B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

Peef started on the 18th for the 2015 thread.

Yeah, no way am I going to have a list ready before the new year begins.

Yeah, let's give it until mid-January before counting the votes...

In the meantime, here's my list. It's long-winded, so apologies in advance. I'll prepare a best songs of the year list at some point.

1. Beyoncé - Lemonade (13)
Let’s take a moment to think about this: Bey debuted the lead single of this album, a defiant ode to blackness and feminism, with a group of dancers dressed up with Black Power motifs, with a video that spoke to police brutality and abuse as well as the Katrina disaster, during the halftime show of a sport that effectively serves as one of the bastions of white male conservative culture (sorry, MLB, you don’t matter as much), a sport in which kneeling in protest is somehow a great offense but sexual abuse warrants a 2-game suspension.

The blend of personal, cultural and political is what often places an album in a higher echelon, and I feel Lemonade achieves that with room to spare. Freedom is perhaps the best example, in how it blends its themes of sexual emancipation and women empowerment with its imagery about slavery and oppression (also, the Kendrick verse absolutely rules). Musically, Lemonade moves almost seamlessly from genre to genre, flows coherently musically as well as thematically, but as any great pop album, the songs stand on their own. The above-mentioned Freedom and Formation are the obvious highlights, but Hold Up and Sorry are incredible.

Had November not happened, we would be talking about Lemonade as an embodiment of the new zeitgeist for pop culture. But now we can talk about it as one of the frontline resistance albums, together with Black Messiah and To Pimp a Butterfly. If this is top-40 pop music, give me some more.

Favorite songs: Freedom, Formation, Hold Up, Sorry.

2. Solange - A Seat At The Table (12)
What a year for the Knowles family. Beyoncé and Solange address a similar problematique and share a common starting point, but their journeys take different ways and end in somewhat contrasting mode. Lyrically and musically, whereas Lemonade is often a (rightfully) angry, protest album, A Seat At The Table is a more empathetic affair, a generous, at times more introspective, but always proud celebration of black culture as reflected in Solange's own journey of self-affirmation. The moments of outrage here, perhaps more evident in Mad and Don't You Wait, are that much more compelling because they betray her disappointment at others' lack of compassion, or their inability to relate to the African American struggle ("I'm tired of explaining/Man, this shit is draining/But I'm really not allowed to be mad", or perhaps one of the more poignant moments of the album, "I don't wanna bite the hand that will show me the other side/But I didn't want to build the land that has fed your whole life"). These little moments reveal a remarkable generosity, as if Solange expected others to be good and loving, and couldn't help but be disappointed. As illustrated in the "Black History Month" vignette, her answer is an unwavering embrace of black empowerment and of the African American experience, which reaches its apex in one of the best songs in the album, Don't Touch My Hair ("You know this hair is my shit/Rolled the rod, I gave it time/But this here is mine"). Musically, A Seat At The Table is a marvel of a record, an impeccably produced jewel that is as warm and embracing as its lyrics, music so gentle and delicate that it almost floats above us (like Cranes in the Sky).

Favorite songs: Cranes in the Sky, Don't Touch My Hair

3. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (11)
From the opening strings of Burn the Witch, A Moon Shaped Pool announced that it would be a deeply unsettling album. The piano arpeggios in Daydreaming, let alone its music video, do nothing to dispel this first impression. And while the album turns in in different, sometimes higher energy directions such as Ful Stop and Identikit (two of its best songs), you never let go of that initial sense of dread.

The unease of A Moon Shaped Pool became only too palpable now that its backstory has been revealed with the tragic passing of Thom’s longtime partner. A re-examination of its lyrical content leaves little beside utter sadness. In a way, this album will always be connected to its fellow top-10 listed Blackstar. I’m in awe of the artistry that both of these records show in the face of the worst possible tragedy (Then into your life, there comes a darkness/There's a spacecraft blocking out the sky/And there's nowhere to hide). True Love Waits becomes almost unbearable to hear. I wish this was simply a breakup album.

