Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Britney, Pink, Beyonce, etc. are still around and making hit music. So...:shrug:

Wait, wait, wait.... Pink is still around? I guess this shows my complete and utter lack of interest in the radio.

the tourist said:
Wait, wait, wait.... Pink is still around? I guess this shows my complete and utter lack of interest in the radio.

Pink is massive in Australia, she did something like 59 shows here on her last tour. I don't understand the attraction.

Pink is massive in Australia, she did something like 59 shows here on her last tour. I don't understand the attraction.

When I went to the Syndey shows, I asked some Aussies for an explanation regarding Pink's popularity in the Land Down Under.

They simply replied "Who's going to all these concerts?":wink:

No, Khan. No. I refuse to believe that you found this thread any other possible way than you being a frequent visitor to the Sonny with a Chance forum. Just admit it now.
:lol: the "interference is the only place i've been comfortable..." bit made me go :eyebrow: because...what? so i just took a line and put it in google. honest! i couldn't even pick a song of hers i hate the least, let alone one i liked.

:lol: the "interference is the only place i've been comfortable..." bit made me go :eyebrow: because...what? so i just took a line and put it in google. honest! i couldn't even pick a song of hers i hate the least, let alone one i liked.

Convenient.

I don't know enough about her fan base to comment on the leaving your roots or fans falling off issues. But they are ones that every musician and artist comes across at some point, I think. Plus, I don't understand how reaching #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 would constitute "What The Hell" as not catching on. :) I actually hear it all the time on my local Top 40 station (which is in a pretty large market).

Considering that, I'd imagine overall album sales are the reason for the world tour not coming through. I think I did read somewhere that her album was selling lower than expected. If everyone's just downloading the single and not getting the album, stuff like that can be expected.

Recently I was in a record shop and the clerk was playing a Pink greatest hits. I thought 'Dag! Pink actually strung together a pretty decent run of pop songs.' I'd say she has one of the best pop careers of the last decade, possibly only second to Beyonce.

:up:

She gets a lot of hate around here, but she's been a good pop act for the last however many years. I thought both Try This and I'm Not Dead were really solid pop albums. I'm not crazy about her latest one, but that Raise Your Glass song on her new hits album is some darned fine pop.

I only give her crap because I don't know who the hell she's become over the last three or so years. And the newest material she's offering is just all kinds of a shit sandwich.

My opinion in these matters is irrelevant, really, because while I'm happy to admit that many of these pop stars have put out singles I've enjoyed, I have never, ever listened to an entire album and I never plan to. It's not my music.

Hey, guys. I just want to clear something up.

I've seen threads here discussing Britney Spears and Taylor Swift. So I decided to start one about Avril Lavigne. After all- Avril IS a mirror image of Britney.

I just didn't expect all this vindictiveness and humiliation.:(

Avril the mirror image of Britney? Britney came out of Pop and always has been since she relies on dance moves and repetitive heavy breathing, where as Avril came out of *cough* punk*cough Punk-Popish. I'd give Avril props for actually being able to play a musical instrument.

HBK-79 said:
Hey, guys. I just want to clear something up.

I've seen threads here discussing Britney Spears and Taylor Swift. So I decided to start one about Avril Lavigne. After all- Avril IS a mirror image of Britney.

I just didn't expect all this vindictiveness and humiliation.:(

Wait, what? What are you trying to say?

I thought taking to Google to see if he'd ever gone anywhere else with the same question was unnecessary and a little mean, since it was just going to lead to mocking. (Sorry, Khan.)

I'm guessing that's what the OP is reacting to, because everything else is pretty low-key and not even full of LOLAVRIL comments. (Which, frankly, was a pleasant surprise. :wink: ) A bit off-topic, but since when DO we have a completely on-topic thread around here? Ha.

i totally understand, and i honestly didn't want to start any mocking or anything. sure, there's no rule against someone making the same thread here as anywhere else and there's nothing wrong with that, but since the last time this happened, any negative posts were collected and then posted elsewhere (in the hopes they'd talk shit about us? idk) seemed poor taste to me. it was mostly the pms posted - again there's no rule about posting them off-forum but it's extremely poor taste given they are private messages. i do honestly apologise hbk, i really didn't mean any maliciousness or anything.

