B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright let's do this. I haven't completed my full list for RYM but I the content of the top fifteen is settled. What a year for music - allocating points for this was brutal. My original distribution added up to something like 130 and even then I felt like I was selling short the albums lower down the ranking. Definitely the best year for music in a while.

1. Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool (15)
2. Purity Ring – Another Eternity (15)
3. Westkust – Last Forever (11)
4. Ethereal Shroud – They Became the Falling Ash (9)
5. The Chills – Silver Bullets (7)
6. Dorsal Fins – Mind Renovation (7)
7. Grimes – Art Angels (7)
8. Thrushes – Exposing Seas (7)
9. Neøv – Dominique (5)
10. Eternal Summers – Gold and Stone (5)
11. Chvrches – Every Open Eye (5)
12. Turnover – Peripheral Vision (3)
13. Shana Falana – Set Your Lightning Fire Free (2)
14. Marriages – Salome (1)
15. Ghost Bath – Moonlover (1)

I expect some of those will be well known to most of you, but a few comments on the more obscure ones: Dorsal Fins made some killer indie psychedelia; Eternal Summers and The Chills bring satisfying jangle; Westkust and Thrushes are very bright shoegaze stars; Turnover made an incredibly heartfelt and evocative Midwest emo album with an indie rock template; Neøv's brand of indie rock is wonderfully expansive; Marriages are labelled as post-rock and shoegaze on RYM but their dark and mysterious album isn't really either of those things; Shana Falana's dream pop draws equally on goth rock and sixties girl group; and although Ethereal Shroud have outdone Ghost Bath for best atmospheric black metal release, Ghost Bath have the winning song with the appropriately titled "Golden Number", sure to become a blackgaze classic.

Other categories?

Best releases from previous years that I did not hear until 2015 (oddly enough, all apart from #5 are EPs):
1. Flyying Colours - Flyying Colours
2. Hideous Towns - Hideous Towns
3. Bloodhounds on My Trail - Escape
4. Luna Ghost - Luna Ghost
5. Young Galaxy - Invisible Republic

Worst albums:
1. Muse - Drones
2. Muse - Drones
3. Muse - Drones
4. Muse - Drones
5. Muse - Drones

Fuck me what an atrocious and embarrassing album.

Disappointments:
1. Ascetic - Everything Is Becoming (this dull, ponderous effort is a poor follow-up to their killer post-punk/goth debut)
2. A Place to Bury Strangers - Transfixiation (I love these guys and expect much better; I don't feel as let down as I did on first listen but it's far away from their best and the vocals are poor)
3. Neon Indian - Vega Int'l Night School (apparently I'm the only person who thinks this has nothing on his first two albums, but at least it was fun live)
4. Ms Mr - How Does It Feel (cheesy and inconsistent)
5. Young Galaxy - Falsework (like APTBS, I expect great things and this simply fails to resonate like their previous material)

I could include some other albums here, but I'm really only counting established bands where I expected better. I'm hardly surprised Silversun Pickups weren't that exciting because the previous album was already a step down; I wasn't a big fan of Twerps or Royal Headache to begin with; and although the likes of Hop Along and Girlpool fell far short of the hype it's hard to call a band I'd never heard before a disappointment.

Best EPs:
1. Yumi Zouma - EP II
2. Communions - Communions
3. Flyying Colours - ROYGBIV
4. Eves the Behaviour - Eves the Behaviour
5. Deafcult - Deafcult

Best songs:

(This is copied from my RYM work in progress, in alphabetical order and only one song per artist; it was meant to be 20 but I accidentally entered 22 and I cannot be bothered removing any.)