It seems almost pointless, at this stage, to talk about the music, given the emotional content of this record. But quite simply, I am not sure there has been a band which has been able to reach the height of its powers, and then stay there for two decades. Kid A and In Rainbows are more groundbreaking, but I think musically AMSP shows a level of sophistication that is quite remarkable for them, possibly benefitting from Radiohead’s different side projects in recent years (particularly Jonny Greenwood’s composing). The breadth of compositions here is striking, from the quasi-postmodern string patterns in Burn the Witch and the classical elements of The Numbers to the bossa nova-inspired rhythm of Present Tense, this is certainly the most diverse Radiohead album yet. Yet, it all fits together quite nicely, both musically and thematically.

Favorite songs: Burn the Witch, Ful Stop, Identikit.

4. Frank Ocean - Blonde (11)
While I admired the artistry in Blonde from my first very listen, it took me months to really get to enjoy and love the music. My first reaction was to grumble at the lack of the hooks that are so abundant in Channel Orange. Where are those beats? Those synths? Where is Pyramid? But it wasn’t him, it was me, as I realized later. Much like 22, A Million, Blonde wears a veil of distortion and digital effects to cover its sincerity and vulnerability. But look underneath, and the hooks are still there. The end of Self Control is as compelling as anything he’s ever recorded, that howling sound halfway through the song could be Frank’s way of telling us not to miss it. The hooks are just different: no longer in rhythm and harmony for the most part, but in melodies, and more particularly in his voice. I’m not sure there are many artists who could have made the line “I thought that I was dreaming/when you said you loved me” not sound kitsch. Ocean makes it the best moment of the record, a heartfelt confession that makes the rest of Ivy that much more touching. On closer examination, Blonde feels more inviting than embracing than almost any record this year (A Seat at the Table does, too, but at a completely different level). In a year as appalling as 2016, with the worst possibly still ahead of us, it’s as if Frank acknowledged our anxiety and offered, if not hope, at least the understanding that there is still kindness and caring to be found out there.

Favorite songs: Ivy, Siegfried, Nikes

Bonus lyric: “Said she need a ring like Carmelo / Must be on that white like Othello”

5. David Bowie - Blackstar (11)
I remain in absolute awe of Bowie and Blackstar. Out of the five records at the top of my list, I have little doubt that this is the one that will have the most staying power. Even without its backstory, this was poised to be Bowie's best album in at least two decades (and I'm a huge fan of The Next Day). But then it became clear that this was Bowie's goodbye, perhaps making Blackstar an unparalleled achievement. How many artists - not only musicians - had the strength of character and artistic virtuosity to release such a major work about their own imminent passing? Again, this leaves me in awe. As before, Bowie manages to evoke a certain Englishness - that unflinching resolution in face of tragedy - while making it universally resonant. Bowie's foray into jazz was not a first, but the embracing of what can be almost defined as free jazz to give depth, vibrancy and color to his music leaves me with echoes of To Pimp a Butterfly. Bowie's courage to continue pushing boundaries until literally his last days will forever remain as testament of his role as one of the handful most important artists of the last 50 years.

Favorite songs: Lazarus, I Can't Give Everything Away

6. Anderson.Paak - Malibu (10)
Malibu would top a list of the most fun albums of 2016, and Paak is undoubtedly one of this year’s bright new revelations (I hate the “best new artist” that has been thrown around for him; did people simply ignore the existence of Venice?). His music is infectious, flowing seamlessly between pop, funk, hip hop and R&B, a blend of Kendrick and D’Angelo on Whisky and Red Bull. His live show is top notch too, especially when he plays the drums.

Favorite songs: The Season | Carry Me (special mention for the synth line), Heart Don’t Stand a Chance, Am I Wrong

7. Angel Olsen - My Woman (9)
Female singer-songwriters who can cross over pop, folk and “indie” divides are my number 1 weak spot. My Woman does all that, but much more too. My Woman is two albums in one, an energetic and outspoken first half followed by a more meditative, introspective and yet inventive second half. I can't help feeling that this is Olsen's circumspect way of responding to the straightjacket that critics have tried to put on her music.