Oh yeah, totally re posting private PMs. Wasn't that a thread about Pink where that happened? Or are there more shenanigans I was unaware of?

I don't know which of her her albums it comes from, but Complicated was always one of my favorite songs when I was younger. I still sing to it when it comes on the radio. :3

She really canned the whole tour?

It's up in the air. Kind of like how U2 won't let on regarding whether or not Moncton is final show.:huh:

Avril the mirror image of Britney? Britney came out of Pop and always has been since she relies on dance moves and repetitive heavy breathing, where as Avril came out of *cough* punk*cough Punk-Popish. I'd give Avril props for actually being able to play a musical instrument.

If you watch the music video for her massive hit Girlfriend, you'll see Avril all Britney-ized. That's when all her fans went like this-

Blank-Facepalm.gif

I thought taking to Google to see if he'd ever gone anywhere else with the same question was unnecessary and a little mean, since it was just going to lead to mocking. (Sorry, Khan.)

I'm guessing that's what the OP is reacting to, because everything else is pretty low-key and not even full of LOLAVRIL comments.

Bingo.:depressed:

i totally understand, and i honestly didn't want to start any mocking or anything. sure, there's no rule against someone making the same thread here as anywhere else and there's nothing wrong with that, but since the last time this happened, any negative posts were collected and then posted elsewhere (in the hopes they'd talk shit about us? idk) seemed poor taste to me. it was mostly the pms posted - again there's no rule about posting them off-forum but it's extremely poor taste given they are private messages. i do honestly apologise hbk, i really didn't mean any maliciousness or anything.

Thank you, Khan.:hug:

If you want to know the truth, I just wanted to get two sets of commentary. One from an older crowd (Interference) and another from a younger crowd. That Disney forum is the only site that I could (kind of) "connect" with (I used to watch Lizzie McGuire, okay?:reject:) I figured that the younger crowd would support Avril. It turns out that they don't really listen to her.:ohmy:

I just felt uncomfortable with your initial post. That's when the feeding frenzy began with the other Interferencers. It was like high school all over again.

However, I don't understand the part about 'posting PMs on other sites'. Whenever I receive a PM, I usually immediately delete it upon reading it. Just PM me if you want to discuss this issue further.

Oh yeah, totally re posting private PMs. Wasn't that a thread about Pink where that happened? Or are there more shenanigans I was unaware of?

I really don't know. I thought we Interferencers had stopped talking about Pink ages ago.:shrug::shifty:

I don't know which of her her albums it comes from, but Complicated was always one of my favorite songs when I was younger. I still sing to it when it comes on the radio. :3

Complicated was from her debut album. I actually don't like that song too much. She didn't even write it.

I suggest listening to her later hits or even some of her non-single tracks. I'm With You, Anything But Ordinary, Tomorrow, Losing Grip, Why, Get Over It, Don't Tell Me, My Happy Ending, How Does It Feel, Nobody's Home, Fall To Pieces, Who Knows, Keep Holding On, When You're Gone, Innocence, What The Hell, and Alice would all be worth a listen.:up: She co-wrote all of them.

But I recommend that you don't listen to Girlfriend or Sk8er Boi. They'll make you run away.:yikes:

Overall, I can just say one thing- At least Avril's doing better than Christina Aguilera.:)

What...feeding frenzy? I really didn't see anything like that happen. It was like five posts...

And Avril bigger than Christina is debatable.

Yeah, I wouldn't say Avril's doing better. They both had disappointing albums, tour issues, but Christina is one of the stars of a new hit TV show, so she's got that going for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom