B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard barely a third of the albums on that Top 30. It was a busy year for me, I missed a lot. I'm thinking about trying Spotify for the first time because Apple Music sucks. I'm also thinking about buying a bicycle so that I run less and take some strain off my knees.

Anyway, hope you are having a nice week everyone.

I've probably been too hard on Car Seat Headrest; I don't mind him, and I get to an extent how a bunch of songs about being stupid and high would be appealing as a break from all of the super-heavy albums that came out this year. That said I still can't see what is distinctive about him from a musical or lyrical standpoint.

I enjoy these threads because I always want to know which opinions of mine are definitively incorrect.

woot

Thanks for putting this all together gump, and thanks to Peef for doing it so many times in the past. Didn't Imps do it a few times too? Was it his idea? THE HISTORIAN must teach me.

woot

Thanks for putting this all together gump, and thanks to Peef for doing it so many times in the past. Didn't Imps do it a few times too? Was it his idea? THE HISTORIAN must teach me.
I think you have it right: Impy started it, I continued it, Gump is your active man in charge.

a bunch of songs about being stupid and high

Ah. Here's the problem. You listened to a different album altogether!

I get that R&B, hip hop and depressing art rock were viewed as the only possible vehicles of substance in 2016, but this characterization of the lyrics is really off the mark. I can think of three songs that actively involve substance abuse and two of them primarily exist to challenge hedonistic lifestyles or to trace a line from his personal life prior to leaving home to what it has become presently under his own watch. It's an album about overcoming depression and self-loathing in the face of judgment and bad advice, as well as finding one's own identity. Not exactly carefree subjects, even relative to the rest of our top 10.

Last edited:
I can't believe a Rihanna album made the top ten. You wouldn't have predicted that for B&C back in 2008, that's for sure.

Me neither. I wouldn't have listened to her 10 years ago.

But I'm glad I've broadened my horizons, because it was my #1 of the year.

It strikes me that in the top four, you have three works of stunning range and artistry interrupted by Carseat fucking Headrest.

Huh, funny, I was sitting here thinking how striking it was that three fantastic albums were stuck behind a decent Radiohead album. It's like... People have different opinions of what's good or something...

I'm not that surprised, honestly. This is a year filled with deeply meaningful and emotional music. The top 10 alone included AMSP, Blackstar, Skeleton Key, Blonde, A Seat at the Table, We got it from Here. Even My Woman. This is heavy stuff from an emotional standpoint. Car Seat Headrest provides a good reprieve from all that heaviness.

I've probably been too hard on Car Seat Headrest; I don't mind him, and I get to an extent how a bunch of songs about being stupid and high would be appealing as a break from all of the super-heavy albums that came out this year. That said I still can't see what is distinctive about him from a musical or lyrical standpoint.
Why does it always have to be distinctive? He wrote a batch of good songs. I always think that's the most important thing.

As for the lyrics, I think they're pretty funny but there's more to them than that

I'm not that surprised, honestly. This is a year filled with deeply meaningful and emotional music. The top 10 alone included AMSP, Blackstar, Skeleton Key, Blonde, A Seat at the Table, We got it from Here. Even My Woman. This is heavy stuff from an emotional standpoint. Car Seat Headrest provides a good reprieve from all that heaviness.

My thing is...the album isn't a thematic reprieve at all. I mean, it's more about life than death and it isn't overtly political, but look at a song like The Ballad of the Costa Concordia. Using a destroyed Italian luxury liner as an allegory, he pulls out specific moments in his promising, privileged life that laid the groundwork for his own "sinking" into substance abuse and depression that the album covers in detail. The upbeat I GIVE UP refrain at the end of the song is, for me, one of the most cathartic moments in music in 2016, but it wouldn't work as well without all the heft that preceded it.

I know the album sounds like catchy indie rock whatever on the surface, but the wit and self-reflection of the lyrics is what made it resonate with fans and such a hit with critics. It really does feel like it takes a certain thematic transparency to get credit for lyricism these days. Where was the love for Angel Olsen's writing? I'd say that album was as strong lyrically as Solange's, it was just more thematically opaque.

Last edited:
That's a fair point. I was focusing more on how it sounds, as most of the albums I mentioned earlier sound as heavy as their lyrics (except for the Tribe album, perhaps, and Solange's in a different way). Personally, I haven't spent that much time with the album to think in depth about its lyrics, but your post motivated me to do so.

I think you have it right: Impy started it, I continued it, Gump is your active man in charge.