Favorite songs: Sister, Pops, Woman

8. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered (7)
The fact that Butterfly’s outtakes are so good just show how incredible that album was. That said, Untitled Unreleased stands as its own work of art, though I can’t help thinking that this could easily be an all-timer with a little more production work on some of these tracks. Untitled 2, for example, sounded significantly better live, Kendrick’s long verse at the end gaining an emotional resonance that the album version only scratches the surface. Despite the nature of this release, there is not a weak track here, and Untitled Unmastered offered new hints about Kendrick's incredible versatility, down to the bossa nova beats of Untitled 06.

Favorite songs: Untitled 2, Untitled 6

9. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here - Thank You 4 Your Service (5)
We Got It From Here is blunt, in-your-face, angry and yet one of the most fun albums of the year. It is a perfect counterpoint to the more polite socially conscious albums from 2016 - A Seat at the Table in particular - by calling out injustices wherever they are. Cranes in the Sky is a beautiful image for a gorgeous song, but in this moment I feel we also needed something as direct as We The People… or The Killing Season.

Favorite songs: We The People, Kids, The Space Program

10. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo (3)
This album is such a glorious mess. The most uneven Kanye album in a while, but its peaks are higher than just about any other artist could hope for. Ultralight Beam is about as perfect as an opener can be. Kanye makes me hate myself for actually enjoying Famous despite its mean-spiritedness and misogyny. And how can you not get thrilled at No More Parties in LA, or choked at some of the tender moments of this album, like Real Friends. It’s uneven, though, which prevents it from being higher on the list. A mess. Just like Kanye.

Favorite songs: Ultralight beam, No More Parties in LA

11. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial (2)
12. Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book (2)
13. Carly Rae Jepsen – EMOTION Side B (2)
14. Chairlift - Moth (1)
15. Parquet Courts - Human Performance (1)

The next 15:
Elza Soares - A Mulher no Fim do Mundo
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Esperanza Spalding - Emily’s D + Evolution
PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
Nick Cave - Skeleton Key
Mitski - Puberty 2
Charles Bradley - Changes
ANOHNI - Hopelessness
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
Frankie Cosmos - Next Thing
Okkervil River - Away
Melissa Aldana - Back Home*
Brad Mehldau - Blues and Balads
Jamila Woods - Heavn

* Best jazz album of 2016

Excellent write-ups.

I will say I'll be glad to he done hearing about Lemonade and to a lesser extent A Moon Shaped Pool once this year is behind us though.

Is that a word? French?? What's it mean?

Lovely writeups all, gump, loved your words on Blackstar. Awe is right.

My top 15.

1. Bowie - Blackstar (15)
2. Radiohead - AMSP (14)
3. Kanye - TLOP (10)
4. Nick Cave & TBS - Skeleton Tree (9)
5. Tribe - We Got it From Here (8)
6. Solange - Seat at the Table (7)
7. Frank Ocean - Blonde (7)
8. Paul Dempsey - Strange Loop (6)
9. Bon Iver - 22, a Million (5)
10. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial (5)
11. Chance - Colouring Book (5)
12. Kendrick Lamar - untitled, unmastered (3)
13. ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face (3)
14. Jesu & Sun Kil Moon (2)
15. The Avalanches - Wildflower (1)

Map of the Problematique is a great song.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Bonus points for using the word "problematique."

Is that a word? French?? What's it mean?

Thanks guys. And ha. I guess that was a slip. I refrain from using that word a lot because it's so overused in other languages - I am pretty sure 90% of graduate papers written in France contain a section that starts with "La problématique ...", but it kind of works.

My top 15.

