Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I'm glad you all asked:

"Primitive" — — — — — — — — — — — —
"Unconditional Love"[59] — — — — — — — — — — — —
"Another Brick in the Wall (Part Two)" (featuring Roger Waters) — — — — — — — — — — — 82 The Wall – Live in Berlin
1992 "The World Is Stone" — — — — — 2 100 — — — — 15

FRA:Gold

Tycoon
1993 "Who Let in the Rain" — — — — 76 — — — 12 — — 32 Hat Full of Stars
"That's What I Think" — 14 — — — — — — — — — 31
"Sally's Pigeons" — — — — — — — — — — — —
"Hat Full of Stars" — — — — — — — — — — — —
1994 "Hey Now (Girls Just Want to Have Fun)" 87 — 62 — — 3 56 — 4 38 37 4

UK: Silver

Twelve Deadly Cyns...and Then Some
"I'm Gonna Be Strong" — — — — — — — — — — — 37
1995 "Come on Home" — 11 — — — — — — — — — 39
1997 "You Don't Know" 111 16 — — — — — — — — — 27

BRA: Gold

Sisters of Avalon
"Sisters of Avalon" — — — — — — — — — — — —
"Ballad of Cleo and Joe" 125 36 — — — — — — — — — —
1998 "Early Christmas Morning" — — — — — — — — — — — — Merry Christmas...Have a Nice Life
1999 "Disco Inferno" — 8 — — — — — — — — — — A Night at the Roxbury (soundtrack)
2002 "Shine" — — — — — — — — — — — — Shine
2003 "At Last" — — — — — — — — — — — — At Last
2004 "Walk On By" — 10 — — — — — — — — — —
2005 "Time After Time" (featuring Sarah McLachlan) — — — — — — — — — — — — The Body Acoustic
"Above the Clouds" (featuring Jeff Beck) — — — — — — — — — — — —
2008 "Set Your Heart" — — — — — — — — — — — — Bring Ya to the Brink
"Same Ol' Story" — 1 — — — — — — — — — —
"Into the Nightlife" — 1 82 — — — — — — — — 168
"A Christmas Duel" (featuring The Hives) — — — — — — — — — 4 — — single only
2009 "Girls Just Wanna Set Your Heart" — — — — — — — — — — — — Floor Remixes
2010 "Just Your Fool" — — — — — — — — — — — — Memphis Blues
"Early in the Mornin'" — — — — — — — — — — — —
2011 "Home for the Holidays" (featuring Norah Jones) — — — — — — — — — — — — single only
2012 "Sex Is in the Heel"

No Scuba On the Horizon

noscuba_zps1bc43e94.png

I'm not sure if this the time or place to make mention of this, but I did want to clear something up -

I'm 100% definitely NOT a covert agent for a shadowy, secretive, unacknowledged arm of the government, ok? I mean, the very idea that such an organization would exist is absurd, let alone my potential participation. LOL, right? Crazy.

But, if I were such an agent, my code name would be SCUBA.

I'm not, though.

But still.

You government types....denial is not just a river in Egypt.
And tell the ops division to give poor Avril her career back. Haven't you folks made her suffer enough yet?

Hey fellow Interferencers. I know there are tons of people who hate Avril Lavigne. But consider young pop artists like Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, and Beyonce. All three were widely rejected early in their careers, but now have earned a vast amount of acceptance from the populace.

So...

How would you guys feel if Avril Lavigne manages to become as popular and well-respected as Madonna (or even U2)?

Before anyone starts flaming me, I have a few decent arguments to express.

