anti (Deluxe Edition) (Westbury Road/Roc Nation) 15
American Honey (UME download) 13
M.I.A.: AIM (Interscope) 11
Lori McKenna: The Bird & the Rifle (CN/Thirty Tigers) 10
Drive-By Truckers: American Band (ATO) 9
Robbie Fulks: Upland Stories (Bloodshot) 8
Youssou N'Dour: Senegaal Rekk (Prince Arts) 6
Chance the Rapper: Coloring Book (self-released) 5
Parquet Courts: Human Performance (Rough Trade) 5

Car Seat Headrest: Teens of Denial (Matador)
African Rumba (Putumayo)
Dawn Oberg: Rye (Blossom Theory '12)
Wussy: Forever Sounds (Shake It)
Beyoncé: Lemonade (Columbia)
God Don't Never Change: The Songs of Blind Willie Johnson (Alligator)
Paul Simon: Stranger to Stranger (Concord)
Run the Jewels: RTJ3 (self-released)
The Paranoid Style: Rolling Disclosure (Bar/None)
The Coathangers: Nosebleed Weekend (Suicide Squeeze)

I think it goes up to 100 but this is the first 20, the Top 10 has his Pazz & Jop point allocation. He also had Deap Vally at 43, nice to see. On the site you can click on all the titles to see his capsule reviews.

http://robertchristgau.com/xg/pnj/deans16.php

And of course I feel vindicated on putting Rihanna as my own #1.

No Bowie? Fuck him. I'll take more stock in Pitchfork thankyaverymuch.

Compared to their other stuff, it feels higher budget and more freewheeling, like they're attempting a crossover but are too misanthropic to pull it off. :lol:

Shark Fin Blues is still their best song. That outro is amazing.

Hmm, can't agree, it's also hard to cross over with a song like Taman Shud :lol: which only Australians will get.

Agree on Shark Fin Blues.

That MIA album sucks and I'm tired of seeing people defend her when she's mailing it in.

But more Tribe praise is always good.

Back
Top Bottom