1. Bowie - Blackstar (15)
2. Radiohead - AMSP (14)
3. Kanye - TLOP (10)
4. Nick Cave & TBS - Skeleton Tree (9)
5. Tribe - We Got it From Here (8)
6. Solange - Seat at the Table (7)
7. Frank Ocean - Blonde (7)
8. Paul Dempsey - Strange Loop (6)
9. Bon Iver - 22, a Million (5)
10. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial (5)
11. Chance - Colouring Book (5)
12. Kendrick Lamar - untitled, unmastered (3)
13. ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face (3)
14. Jesu & Sun Kil Moon (2)
15. The Avalanches - Wildflower (1)

I need to spend more time with The Avalanches, which I feel I've overlooked this year.

10. Bat for Lashes: The Bride (5)

Natasha Khan goes full-on Gothic in what feels like her attempt at The Cure's Disintegration. The Bride's dedication to its concept is total, which given the subject matter results in less immediacy and more slow-burning tracks. Texture over hooks is definitely the ethos of the second half, which works splendidly as a showcase for her vocals, which have always been the main draw for me and are just as spellbinding here as ever. Fans of Daniel will also find something to like in Sunday Love and In God's House, which both show her effortless synthesis of melancholia and melody. I think The Bride will ultimately be seen as a transitional album for her, in which she started to find a balance of her conceptual and pop sides.

Standout track: In God's House

5. Tim Hecker: Love Streams (9)

Make this four home runs in a row for Tim Hecker. I don't think there is a more consistent artist on the indie scene right now, nor one with such an immediately-recognizable signature that nonetheless never goes stagnant. After a few overcast, wintry albums in Ravedeath and Virgins, Love Streams brightens up a bit, it's constituent pieces more defined in the mix. Though Hecker has never had issues with breadth, the chorals open up a new mood range for him, and they are used to simultaneously lively and chilling effect. Music of the Air is a good example, with indecipherable male and female vocals interspersed to give a feeling of both immediacy and distance. Much like Virgins, there is something desolate about Love Streams, but where the former sounded cold and spacious, like the inside of the abandoned mansion pictured on the cover, the latter has more texture and reverberation, feeling more like a forest scene at sunrise. The ease with which Hecker's music paints these visual scenes is one of his calling cards and a characteristic that makes him the most evocative ambient artist working right now.

Standout track: Castrati Stack

These were fantastic reads on two additional albums I've overlooked this year. I feel Tim Hecker remains significantly underrated.

I need to spend more time with The Avalanches, which I feel I've overlooked this year.

These were fantastic reads on two additional albums I've overlooked this year. I feel Tim Hecker remains significantly underrated.

It seems inevitable that I'm going to rank Wildflower higher than anyone else will and that makes me sad. 2016 needed an album like Wildflower, something dripping with nostalgia that still inspires you to go out and live. That one is always a pick me up.

Agreed on Hecker too, I don't get how that one went under the radar.

A 2016 album I just heard today that really took me by surprise was the new Childish Gambino. That thing is damn good and might have crept into my top 15 had I heard it earlier.

I'm amazed at how little new music I've exposed myself to this year. My heart's been more in things I've already heard, I guess. Five years ago me is cringing that I haven't even listened to new Radiohead. I just don't find I have the time nowadays and when I do have the time, I've been more interested in recording music and learning how to become a better producer (if any of you would like to ever hear any of my/my band's works in progress and give feedback, let me know). And I haven't done any of that in the last month.

Someday I'll listen to a lot of new music again, but probably not for awhile. I'm still in heavy mourning. Thanks for all the comments in the other thread with condolences and whatnot. Christmas was pretty shitty this year. It's been a month now since we found out the bad news.

Such a fantastic year in music that I'm pretty sure I will regret my list the moment I post it, but I'll stick with this:

1 Bitchin Bajas & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Epic Jammers and Fortunate Little Ditties (11)
2 Deerhoof - The Magic (11)
3 Freakwater - Scheheradze (11)
4 Pixies - Head Carrier (11)
5 The Handsome Family - Unseen (11)
6 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree (8)
7 Underworld - Barbara, Barbara, We Face a Shining Future (8)
8 Nicholas Godin - Contrepoint (7)
9 Kristin Hersh - Wyatt at the Coyote Palace (6)
10 The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation (4)
11 Tanya Tagaq - Retribution (3)
12 The Orb - COW / Chill Out, World! (3)
13 Flock of Dimes - If You See Me, Say Yes (2)
14 Robert Pollard - Of Course You Are (2)
15 Ian William Craig - Centres (2)

20 albums that are missing out in alphabetical order:
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Bullion - Loop the Loop
Case / Lang / Veirs - Case / Lang / Veirs
Colin Stetson - Sorrow - A Reimagining of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony
Daniel Romano - Mosey
Eleanor Friedberger - New View
Kacy & Clayton - Strange Country
Kevin Morby - Singing Saw
Lambchop - Flotus
Leonard Cohen - You want it darker
Lucinda Williams - The Ghosts of Highway 20
PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
Paul Simon - Stranger to Stranger
Ray Lamontagne - Ouroboros
Savages - Adore Life
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
Tindersticks - The Waiting Room
Tony Joe White - Rain Crow
Tortoise - The Catastrophist
A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here… Thank You 4 Your service

The Eleanor Friedberger album came out such a long time ago that I completely forgot to include it in my list. Glad to see it in your honorable mentions.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1. Rihanna - Anti (15)
2. The I Don't Cares - Wild Stab (13)
3. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial (12)
4. David Bowie -Blackstar (10)
5. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (9)
6. Deap Vally - Femejism (9)
7. Angel Olsen - My Woman (8)
8. Kaytranada - 99.9% (8)
9. Bon Iver - 22, A Million (6)
10. Johnny Foreigner - Mono No Aware (5)
11. Warpaint - Heads Up (5)
12. Underworld - Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future (5)
13. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered (1)
14. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... (1)
15. Solange - A Seat At The Table (1)

Nice list, Laz. I might have to check out Wild Stab, which I completely overlooked.

Another album I forgot about was Andrew Bird's Are You Serious. Not top-10 material, but there's a lot to like in it. Deserving of a honorable mention at least.

Before we get to my list, I have a couple of other music-related end-of-year items to list. I saw a total of 69 different sets by various artists over the past 12 months. If anyone is interested, my ten favorite concerts can be found here:

https://thecasualgeekery.com/2016/12/30/the-year-in-review-concerts-2016/

I also took a ton of photos, including a couple of shows where I got press passes and brought my SLR. You can see my 40 favorites shots here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskLcjiaV

Now, onto my list. I wrote a bit about my favorite moments for the top 10 albums and ultimately have a full list of 40, with points only assigned to the top 15. Again, for those interested, I reviewed several of these records throughout the year and included hyperlinks to the site where I write.

40. Emily Jane White: We Moved in Shadow Together
39. Esme Patterson: We Were Wild
38. Duchess Says: Sciences Nouvelles
37. Red Hot Chili Peppers: The Getaway
36. Erica Freas: Patient Ones
35. Joseph: I'm Alone, No You're Not
34. Honeyblood: Babes Never Die
33. Steven Wilson: 4 1/2
32. Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein: Stranger Things Vol. 1 and 2
31. Japanese Breakfast: Psychopomp
30. Solange: A Seat At The Table
29. School of Seven Bells: SVIIB
28. The Joy Formidable: Hitch
27. Lucy Dacus: No Burden
26. Avers: Omega/Whatever
25. Lucius: Good Grief
24. S U R V I V E: RR7349
23. Sleigh Bells: Jessica Rabbit
22. Preoccupations: s/t
21. Foxtails Brigade: Foxtails Brigade
20. Metallica: Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
19. Minor Victories: Minor Victories
18. Opeth: Sorceress
17. The Casket Girls: The Night Machines
16. Lady Lamb: Tender Warriors Club

15. Nine Inch Nails: Not the Actual Events (1)

14. Leonard Cohen: You Want It Darker (3)

13. Shearwater: Jet Plane and Oxbow (3)

12. PJ Harvey: The Hope Six Demolition Project (3)

11. Astronautalis: Cut The Body Loose (4)

10. Mother Feather: Mother Feather (4)

Favorite moments: The fuzzy riff on "Living, Breathing." Ann Courtney's vocals on "Mirror." The unexpected lightness of "Beach House."