Best Coast - "California Nights" (California Nights)
The Chills - "Underwater Wasteland" (Silver Bullets)
CHVRCHES - "Never Ending Circles" (Every Open Eye)
Dorsal Fins - "Monday Tuesday" (Mind Renovation)
Eternal Summers - "The Roses" (Gold and Stone)
Eves the Behavior - "Electrical" (Eves the Behavior)
Ghost Bath - "Golden Number" (Moonlover)
Grimes - "Flesh Without Blood" (Art Angels)
HEALTH - "Stonefist" (Death Magic)
Marriages - "Binge" (Salome)
NEØV - "Garden Road Sphere" (Dominique)
Purity Ring - "Flood on the Floor" (Another Eternity)
Saycet - "Mirages" (Mirage)
Shana Falana - "Heavenstay" (Set Your Lightning Fire Free)
Surf City - "One Too Many Things" (Jekyll Island)
Thrushes - "Katydid" (Exposing Seas)
Turnover - "Dizzy on the Comedown" (Peripheral Vision)
Voltaire Twins - "Goodnight, Spirit" (Milky Waves)
Westkust - "Easy" (Last Forever)
Wolf Alice - "Lisbon" (My Love Is Cool)
The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - "I Can Be Afraid of Everything" (Harmlessness)
Yumi Zouma - "Song for Zoe and Gwen" (EP II)

I wish I loved the rest of the album as much as I love Stonefist and LA Looks. The rest is decent and consistent, but not strong enough to elevate it into my top fifteen. It currently places about 25th for me. But goddamn, Stonefist, what a song.

I didn't think Health had such a good album in them. I didn't care for either of the predecessors.

Moonlover came out in 2015? God I completely forgot to listen to that.

Okay, my list. Will have more to add when I have an internet connection but here's mine.

Kendrick - To Pimp a Butterfly, 15
Sufjan - Carrie & Lowell, 12
Hot Chip - Why Make Sense?, 10
Tame Impala - Currents, 10
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes..., 9
D'Angelo - Black Messiah, 9
Destroyer - Poison Season, 9
Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness, 8
Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer, 5
Natalie Prass - s/t, 4
Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear, 3
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Colour, 2
Jamie XX - In Colour, 2
Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Surf, 1
Colin Stetson & Sara Neufeld - Never Were the Way She Was, 1

Fuck, forgot Neon Indian. Chuck it above Julia Holter, move the rest down a spot, same points. So Stetson/Neufeld miss out. Suspect Grimes would make it too but I haven't listened to it enough.

1. sufjan stevens -carrie and lowell (15)
2. chvrches - every open eye (13)
3. grimes - art angels (11)
4. tame impala - currents (10)
5. viet cong- viet cong (9)
6. courtney barnett - sometimes i sit.. (8)
7. new order - music complete (7)
8. kendrick lamar - to pimp a butterfly (6)
9. alabama shakes - sound & color (5)
10. hot chip - why make sense? (5)
11. purity ring - antoher eternity (4)
12. silversun pickups - better nature (3)
13. deerhunter - fading fontier (2)
14. duran duran = paper gods (1) - for Khan
15. pond - man it feels like space again (1) - for Mikal

Not much to say except I thought 2015 was a great year for music and Carrie and Lowell is maybe my favorite album of the decade thus far.

Worst albums:
1. Muse - Drones
2. Muse - Drones
3. Muse - Drones
4. Muse - Drones
5. Muse - Drones

I'm surprised you didn't include new Coldplay album in this genre though I understand the amount of hate you have toward Drones

Fuck, forgot Neon Indian. Chuck it above Julia Holter, move the rest down a spot, same points. So Stetson/Neufeld miss out. Suspect Grimes would make it too but I haven't listened to it enough.

Didn't that D'angelo album cone out last year anyway?

I wish I loved the rest of the album as much as I love Stonefist and LA Looks. The rest is decent and consistent, but not strong enough to elevate it into my top fifteen. It currently places about 25th for me. But goddamn, Stonefist, what a song.

I didn't think Health had such a good album in them. I didn't care for either of the predecessors.

I love all of it except the last two songs. Sorta Antics-esque that way.

They had one or two great songs per album up until this point. I did like their soundtrack for Max Payne 3 quite a bit more than I should have though.

Yes, but it was so late (like literally the 30th of Dec I think) that it was essentially a 2015 album. I don't think I even heard it until halfway through Jan.

