B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #256
She's the One

Local Time: 09:42 AM
I tried to listen to To Pimp..., but I dodn't like the beats and the music.

My pathetic little list is coming together.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #257
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post

My pathetic little list is coming together.
Yeah I can't get into Kendrick, sorry guys. That said, I was around at a friend's on Sunday and he was playing it and it was obviously superior to the next album he put on, Father John Misty's one. Now that was actively bad.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Same here. Something about his voice rubbed me the wrong way as well, so I didn't make it far. (Same thing happened when a friend recommended I listen to alt-j)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #259
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

I adore this album and it will be in my top three or four. Catchy, to the point, and the guitars are simply wonderful.

Westkust are competing with Ethereal Shroud for my third place, who put out the atmospheric black metal album of the year. I wonder what you'll make of it? It has a distinctive, immense, stunning sound.
Those two albums are also going on my to-listen list.

This thread is making me listen to so much new music. It's great. I was kind of slacking the past few months but I'm discovering some great stuff now.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 AM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah I can't get into Kendrick, sorry guys. That said, I was around at a friend's on Sunday and he was playing it and it was obviously superior to the next album he put on, Father John Misty's one. Now that was actively bad.
Couldn't get into that FJM album either.

As for Kendrick, I listened to TPAB for the first time in a while yesterday. I'm still discovering new things when I listen to it. It's just amazing. He made such an ambitious album and he made sure he didn't fail where a lot of artists who try to make an ambitious album do fail: the songs are all great. You can easily enjoy the album without listening to his lyrics. They only make it better.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:45 AM   #261
The Male

B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math

FJM, you know, he's a funny guy and all (SAVE ME PRESIDENT JESUS), but the problem is that he knows he's a funny guy and tries to cram his speech patterns into his lyrics and he comes off like a prick. The Night John Tillman... actually makes him seem less likable than the girl in question. I hear so much about the warmth and vulnerability of the record, a portrait of an artist in love attempting to make sense of the subject, but the persona is just a bit too sardonic for me.

And then there are the musical arrangements. My God, has a folk album sounded this stiff since the early 70s? At times the music makes Paul Anka sound edgy. Occasionally he strikes absolute gold, where the fourth wall breaking lyricism and arch arrangements collide to make something great; Bored in the USA is funny on its own but reaches the next gear with the laugh track that's inserted. True Affection takes him out of his wheelhouse and he absolutely nails that beat. Mostly though, I feel as if the music is there because albums need music and status updates on their own don't make good albums.

I know I'm being far too harsh on what is a unique and charismatic record for 2015, it is certainly not without its good qualities, but I've liked it less and less as I've spent time with it and that's not a good thing for such a personal record. Carrie & Lowell has been literally the exact opposite way for me.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #262
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Basically as soon as I heard some wanker burbling about "I looove you honeybeeeaaaarrrr" I knew it was not the album for me. Closer attention to the lyrics confirmed this. The guy just seems like a dick and the music puts me to sleep.

Unrelated: anybody who wants some metal to consider for their list, here's something really fucking unusual I just discovered - black metal meets Byzantine chant. It actually works too.

https://witchinghourproductions.band...bum/litourgiya

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Alright guys, what the fuck.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #264
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
The first thing anybody needs to do when visiting RYM is filter out the metal albums. Otherwise, every recent annual list on that site is literally a metal album in every other position. Far and away the most overrated genre out there. Hell, every time Pitchfork reviews one of those (which is fairly often lately), you're almost guaranteed a score of 7.8 or higher. That and truly terrible rap and R&B gets such a free pass that it's ridiculous.
Everything you said here is correct. Everything. Infuriating to me. Takes a list of 100 down to about 30 for me to actually take seriously. Everyone has their tastes, but these two genres get a big pass in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #265
Blue Crack Distributor

I like the new FJM well enough, but it's nowhere near as good as Fear Fun.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #266
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
When you say stuff like this it reminds me why we are internet friends, Cori
Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #267
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 12-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #268
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I really liked the album, but while i found almost all the songs "good", i didn't think any were outstanding. I loved Hollywood Forever Cemetery and nothing is at that level on there. But still a consistent, strong, interesting album.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
FJM, you know, he's a funny guy and all (SAVE ME PRESIDENT JESUS), but the problem is that he knows he's a funny guy and tries to cram his speech patterns into his lyrics and he comes off like a prick. The Night John Tillman... actually makes him seem less likable than the girl in question. I hear so much about the warmth and vulnerability of the record, a portrait of an artist in love attempting to make sense of the subject, but the persona is just a bit too sardonic for me.

And then there are the musical arrangements. My God, has a folk album sounded this stiff since the early 70s? At times the music makes Paul Anka sound edgy. Occasionally he strikes absolute gold, where the fourth wall breaking lyricism and arch arrangements collide to make something great; Bored in the USA is funny on its own but reaches the next gear with the laugh track that's inserted. True Affection takes him out of his wheelhouse and he absolutely nails that beat. Mostly though, I feel as if the music is there because albums need music and status updates on their own don't make good albums.

I know I'm being far too harsh on what is a unique and charismatic record for 2015, it is certainly not without its good qualities, but I've liked it less and less as I've spent time with it and that's not a good thing for such a personal record. Carrie & Lowell has been literally the exact opposite way for me.
But he's not supposed to be likable. He's not supposed to be likable in that song or in Thirsty Crow. He's said as much.

Only a few songs on the album are actually about him being in love: the title track, Chateau Lobby, and I Went to the Store are pretty much it. True Affection could be about Emma I suppose, but it's really just about modern long distance relationships. Apartment through Thirsty Crow is about him mocking himself: those two are about how petty he is, while Astride Me is about how he's not sure he's earned anything with her. Aside from the closer, the second half of the album isn't even about the "thesis" of the album. Strange Encounter is about a one night stand, and Ideal Husband lyrically sounds like it could be on Fear Fun. Bored and Holy Shit are both, according to him, more about turning back outward and looking at the world again. He said they're evidence of where the next album is going.

Basically, I'm saying that if you think The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment is about him patting himself on the back for being smarter and funnier than the girl he's describing, I think you're misreading a lot of what he's trying to say lyrically. Anyone ripping him for being a prick seems to have missed that he's doing that already.

Also, if you're going to criticize the musical arrangements of this album, I don't see why you'd stop here and not just criticize the genre as a whole. Father John Misty is one of the few folk artists I enjoy precisely because his singing and lyrics breathe life into otherwise boring music. Folk music is boring by its nature.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #270
Blue Crack Supplier

Thank the maker that Peef is bringing some sense into this thread.

Tags
2015, album of the year, albums, friggin cobbler, lists, math, music, peef can count