9. Angel Olsen: MY WOMAN (5)

Favorite moments: The synth line of "Intern." The playfulness of "Shut Up Kiss Me." All of "Sister." Olsen's belting vocals that close out "Woman."

8. Sarah Neufeld: The Ridge (5)

Favorite moments: The spacey, cinematic feeling in the title track. The transition that transforms "A Long Awaited Scar" into a completely different song. The beautiful, airy vocal on "They All Came Down." Neufeld's finger-picking on "The Glow."

7. Mitski: Puberty 2 (7)

Favorite moments: The mechanical percussion and drunk saxophones of "Happy." The anxious guitar strums of "My Body's Made of Crushed Little Stars." Everything about "Your Best American Girl," especially the build-up to that amazing solo. Mitski's vocal take on "Crack Baby."

6. Bat For Lashes: The Bride (7)

Favorite moments: The warped wedding organ and Natasha Khan's vocals on "In God's House." That propulsive beat on "Sunday Love." The slow burn of "Never Forgive The Angels." "If I Knew," which is as strong a piano track as "Laura."

5. Savages: Adore Life (9)

Favorite moments: The last 30 seconds of "Adore," with the band gradually getting louder as Jehnny Beth's belts out "Do you adore life? I adore life." in her upper range. The punk of "T.I.W.Y.G." Gemma Thompson's shredding guitar riff in "The Answer." How "I Need Something New" starts with just Beth's voice before the band kicks in. The rhythm section in "Evil."

4. Bon Iver: 22, A Million (10)

Favorite moments: Vernon's delivery of "fuckified" in "10 Deathbreast." The piano melody, samples and outro of "33 God." The Mahalia Jackson sample in "22 (Over Soon)." The way Vernon sings "Canonize" in "29 #Strafford APTS." The piano hymn of "00000 Million."

3. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Skeleton Tree (11)

Favorite moments: The haunting atmosphere in "Jesus Alone." The fragile, glassy sounds of "Rings of Saturn." Cave's vocal delivery in "Magneto" and "I Need You," the latter of which nearly drove me to tears. Else Torp's vocals on "Distant Sky." The lyrics throughout the entire album, ending beautifully with "And it's alright now..."

2. Radiohead: A Moon Shaped Pool (13)

Favorite moments: The driving strings of "Burn the Witch." Thom Yorke's piano and vocals on "Daydreaming." The groove in "Ful Stop." "Identikit" giving us a fantastic solo by Jonny Greenwood, along with a fantastic choir performance for the chorus. The strings on "Glass Eyes." Yorke's performance on "Present Tense" and "True Love Waits."

1. David Bowie: BLACKSTAR (15)

Favorite moments: Everything about the title track, from its opening creepiness, to the way it transitions between sections, to Bowie's sometimes spiritual, sometimes playful vocal performance. "Lazarus." Just "Lazarus." The drunk-esque playing of "Tis A Pity She Was a Whore." "Where the fuck did Monday go?" The sample of "A New Career In A New Town" in "I Can't Give Everything Away."

So am I the only one who dug the White Lung album?

I did, definitely. But probably not enough to make my 15.

Can't wait to see them later this month. Their first trip to Australia came just before the release of Deep Fantasy, so they played a bunch of songs from it but the only one anybody actually knew was "Drown With the Monster".

I've just finished the first partial vote count. We already have 79 different albums that have received points, including 33 that have received at least 10 points. It's quite a diverse list.

There's a neck-and-neck race for first place. 5th and 10th place are separated by only 11 points, so new votes will have a big impact on the final placement. So vote, people. We'll try to close this by January 15.

Laz: I believe you gave more than 100 points in your list. Could you take a look and get back to me?

Back
Top Bottom