Neon Indian - Vega Int'l Night School (apparently I'm the only person who thinks this has nothing on his first two albums, but at least it was fun live)

His second record was easily his best for me, though I'd take this one over the first one. Polish Girl was maybe my favorite song of the year that record came out.

I am surprised I haven't seen Arca album listed in here. I see the album cover so often that I assume people are praising those experimental electronica like crazy

The first I've heard of his. I fucking loved it.

I haven't heard his last few albums, but I like that Feel The Lightning song from the 2015 album quite a bit.

Last edited:
I'm just speeches that I share 3-4 top 15 albums with Axver.

:lol:

Moonlover came out in 2015? God I completely forgot to listen to that.

Get onto that, man. "Golden Number" is worth it alone.

I'm surprised you didn't include new Coldplay album in this genre though I understand the amount of hate you have toward Drones

I was never a Coldplay fan so I don't torture myself with their new albums. Muse, on the other hand, are a band I once loved, and I would still rate Origin of Symmetry in a top fifty albums of all time list, probably even the top thirty. So I can't help but check out the new material, even if Absolution was the last great thing they've done. Plus it's funny to see what stupid shit Bellamy spouts.

His second record was easily his best for me, though I'd take this one over the first one. Polish Girl was maybe my favorite song of the year that record came out.

The first was such a great chillwave album, a classic of the genre and his most consistent. The second's patchier but has probably my favourite Neon Indian song, "Hex Girlfriend". The new one... total meh. Too much funk influence, for one thing. I don't feel as let down ever since I started skipping the first few tracks, and "Slumlord" is genuinely good, but I expected so much more.

Black Messiah is a 2014 album. Probably the best 2014 album.

The only reason any publications mentioned it on their lists this year is because they rushed their 2014 lists out. They're being released far too early these days in an effort to get a jump on the competition and it screws over anything released after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Yeah. Black Messiah got a lot of votes here last year (including a few AOTY votes).

Clearly bands should not release albums in December.

January also appears to be a bad idea if you want anybody to recall it by year's end.

1. Simple Songs - Jim O'Rourke (15pts)
2. The Agent Intellect - Protomartyr (14pts)
3. Universal Themes - Sun Kil Moon (14pts)
4. Divers - Joanna Newsom (12pts)
5. Gliss Riffer - Dan Deacon (10pts)
6. Viet Cong - Viet Cong (8pts)
7. Beat The Champ - The Mountain Goats (6pts)
8. Tape Hiss - Rats On Rafts (6pts)
9. My Love Is Cool - Wolf Alice (4pts)
10. Love Letters In The Age Of Steam - Christian Fitness (3pts)
11. Silver Bullets - The Chills (2pts)
12. Hotline Miami 2 OST - Various Artists (2pts)
13. Vote Of No Confidence - Sewingneedle (2pts)
14. Sun Coming Down - Ought (1pt)
15. Every Open Eye - CHVRCHES (1pt)

every open eye is not a good album but it's got good songs, which makes me feel weird about the album because individual songs are amazing but if they are put together in the album they sound so uneventful.

1. Simple Songs - Jim O'Rourke (15pts)
3. Universal Themes - Sun Kil Moon (14pts)
4. Divers - Joanna Newsom (12pts)
6. Viet Cong - Viet Cong (8pts)
7. Beat The Champ - The Mountain Goats (6pts)
12. Hotline Miami 2 OST - Various Artists (2pts)
14. Sun Coming Down - Ought (1pt)

Aww shit, I like this list.

I actually haven't heard Hotline Miami 2 but if it's anything like the first one I'll adore it.

If it wasn't a compilation, and they edited it down to the best hour it'd be in the top five, easily. Maybe even top three. There is some really good hip-hop/electronica on there.

But yeah, even despite the fact that it needs to be edited, hearing the entire thing in one go at least once is highly recommended.

Too bad I couldn't get a copy of the vinyl edition because it's banned here :(

Back
Top Bottom