B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that Weyes Blood album. A lot. There are moments when the drumming reminds me of late 60s Ringo, which is a huge compliment.

The first half of her album is definitely rock. The second half is not.

Sister is such a great song.

Oh yes. It's one of my favorite songs of the year. I'm annoyed that everyone seems to pick Shut Up Kiss Me for their end of year lists, and it's not even the best song on that album!

Another favorite moment from the Angel Olsen record: that little piano line on Pops. It's just so simple and wonderful.

I like this Solange album, but I can't help but feel she's kind of an average vocalist. None of these songs really take off vocally.

I mean, honestly, I didn't feel that album was much of a revelation as such. It was extremely well crafted and soulful, however. A great listen all around.

Not even close to this year's best or most important album though. Tribe's album captured this cultural moment better and their heyday was over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
The only song I've heard from that is We the People, and that one's a bit on the nose thematically, isn't it?

So after browsing this list, these are the artists whose albums I opted to catch up on:

Esperanza Spalding
Anohni
Hamilton Leithauser + Rotsam
Bon Iver
Frankie Cosmos
Katyranada
Car Seat Headrest

I'll feel comfortable making a list by Monday, I'm guessing.

Here's an update:

The Hamilton/Rotsam: good, not sure if it's something I'd put into hey rotation.

Esperanza Spalding: much jazzier than I expected, pleasant but not too exciting.

Anohni: only halfway through so far, the tracks are good but not really into the voice that much

Car Seat Headrest: holy shit I really slept on this one. Obviously Pavement-derivative (to name one influence) but it's damn good. And the guy isn't afraid to go long on several tracks. Dirty guitar sound is just perfect, but wish there was a little more personality in his voice. I remember people talking about this months ago, need to go hunt down the conversation. But this is great stuff, will definitely be high on my list.

The only song I've heard from that is We the People, and that one's a bit on the nose thematically, isn't it?

Yeah and it kicks ass.

Niggas in the hood living in a fishbowl!
Gentrify here, now it ain't a shithole!

Car Seat Headrest: holy shit I really slept on this one. Obviously Pavement-derivative (to name one influence) but it's damn good. And the guy isn't afraid to go long on several tracks. Dirty guitar sound is just perfect, but wish there was a little more personality in his voice. I remember people talking about this months ago, need to go hunt down the conversation. But this is great stuff, will definitely be high on my list.

:up: I (and Xgau, among others) have been championing his music all year. His breakthrough from bandcamp to Matador to adoration in the mainstream press is one of the best stories of 2016.

Last edited:

The Anohi album was a great revelation for me. Her voice is hit or miss, of course, but I loved most Antony and the Johnsons albums, so I really appreciated this new, James Blake-inspired direction.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:

Yeah and it kicks ass.

Niggas in the hood living in a fishbowl!
Gentrify here, now it ain't a shithole!

I love so many songs off that album. Ego is great. Conrad Tokyo is fantastic (some of it wouldn't be out of place in How to Pimp a Butterfly), and Kendrick's verse is a nice addition. Really, I have no complaints at all.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
The first half of that Angel Olsen album is nothing more than fun rock-pop if you ask me. I don't get the love for Shut Up Kiss Me either. It's just a fun, vivacious three-and-a-half minute rock song. Stock standard. The jewels are in the back end. Sister is a million times better.

The first half of that Angel Olsen album is nothing more than fun rock-pop if you ask me. I don't get the love for Shut Up Kiss Me either. It's just a fun, vivacious three-and-a-half minute rock song. Stock standard. The jewels are in the back end. Sister is a million times better.

Basically. But the album is def Top 10-worthy overall.

Give It Up almost sounds like a Courtney Barnett song.

My top 10 songs of the year:

=1 - Kanye West - "Real Friends (ft. Ty Dolla $ign)"
=1 - David Bowie - "Lazarus"
3 - Radiohead - "Daydreaming"
4 - Ariana Grande - "Into You"
5 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Skeleton Tree"
6 - Bon Iver - 33 "God"
7 - Kanye West - "Ultralight Beam (ft. Chance the Rapper, Kelly Price, The-Dream & Kirk Franklin)"
8 - ScHoolboy Q - "Groovy Tony / Eddie Kane (ft. Jadakiss)"
9 - Solange - "Cranes in the Sky"
10 - Car Seat Headrest - "Destroyed By Hippie Powers"

I heard a remix of an Ariana song that was fantastic. It might have been Into You. People shouldn't sleep on her ear for a great pop song.

would be cool to do a best songs of 2016 thread.

Album list is cool, but i gotta admit, i usually only have time to really ingest albums of artists that I am a fan of, and i have a lot more fun finding outstanding songs from a variety of artists from the year.

Back
Top Bottom