Let’s say-

1. She transitions away from the ‘punk princess’ gimmick, and completely re-invents her style
2. She makes a departure from her earlier work and advances her music
3. She secures her artistic credibility, demonstrates musical growth, and proves her authenticity
4. She discards the bratty, girly fluff, and starts putting out more well-crafted, high-caliber music that withstands the passage of time
5. She avoids writing cookie-cutter pop songs about boys, and begins recording serious-minded songs that contain profound lyrics of considerable depth
6. She stops catering to the teenage crowd, and reaches out to a more general, adult audience of discerning listeners
7. She sets herself apart from her female pop contemporaries- i.e. Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Hilary Duff, Ashlee Simpson, and Lindsay Lohan

Given these hypothetical conditions-

How would you feel if Avril becomes able to develop a massive fanbase around the world? How would you feel if she becomes able to remain relevant and to sustain a lot of staying power in the music industry? How would you feel if she eventually achieves a Madonna/U2-like level of esteem and longevity?

How would you guys feel if Avril legitimately earns an iconic reputation 20 years from now?

And I hope not to hear sarcastic nonsense like “Lord help us” or “That’s hell in a hand basket”. I just would like a mature and meaningful discussion here.

Thanks guys.

This thread is becoming the first classic of 2014. I had to unearth this original post from 2009 and quote it here. It appears as if the very first paragraph is unwittingly funny and then the rest is… well. :shrug:

So...I'm looking at Avril's singles and I gotta ask...when exactly did Avril's career go downhill? She's still getting top 40 singles on the radio to this day. I forgot all about "What the Hell" but that got a ton of radio play and apparently her last round of singles did just fine as well.

Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

Pretty damn good shooting FOR A JOHN BULL.

Who knows what could happen?
Do what you do
Just keep on laughing
One thing's true
There's always a brand new day...

I don't think her career is in a bad place at all. Consider her most recent album:

Contrary to what the singles might lead you to believe, "Avril Lavigne", the album, is a big step for Avril Lavigne, the singer, since it explores different sounds and nuances of Avril's voice and personality.
As a matter of fact, I believe Avril ought to pick her singles not just because they are commercially viable - I mean, outside her fanbase, who would know that her last album, "Goodbye Lullaby", was such a nice, smooth ballad album, when her singles include "What the Hell" (which could've been taken straight out of the poppy "The Best Damn Thing") and the (rather generic) "Smile" - but instead, because they reflect what the album is really like as a whole, its 'soul'. "Let Me Go", her current single, may be a better option in that respect, though I'd still say there are far better songs in the new album.
Songs like "Hello Kitty", "Give you what you like" and "Bad Girl" stand out precisely because they're so different from Avril's previous efforts, and you can still believe it's her, and not just her faking a personality. Not only are they fresh - thank God! - but they're also good; "Give you what you like" is actually one of my favorite songs of hers-- ever.
That's not to take credit from other solid songs like "17", "Hush Hush" and "Falling Fast", but these songs are within what you would expect from Avril, she's good at that, we know it. After more than a decade, I'm ready to see what else she's got-- and she's starting to show us.
I have to confess I was a bit worried when "Here's to never going up", the first single off this album, came out. Even though I thought the song was fun, I feared this album would be just another attempt to mimic how successful "Girlfriend" was, but, thankfully, I was very wrong.
Good for you, Avril! And good for the fans, too, obviously.

I don't think her career is in a bad place at all. Consider her most recent album:

Contrary to what the singles might lead you to believe, "Avril Lavigne", the album, is a big step for Avril Lavigne, the singer, since it explores different sounds and nuances of Avril's voice and personality.
As a matter of fact, I believe Avril ought to pick her singles not just because they are commercially viable - I mean, outside her fanbase, who would know that her last album, "Goodbye Lullaby", was such a nice, smooth ballad album, when her singles include "What the Hell" (which could've been taken straight out of the poppy "The Best Damn Thing") and the (rather generic) "Smile" - but instead, because they reflect what the album is really like as a whole, its 'soul'. "Let Me Go", her current single, may be a better option in that respect, though I'd still say there are far better songs in the new album.
Songs like "Hello Kitty", "Give you what you like" and "Bad Girl" stand out precisely because they're so different from Avril's previous efforts, and you can still believe it's her, and not just her faking a personality. Not only are they fresh - thank God! - but they're also good; "Give you what you like" is actually one of my favorite songs of hers-- ever.
That's not to take credit from other solid songs like "17", "Hush Hush" and "Falling Fast", but these songs are within what you would expect from Avril, she's good at that, we know it. After more than a decade, I'm ready to see what else she's got-- and she's starting to show us.
I have to confess I was a bit worried when "Here's to never going up", the first single off this album, came out. Even though I thought the song was fun, I feared this album would be just another attempt to mimic how successful "Girlfriend" was, but, thankfully, I was very wrong.
Good for you, Avril! And good for the fans, too, obviously.

Hahah, you ass. I actually read that seriously for about three sentences.

So...I'm looking at Avril's singles and I gotta ask...when exactly did Avril's career go downhill? She's still getting top 40 singles on the radio to this day. I forgot all about "What the Hell" but that got a ton of radio play and apparently her last round of singles did just fine as well.

Basically this. After reading a bit about her, it seems she's doing pretty damn well, not just in music but also in other business ventures.

Not even GAF or Ashley are this passionate about crappy pop music.

Then how come GAF's threads about Taylor Swift never generate much hatred? Answer me that!

You say you loved her first three albums. The next two, you say, tanked sales-wise. You don't mention whether or not you loved, liked, barely tolerated or hated those next two

Her fourth and fifth albums (the ones that tanked) were just okay. But they didn't deserve to fail.

And finally, honestly, comparing her to many of those other female artists you list isn't really fair. They have at least 2 distinct advantages over her: vocal prowess, and sex appeal.

Taylor Swift doesn't have much vocal prowess, yet she's been at the top of her game.

Even back in 2002, I found her bland brand of teen angst pop-rock utterly nauseating. It was always going to have a limited shelf-life, and unless she was able to reinvent herself pretty drastically (with strong material) her appeal wasn't going to endure.

How can this criticism of Avril NOT hold true for Taylor Swift? Can't Swift's music be classified as "bland teen pop-rock with a limited shelf-life"?

her music is dated

So is JT's. Yet he made a smash hit out of Mirrors.

Simple answer, her music sucks. And apparently it sucks so much that not even the average pop music fan likes it.

I can say the same thing about other pop artists' music.

Why does Avril have to be the outcast?

But is she relevant? not unless you are a 14 year old girl.

Again, Taylor Swift (at age 23) has armies of teenage girl fans. So why is she NOT getting criticized?

If you enjoy her music, people shouldn't be giving you shit about it.

People DO give me shit about my liking Avril. But no one gives shit to GAF about liking Taylor Swift.

Maybe it's more the creepy stalker conspiracy theorist sort of way you go about it that rubs people the wrong way?

Okay, first of all, IWB is right, the tone that you use in these posts is really creepy, it almost comes off like if you met an Avril hater in real life, you'd gun them down. Second of all, JT's music is not dated, 20/20 Exp pt. 1 was wildly successful, and I'm not alone in thinking Mirrors is the worst song on it. Third of all, GAF couldn't give a shit whether or not people like Taylor Swift. He just likes her music. He doesn't post ridiculous diatribes (well, he actually does that all the time, but you get my point).

But mostly, you've mentioned Outkast (you seem to have spelt it wrong though) and I'm glad you did - because you've opened yourself up to a whole new world of great music. Forget all about Avril and bask in the glory that is Atlanta's greatest export.

OutKast - Hey Ya! - YouTube

Again, Taylor Swift (at age 23) has armies of teenage girl fans. So why is she NOT getting criticized?

And French April is what...29....and her last big success was her 3rd album released when she was what...23....seeing the pattern yet? Taylor Swift won't have a legion of teenage fans in 5-6 years. If she evolves musically to a mature style, then the fans she has now will stay with her as they age, if not she'll pull an Avril and become an abject failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom