Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xtina did fuck up the words to her country's national anthem on the most watched TV program of the year.

Well yeah, I'd say Christina has easily had a more successful career, although it's no secret this hasn't been her best run for a while, with the disappointing album sales, and didn't she cancel tour dates, or the tour altogether or something?

I thought it was a relevant comparison, considering this post is about Avril's recent album flopping and tour problems. :)

What...feeding frenzy? I really didn't see anything like that happen. It was like five posts...

I guess I was being over-sensitive.

I revealed to a bunch of Coldplay fans that I was an Avril/Gaga/TayTay fan, and they all started antagonizing me.:angry:

HBK-79 said:
I guess I was being over-sensitive.

I revealed to a bunch of Coldplay fans that I was an Avril/Gaga/TayTay fan, and they all started antagonizing me.:angry:

See? Coldplay doesn't rip off U2 after all.

Because he said Avril was "doing better," and I took that to mean career-wise.

Well yeah, I'd say Christina has easily had a more successful career, although it's no secret this hasn't been her best run for a while, with the disappointing album sales, and didn't she cancel tour dates, or the tour altogether or something?

I thought it was a relevant comparison, considering this post is about Avril's recent album flopping and tour problems. :)

I apologize. I should've been more explicit.

First, I agree that Christina is heaps more talented than Avril and Britney combined. And Christina's music career has stayed fairly consistent since 1999, unlike Britney's.

In my last post, I was actually comparing the sales of Christina's Bionic to the sales of Avril's Goodbye Lullaby.

By and large, both Bionic and Goodbye Lullaby have flopped. Both have dropped out of sight on the album charts very quickly.

Unlike Goodbye Lullaby, Bionic has had slightly better sales in the US. But unlike Bionic, Goodbye Lullaby has sold massively in Asia. Recently, I've read somewhere on an Avril fan forum that Goodbye Lullaby has narrowly edged out Bionic in overall worldwide sales- all thanks to the people of Asia.

I wish I could post some figures, but they're scattered all over that Avril fan forum. And I don't want to use Wikipedia.

Plus, Christina had to scrap her entire tour. Avril is at least touring her biggest markets.

HBK-79 said:
I don't think so. How could she tour on a tanked album and zero hit singles?:scratch:

You don't suddenly forget the name of an extremely popular musician that has been established for a decade because of one poorly-received album. She can tour based on any whim of hers.

Hey guys. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say.

Do you think it would be possible for both Avril and Christina to recover from these disappointing album sales? What do you think caused their respective albums to tank and their respective fanbases to dwindle?

Personally, I don't think the whole "flash-in-the-pan-destined-to-flame-out" argument applies to someone like Avril. Like I said, Britney and Pink are still making hit music.

I don't know what the future holds for Christina. Isn't starring in a reality show a tell-tale sign that your music career is over?

GirlsAloudFan - Care to chime in?:wave:

I'm not as familiar with Avril as I am with Christina, but I'll give my twon cents, as a pop fan. I'd say Avril needs some good songs that don't sound like another peppy poppy song that a cheerleading squad should be singing.

I didn't hear her last album, but I listened once to the new one, and other than What the Hell (which was fun, if not anything earth-shattering, but way too similar to Girlfriend), I didn't hear anything that remotely interested me. Her first album put her on the map, and while it wasn't going to make her the next Bob Dylan, it seemed to have a little more depth to it, and had good singles. (That's a guess, having only heard the singles.)

Christina's album wasn't bad (I like some of it, hate some of it), but it seemed like it came out too late to try and hop on the trend of the electro-pop or whatever you call some of the styles she seemed to be going for. Female pop singers doing anything remotely dance-oriented are now competing with Lady Gaga, and if you're going to take some of the attention off her, you'd best have some damn good songs or be doing something really cool and new.

Personally, I thought some of the best songs on Christina's album were all bonus tracks, so in my opinion, she didn't have those damn good songs she needed. And the lead single was just an awful choice. It sounded like a rehash of everything Lady Gaga and others had already been doing.

I'm sure some would argue that wasn't the case, but that's how it appeared to play out to me. It felt like she was jumping onto the train too late, with an album that wasn't able to compete.

But who's to say even a "good" album will revive a career? Avril or Christina might come out with a critically acclaimed album chock full of good songs in two years, but it's entirely possible no one but their most hardcore fans will care.

Pop music is a fickle mistress.

I don't know what the future holds for Christina. Isn't starring in a reality show a tell-tale sign that your music career is over?

Not necessarily - J Lo's career was all but dead and over until she got the American Idol gig, and now she's got an album out. I can't say if it'll be a success or even if it's any good, but without the Idol gig, I highly doubt she'd have had another album at all.

How could she tour on a tanked album and zero hit singles?:scratch:
Like this:

U2_360_stage.jpg

:wink:

If she writes (or someone else writes for her) another I'm With You, I'll forgive most of her sins. That's a damn...good...song.

Female pop singers doing anything remotely dance-oriented are now competing with Lady Gaga, and if you're going to take some of the attention off her, you'd best have some damn good songs or be doing something really cool and new.

Britney is holding her own against Lady Gaga right now. At least I presume she is.

Plus, the whole electropop/dance-pop craze didn't start with Lady Gaga. Britney did it for half of her entire career.

Like this:

:lol:

But honestly- Christina's fanbase <<<<<<< U2's fanbase

If she writes (or someone else writes for her) another I'm With You, I'll forgive most of her sins. That's a damn...good...song.

Unfortunately, there's a ton of pop ballads out there that sound like I'm With You. These days pop ballads are becoming more and more generic.:slant:

What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

Hey guys. I just want to have a SERIOUS DISCUSSION with everyone here for a moment.

I admit that I like Avril Lavigne. I really enjoyed Avril's first three albums- Let Go, Under My Skin, and The Best Damn Thing.

But now, Avril is quickly fading away.

Her two recent albums, Goodbye Lullaby and her newly released self-title album, both tanked. And due to all these years of lackluster albums sales, she is unable to tour.

It appears that Avril’s fanbase has considerably dwindled. And the general public doesn’t seem to know that she still exists.

Amidst all of this, she repeatedly gets destroyed by the likes of Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Miley Cyrus.

Avril has now become completely irrelevant in the world of pop music .

At the same time- Beyonce, Britney Spears, P!nk, and Kelly Clarkson are still going strong.

What do you think caused Avril's career to deteriorate? Why do you think Avril is struggling while other mainstream female pop artists are faring better?

Without being hateful, I was hoping if you guys could help me determine the ROOT CAUSE of Avril’s downfall .

Thanks for listening, guys.

Not even GAF or Ashley are this passionate about crappy pop music.

Beyonce is still going strong because she makes fucking awesome music.

In short: why would anyone listen to anything by someone involved with Chad Kroeger?

In short: why would anyone listen to anything by someone involved with Chad Kroeger?

Let's not forget that before she married Kroeger and his volumes upon volumes of hits, she was married to one of the tossers from Sum 41. Great taste in men right there.

Guys, this is SERIOUS. See all that bold text and random capitalization? This is for real!

She is still big in Asia. I'm seeing her live in Hong Kong in Feb and she has nearly sold out a 14,000 arena. She needs to go to where the interest is. Unless she has another 'Girlfriend' up her sleeve she needs to stick to maintaining her huge fan base in China/HK/Korea/Japan/SE Asia. Lots of money still to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom