Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracklisting!

1. Black Star
  2. What The Hell
  3. Push
  4. Wish You Were Here
  5. Smile
  6. Stop Standing There
  7. I Love You
  8. Everybody Hurts
  9. Not Enough
  10. 4 Real
  11. Darlin
  12. Remember When
  13. Goodbye
  14. Alice (hidden track)
I'm not one to judge a book by its cover. But these song titles are kind of uninspiring.:huh: Oh well. At least there are no songs with titles like Sk8er Boi.

And I hope she didn't take it upon herself to cover that R.E.M. song. That would not be cool.:uhoh:

1. Black Star (Radiohead cover)
2. What The Hell (the only original song)
3. Push (Cure cover)
4. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover)
5. Smile (Lily Allen cover)
6. Stop Standing There (answer to Beatles song)
7. I Love You (cover of every song ever)
8. Everybody Hurts (R.E.M. cover)
9. Not Enough (3 Doors Down Cover)
10. 4 Real (Mariah Carey cover)
11. Darlin (Beach Boys cover)
12. Remember When (Alan Jackson cover)
13. Goodbye (Miley Cyrus cover)
14. Alice (Tom Waits cover)

Should be an interesting stew.

I have no idea if that's real or not, because I have no idea if this album is a covers project.

If it's real, I'll say "huh, interesting, good for her. Shame about picking that REM song."

If that's fake, I'll say " :lol: well-played, LeMel."

I wish it were real. These crappy titles just confirm that Avril has gotten as lazy as Ashley said she was on New Year's. End of the world. /U2 fan

I wish it were real. These crappy titles just confirm that Avril has gotten as lazy as Ashley said she was on New Year's. End of the world. /U2 fan

At first I read that as "lazy as Ashley was" and I was like, "Buh? What did I do?"

I wish it were real. These crappy titles just confirm that Avril has gotten as lazy as Ashley said she was on New Year's. End of the world.

I have no idea if that's real or not, because I have no idea if this album is a covers project.

The tracklisting is real. It came directly from her official website.

It's not going to be an all-covers album. Quite frankly, I don't know where Avril is going with this. Supposedly, this new album is kind of like her diary.

I don't think Avril put a whole lot effort into this new album. After all- She did spend the past two years launching her own clothing line, promoting her own array of fragrances, getting a divorce, dating a loser, and frolicking at the beach.

How the hell did she have the time to write and record a new album?:doh:

I actually am a huge Avril fan, got all the albums and DVDs, as well as a poster and a few magazines and cd singles.

I already have the new album, and it's a brilliant piece of art. Can't really say that for her other 3 albums, but this time she created a masterpiece. Plus, she wrote 7 of the 14 songs on the album completely by herself, something that most artists today don't do.

I might catch her on her new tour. She is talented, and would be worth seeing. At least for the eye candy:)drool:), if not for the great music! :)

Avril Lavigne shows that one crap album can easily sink a career

Hey guys. Interference is the only place where I’ve been comfortable in saying that Avril Lavigne is one of my favorite female artists. I really liked her first two albums, Let Go and Under My Skin. I always thought that she would have a bright future.

But I must now concede that Avril’s career has gone downhill.

It all started with her third album, The Best Damn Thing, which was merely one big display of irritating brattiness that only stupid little kids lapped up. She quickly became everything that she had originally claimed not to be. Ultimately, she lost tons of fans, especially her casual ones. Worse, she damaged any credibility that she had managed to establish up to that point.

Then she disappeared for four years. And during that time, her record label refused to release a fourth album from her, unless she agreed to work with Max Martin.

Meanwhile, Avril’s four-year absence left the door open for Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Paramore, Rihanna, and Adele to make a huge impact on the pop music world. That is a shitload of competition for an artist who is no longer fresh-faced.

Avril’s fourth and most recent album, Goodbye Lullaby, was designed to be a stripped-down ‘return to form’ -- similar to what ATYCLB was for U2. The effort was intended to win back her old fans. But that never happened. Also, the album’s lead single, What The Hell, was supposed to appeal to teens and tweens. But the song never caught on. Plus, she was unable to capture an older audience with the more mature, introspective songs that she had otherwise recorded for the album.

So now- Her new album has been tanking on the charts, and her world tour has been canned.

I have reason to believe that Avril has painted herself in a corner. A majority of her fans seem to have moved on. Teens and tweens these days don’t seem to care for her, and are most likely preoccupied with Justin Bieber. And adult listeners will never take her seriously- thus illustrating that the stigma of Girlfriend still lingers.

Oh yeah- Her sagging public image, her questionable personal life, her lackluster live performances, her habit of contradicting herself, and her record label’s lack of promotion haven’t helped out her in the slightest bit.

I’m afraid that Avril is facing a steady decline in relevance in the pop music market. It isn’t bad enough that her fanbase has greatly dwindled. But what is most disconcerting is that the whole world has simply forgotten about her.

At the same time- Britney is still going strong.

Do you think that Avril is well on her way to fading into obscurity? Do you think that it would be possible for an artist like Avril to make a comeback from this commercial slump?

Thanks for listening, guys.

I have a friend at work who is pretty much on the same page as you. He loooooves Avril! But after hearing her new album, he declared they were "breaking up."

I have a friend at work who is pretty much on the same page as you. He loooooves Avril! But after hearing her new album, he declared they were "breaking up."

Yeah, Cori, you told me about your friend last year.;)

Avril's new album is just okay, but it's not worth listening over and over again. Just don't call it a comeback.

I don't know if your friend was turned off by her third album (the one with Girlfriend on it) or by her new album (the one with What The Hell on it).

Her third album was the real point of no return for her. She had no fans after that.:shrug:

Did you really think she'd be anything more than a flash-in-the-pan (albeit one that was successful for a couple of years?) Very few radio/mainstream pop artists remain relevant/enjoy significant success for an extended period of time.

Did you really think she'd be anything more than a flash-in-the-pan (albeit one that was successful for a couple of years?) Very few radio/mainstream pop artists remain relevant/enjoy significant success for an extended period of time.

Well, anything can happen.

Britney, Pink, Beyonce, etc. are still around and making hit music. So...:shrug:

I never thought she was that good to begin with, but that's just me.

i wonder if when our thoughts are reported back there, pms will be included too like they were for the pink thread
allears.gif

i actually think her new album is alright... my daughter is a huge Avril fan and she declared it to be her best yet! i really like some of the songs off it i've heard... :D

btw my daughter is a teen, she saw Avril live a few years ago as a pre-teen, still loves her, and despises Justine Bieber... quite a few of her peers like Avril/hate Bieber too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom