B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am flummoxed you haven't heard it. You were like the first person to comment when it was announced. You were excited he was going back to a folk sound. Fuck's wrong with you.

I don't know. The mood never completely struck me for some reason after reading all the talk about its heavy lyrical subject matter. And I never saw it in stock at my favorite record store. Like all year. I should have just ordered it on Amazon or somethin.

I really should've added Black Fast album (Term of Surrender) or Intronaut. but I guess you guys arent so into Metal-ish genre

We used to have a lot of metal fans here, including Axver, but even he seems to be distancing himself from it a bit. Or at least expanding his horizons to the point that you can't reasonably call him a metalhead.

I listen to a surprising amount of metal, but it's all old school thrash. I usually have to force myself to listen to new stuff and it's almost all atmospheric black metal that's borderline post-rock anyway.

Last edited:
We used to have a lot of metal fans here, including Axver, but even he seems to be distancing himself from it a bit. Or at least expanding his horizons to the point that you can't reasonably call him a metalhead.

I listen to a surprising amount of metal, but it's all old school thrash. I usually have to force myself to listen to new stuff and it's almost all atmospheric black metal that's borderline post-rock anyway.

Yeah at the moment it's all about black metal and blackgaze for me - and sludge metal and stoner metal are still on my radar, but not a whole lot has leapt out at me lately from those two. I've lost most interest in prog metal or death metal, and I never cared for any pre-nineties metal like thrash or NWOBHM. I'm definitely no longer impressed by bands that are hyper-technical for the sake of being hyper-technical; I want some proper fucking songcraft. Hence I just roll my eyes at most tech death.

Though power metal has to be the most unlistenable metal genre. No, generic power metal band number 59,004, I do not care about your shitty fantasy novel.

Stoner metal, huh? That makes sense because every single metal fan I've ever met in real life is a stoner.

I might have stepped intothe unescapable territory of prog metal as I liked that track so much.

I actually like some thrash like early Metallica (pre-Black album?) but I don't like so called classic metal (Rainbow/DP, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden).
It is also true that I'm leaning toward more alt rock or indie (like Wolf Alice) even some experimental electronica (Daniel Lopatin, anyone?) these days rather than simple hard rock. so even if I listen to hard rock, I need some song-y/melodic elements. like Baroness. Or Soundgarden. that's why I praised Failure as I was really getting into their past works (especially Fantastic Planet or Magnified) as they have noise rock element as well as alt rock sounds with touch of pop sensibility.

But I will say this, Pantera is fucking amazing

Last edited:
I think the real crime here is there were no out of context quotes regarding chavurches like there were for everything else.

Basically nobody fucking talked about Chvrches or Purity Ring on here based on my searches, yet there they are in the Top 10. Do with that what you will.

I think there's a general affinity for modern synthpop in B&C. Put a girl over some keyboards and it has a chance of cracking the top 25.

Last edited:
I'm an unrepentant fan of synthpop and generally only listen to music that's from the last decade, so you won't hear any objection from me over that.

I admire the shit out of the Kendrick album, but get basically zero pleasure from listening to it.

I admittedly ranked Chvrches higher than it probably deserved but I love synthpop.

Again, no one should be surprised Kendrick Lamar didn't rank higher on a U2 message board when only 20 people submitted lists and several of those people don't care for hip hop

Last edited:
If there's ever going to be a hip-hop album with cross-over appeal for B&C, Butterfly should have been it. One of the tracks samples Pyramid Song for Christ's sake.

I think the Chvrches album is really strong, and has one of my favorite songs of the year in Clearest Blue. I really admire TPAB, though, and rationally I think it should have finished closer to the top, even though I ranked it below Every Open Eye in my own list. I just derive more pleasure from listening to the latter, even though the former is most likely superior art. Not sure if that makes sense, but oh well.

Speaking of a girl over keyboards, I'm pretty happy with the Grimes placement.

I admittedly ranked Chvrches higher than it probably deserved but I love synthpop.

Again, no one should be surprised Kendrick Lamar didn't rank higher on a U2 message board when only 20 people submitted lists and several of those people don't care for hip hop
It's not exactly surprising but still a bit disappointing. Especially when such an average album like Every Eye Open finishes above it.

I don't get the appeal for CHVRCHES in general really. Their music is so safe. You only have to look at Grimes to find a more ambitious album in the same genre. Luckily that album finished higher.

Chvrches really do not interest me, but there's nothing wrong with them either. Most of their music is nice to have on and occasionally a song will jump out at me. The buildup on Clearest Blue is really cool.

It's a shame that Susanne Sundfor's album didn't get more love here because it's in the same vein and to my ears a million times better. I think a lot of people here would love it if they gave it a chance:

Last edited:
Grimes album reminded me too much of Hatune Miku songs or whatever; pretty happy sounding, overly-energetic pop which is fine, but not necessarily my type. As much as Im Japanese, I hate those songs. That may explain why I hated Sophie songs. CHVRCHES are great, but Every Open Eye is....boring, kinda made me go "meh". I know they might have experienced some pressure to reproduce album with the quality of The Bones of What You Believe, but..... I don't know, I may be just feeling too bitter for artists. I still like them, though, as I like Lauren's voice. or her general cuteness.

I've actually never heard a CHVRCHES song. I didn't listen to the debut and didn't listen to this one either.

If there's ever going to be a hip-hop album with cross-over appeal for B&C, Butterfly should have been it. One of the tracks samples Pyramid Song for Christ's sake.

It doesn't actually sample Pyramid Song, I think that was actually live band music that just sounds very similar. But Hood Politics does sample Sufjan's All for Myself.

Well, Kendrick would've at least placed over the insipid Churches had I turned a list in. My bad, gang.

Yeah, this top 10 list definitely proves to me that I am not of the same taste as many of you. I have very little interest in synth pop and absolutely no interest in hip hop. I'm really hoping guitar driven rock makes a revival soon.

Yeah, this top 10 list definitely proves to me that I am not of the same taste as many of you. I have very little interest in synth pop and absolutely no interest in hip hop. I'm really hoping guitar driven rock makes a revival soon.

Im really hoping the return of rock as well, though I don't see it in the close future; the live instrumentation is back in the mainstream, but.....whether they're "rock" sounding is kinda separate problem. I kinda start liking synthpop though. After hearing that ISIS hates synthesizers.

Back
Top Bottom