Very nice. Thanks go out to Imperor the Creator as well then.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

An album that I was truly surprised didn't get more support was Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker. I feel like it's the prototypical album that B&C loves, and I thought his passing would have left it in people's minds. It received only one vote and 3 points. Not even top-100.

Last edited:
Ah. Here's the problem. You listened to a different album altogether!

I get that R&B, hip hop and depressing art rock were viewed as the only possible vehicles of substance in 2016, but this characterization of the lyrics is really off the mark. I can think of three songs that actively involve substance abuse and two of them primarily exist to challenge hedonistic lifestyles or to trace a line from his personal life prior to leaving home to what it has become presently under his own watch. It's an album about overcoming depression and self-loathing in the face of judgment and bad advice, as well as finding one's own identity. Not exactly carefree subjects, even relative to the rest of our top 10.

This is the issue for me about these claims that he's a great lyricist. Such topics as tackled by someone like Morrissey would have endless quotable lines, but there is no such thing on Teens of Denial IMO, partially because of the production that buries his enunciation and partially because self-help poetry isn't necessarily effective lyricism. I mean, what the hell is Drunk Drivers really about beyond the surface level?

This is the issue for me about these claims that he's a great lyricist. Such topics as tackled by someone like Morrissey would have endless quotable lines, but there is no such thing on Teens of Denial IMO, partially because of the production that buries his enunciation and partially because self-help poetry isn't necessarily effective lyricism. I mean, what the hell is Drunk Drivers really about beyond the surface level?

I mean, you've got Niels saying just a few posts ago how funny and memorable the lyrics are, so it's obviously subjective. I'd put Will Toledo up there with the most quotable lyricists in rock right now, he reminds me a lot of David Berman of Silver Jews and his ability to take really depressing songs about existential terror and ennui and bring them to life with half a dozen standout lines.

Drunk Drivers is, like much of the album, a song about leaving a party full of people you don't like doing things you don't approve of purely because you don't want to be alone anymore and slowly finding yourself no longer resembling the person you want to be:

"It's too late to articulate it
That empty feeling
You share the same fate as the people you hate
You build yourself up against others' feelings
And it left you feeling empty as a car coasting downhill
I have become such a negative person
It was all just an act
It was all so easily stripped away
But if we learn how to live like this
Maybe we can learn how to start again
Like a child who's never done wrong
Who hasn't taken that first step"

And maybe that stanza (which I rank as one of my favorites of the year) is an example of self-help writing, but I consider everything around it to be more descriptive than prescriptive, which makes all the difference.

Last edited:
An album that I was truly surprised didn't get more support was Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker. I feel like it's the prototypical album that B&C loves, and I thought his passing would have left it in people's minds. It received only one vote and 3 points. Not even top-100.

This is a great point.

For those with some time on their hands, my thoughts on my fav 10 songs of the year :) https://ramblingsfromdjp.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/the-best-songs-of-2016/

Great work, Cobbler. Loved your words about Radiohead/Bowie/Solange/Carseat Headrest in particular. Though I would've singled out the title track or I Can't Give Everything Away from Blackstar before Lazarus(no dig on Lazarus though). Everything you said was spot on though. Very well written and clearly heartfelt. :up:

One thing seems to be missing from the year-end list festivities this year. Is Pazz & Jop not happening? It's usually up by now.

Before the end of January, I'm sure.

No clue what's gonna top it. Solange just doesn't seem big enough.

Could be Bowie but you never know. Maybe Frank Ocean?

This is going to end Kanye's streak, though.

Really enjoyed reading this. Nice work, gump, and thanks to all who have run this thing in the past. Everyone gave me some ideas for stuff to check out that missed me during 2016.

Here are a few records that would have made my list (which I'll finish eventually and post on RYM).

1. Beyoncé - Lemonade
I was cheated on not long before this came out, so did it EVER speak to me.

2. Run the Jewels 3

3. Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife 2
Good for doing housework, and as a yoga teacher, I'm into the track 'Do Yoga'

Also...
Sin Fang - Spaceland
For Iceland enthusiasts

Vancouver Sleep Clinic
They released a handful of singles this year, but no album. I keep 'Killing Me to Love You' on repeat.

Alex Somers - Captain Fantastic (Music from the Film)
Lovely soundtrack

Gente de Zona - Visualízate
'La Gozadera' was my Spanish jam of the year

Eliot Sumner - Information

DJ Drez - Alpine Swift
Not his best stuff but still solid

Beyond that, I listened to a lot of deep house and ambient + lots of 2015 stuff. Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom