B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #241
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Good discussion in here, guys. This is what the thread's for.

I was about to listen to The Dear Hunter's new one but discovered they're a bunch of pretentious twits and have a 6 album story arc going. Decided not to Cobbler this one.

Yeah there's a band I have never been bothered to listen to.

A couple of these recent lists have reminded me I should listen to the new Helio Sequence album. I've enjoyed what I've heard before but not loved it.

Anybody who digs shoegaze should listen to Exposing Seas by Thrushes before finalising their lists. I discovered it just a few days ago and wow. It will definitely be in my list.

PS prbiker you did NOT put Drones in your honourable mentions!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #242
A childless dog

Local Time: 02:39 AM
And I'll throw in another Axver favorite that most people likely overlooked:

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
It's very surprising to me to see so little hip hop on all these lists.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #244
A childless dog

It's a U2 message board. MBDTF, easily the most acclaimed and talked about (and best) album of 2010 placed 4th on our poll, on a site with a lot of Kanye fans and a thriving thread dedicated to him.

Kendrick, despite running away with the critical consensus, will be lucky to place higher than 3rd IMO.

Now.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's a U2 message board. MBDTF, easily the most acclaimed and talked about (and best) album of 2010 placed 4th on our poll, on a site with a lot of Kanye fans and a thriving thread dedicated to him.

Kendrick, despite running away with the critical consensus, will be lucky to place higher than 3rd IMO.
I get that but it's just a little baffling to me to see lists with Miley Cyrus and Def Leppard and no mention of TPAB. It's all me though, people are gonna listen to and like what they like. I just figured more people had heard Kendrick this year.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #246
A childless dog

I did actually listen to that Miley album and found it to be really, really terrible, but it does have a cult following around it. Not surprised to see it pop up on at least one list.

Now.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #247
Vocal parasite

B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math

Quote:
Old 12-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #248
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
PS prbiker you did NOT put Drones in your honourable mentions!
It's ok at best. Definitely not my least favorite album of the year, but it pales in comparison to my top 15. There are some good songs on it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Not big on the Honorable's but great main list!
There's a reason why they are the honorables. I'd say the closest thing that came to unlistenable in that list was the Rob Thomas album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I totally forgot about Def Leppard album released this year!
It's a very good album, many of the songs just scream classic Def Leppard, especially 'Let's Go' and 'Dangerous'.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #249
45:33

I listened to that Westkust album. It was pretty good!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #250
A childless dog

Quote:

I adore this album and it will be in my top three or four. Catchy, to the point, and the guitars are simply wonderful.

Westkust are competing with Ethereal Shroud for my third place, who put out the atmospheric black metal album of the year. I wonder what you'll make of it? It has a distinctive, immense, stunning sound.

The only black metal albums this year that have really grabbed me are the new Deafheaven and Panopticon albums, glad to have more potentially interesting ones.

RYM's metal picks this year are ehhh...I got a half hour into Leprous' album and turned it off because I found it so generic and inconsequential.

Now.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #251
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
It's ok at best. Definitely not my least favorite album of the year, but it pales in comparison to my top 15. There are some good songs on it, though.

I'd say it has no competition as the most hilariously terrible album of the year. At least Muse are forging ahead to create a new genre of conspiracy theory rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I listened to that Westkust album. It was pretty good!

Quote:
The only black metal albums this year that have really grabbed me are the new Deafheaven and Panopticon albums, glad to have more potentially interesting ones.

RYM's metal picks this year are ehhh...I got a half hour into Leprous' album and turned it off because I found it so generic and inconsequential.

Yeah I rarely get into many of the highly rated metal albums on RYM. Partly the power metal fanboys overrate the cheesiest shit, and partly the trve kvlt guys rate highly some very extreme or esoteric stuff that I can sort of appreciate from a technical or aesthetic sense but wouldn't choose to play myself. And just personally I've gone off most death metal and never cared for traditional heavy metal stuff. A lot of the stuff I like gets dismissed as hipster non-metal like Agalloch or Wolves in the Throne Room or Isis or Deafheaven.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The first thing anybody needs to do when visiting RYM is filter out the metal albums. Otherwise, every recent annual list on that site is literally a metal album in every other position. Far and away the most overrated genre out there. Hell, every time Pitchfork reviews one of those (which is fairly often lately), you're almost guaranteed a score of 7.8 or higher. That and truly terrible rap and R&B gets such a free pass that it's ridiculous.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #253
A childless dog

Quote:
I'd say it has no competition as the most hilariously terrible album of the year.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...llet_2_heaven/

Quote:
Yeah I rarely get into many of the highly rated metal albums on RYM. Partly the power metal fanboys overrate the cheesiest shit, and partly the trve kvlt guys rate highly some very extreme or esoteric stuff that I can sort of appreciate from a technical or aesthetic sense but wouldn't choose to play myself. And just personally I've gone off most death metal and never cared for traditional heavy metal stuff. A lot of the stuff I like gets dismissed as hipster non-metal like Agalloch or Wolves in the Throne Room or Isis or Deafheaven.
You mean this isn't AOTY?

Recommend me a Wolves in the Throne Room album.

Now.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #254
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
The first thing anybody needs to do when visiting RYM is filter out the metal albums. Otherwise, every recent annual list on that site is literally a metal album in every other position. Far and away the most overrated genre out there. Hell, every time Pitchfork reviews one of those (which is fairly often lately), you're almost guaranteed a score of 7.8 or higher. That and truly terrible rap and R&B gets such a free pass that it's ridiculous.
:eyeroll:

Given how many different genres of metal there are, this is a particularly ridiculous thing to say.

Quote:
Touche.

Quote:
Recommend me a Wolves in the Throne Room album.
Two Hunters. "Vastness and Sorrow" is the best thing they've done, and the album isn't quite the marathon of Diadem of Twelve Stars, which is about equal in quality but less accessible if you're not seriously into this sort of thing.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Im not a metal-head per se, but I love some metal bands. It all depends on people, I guess; some people just hate that kind of noisy, distorted guitars or way-too-much hard hitting drums. Some metal bands have touch of alt. rock-ness, which I come to love and i think these bands are probably more friendly to guys like you who are into more indie-esque bands. Like Torche or Baroness. Or even some sludge/doom metal bands like Sunn O)))) or Sleep.

Tags
2015, album of the year, albums, friggin cobbler, lists, math, music, peef can count