Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill? - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:24 AM
I've been waiting for a good time to use it.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Get the fuck outta here with your disparaging of Cyndi Lauper.

I'm pretty sure Cyndi is the only female comparison point allbecauseofu2 has at their disposal.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #138
War Child

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Okay, I’m gonna be straight with you guys. I just don’t get this double standard against Avril.

I get ridiculed and belittled by a lot by people for listening to Avril. Both in person and on the internet.

On the other hand, the general public doesn’t seem to have a problem with other female pop artists like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, P!nk, Kelly Clarkson, etc. Fans of these female artists usually aren't met with such a harshly negative reaction like Avril fans are. It seems as though these women get more appreciation from the public than Avril does.

Here are several notable examples of this double standard-

Avril is regarded as 100% manufactured pop fodder. But so is Britney, and everyone loves her.

Avril gets condemned for her immature behavoir, for her annoying/obnoxious music, for her bad singing, for her simplistic songwriting, and for her juvenile songs/lyrics. Yet, Pink has a shouty voice; sounds obnoxious in So What; drops S-bombs and F-bombs in Raise Your Glass; comes up with lyrics like “slam slam oh hot damn”; comes up with song titles like F***ing Perfect and U + Ur Hand; rides a lawnmower on stage; has had pink hair; and...well...uses the stage name “P!nk” with an exclamation point embedded in it. Moreover, let’s not forget such “thought-provoking” art as Lady Gaga’s Just Dance, Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream, Kelly Clarkson’s My Life Would Suck Without You, and Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Furthermore, it’s worth citing that Katy Perry is the same age as Avril is, while P!nk is a few years older.

Avril gets vilified for not reinventing herself, and for not growing/evolving/progressing/maturing musically and artistically. People say her songs are mostly dribble about partying, or about missing/loving someone. Yet, P!nk’s music has become repetitive since 2006, as she continues to release man-bashing singles (Blow Me), or self-empowerment singles (Raise Your Glass). And I’d be remiss not to mention all of Katy Perry’s songs about teenage sex. And for the past seven years, Taylor Swift has mostly released singles about boys (You Belong With Me, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble).

Avril gets censured for her “outdated” music. Yet, JT scores a smash hit with Mirrors, Bruno Mars with Treasure, Sara Barielles with Brave, and Paramore with Still Into You.

Avril is considered a “phony skate punk rebel” whose image has run its course. Yet, P!nk has a “badass rock star” persona, and people readily eat it up.

Avril frequently gets lumped into the same league of teenybopper singers that includes Justin Bieber and One Direction. Yet, no one bemoans about how Taylor Swift has legions of teen and tween girls making up the majority of her fanbase.

The world laughs at Avril being married to Chad Kroeger. Yet, no one laughs at all the guys that Taylor Swift has dated over the years. Plus, people forgave Britney for marrying K-Fed.

Why are other female artists more respected by the public than Avril is? Why do people think that it’s deserving of antagonism to listen to Avril?

I understand that haters gonna hate. But the level of Avril hate that I encounter among everyday people is just beyond measure. It’s like Avril is as reviled as Justin Bieber. But every single put-down that I hear regarding Avril is just a bullshit sentiment.

Now I challenge you guys to...

Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
I don't understand why this means so much to you, and why you feel the need to rant on a U2 fansite about it?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #140
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
Okay, I’m gonna be straight with you guys. I just don’t get this double standard against Avril.

I get ridiculed and belittled by a lot by people for listening to Avril. Both in person and on the internet.

On the other hand, the general public doesn’t seem to have a problem with other female pop artists like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, P!nk, Kelly Clarkson, etc. Fans of these female artists usually aren't met with such a harshly negative reaction like Avril fans are. It seems as though these women get more appreciation from the public than Avril does.

Here are several notable examples of this double standard-

Avril is regarded as 100% manufactured pop fodder. But so is Britney, and everyone loves her.

Avril gets condemned for her immature behavoir, for her annoying/obnoxious music, for her bad singing, for her simplistic songwriting, and for her juvenile songs/lyrics. Yet, Pink has a shouty voice; sounds obnoxious in So What; drops S-bombs and F-bombs in Raise Your Glass; comes up with lyrics like “slam slam oh hot damn”; comes up with song titles like F***ing Perfect and U + Ur Hand; rides a lawnmower on stage; has had pink hair; and...well...uses the stage name “P!nk” with an exclamation point embedded in it. Moreover, let’s not forget such “thought-provoking” art as Lady Gaga’s Just Dance, Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream, Kelly Clarkson’s My Life Would Suck Without You, and Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Furthermore, it’s worth citing that Katy Perry is the same age as Avril is, while P!nk is a few years older.

Avril gets vilified for not reinventing herself, and for not growing/evolving/progressing/maturing musically and artistically. People say her songs are mostly dribble about partying, or about missing/loving someone. Yet, P!nk’s music has become repetitive since 2006, as she continues to release man-bashing singles (Blow Me), or self-empowerment singles (Raise Your Glass). And I’d be remiss not to mention all of Katy Perry’s songs about teenage sex. And for the past seven years, Taylor Swift has mostly released singles about boys (You Belong With Me, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble).

Avril gets censured for her “outdated” music. Yet, JT scores a smash hit with Mirrors, Bruno Mars with Treasure, Sara Barielles with Brave, and Paramore with Still Into You.

Avril is considered a “phony skate punk rebel” whose image has run its course. Yet, P!nk has a “badass rock star” persona, and people readily eat it up.

Avril frequently gets lumped into the same league of teenybopper singers that includes Justin Bieber and One Direction. Yet, no one bemoans about how Taylor Swift has legions of teen and tween girls making up the majority of her fanbase.

The world laughs at Avril being married to Chad Kroeger. Yet, no one laughs at all the guys that Taylor Swift has dated over the years. Plus, people forgave Britney for marrying K-Fed.

Why are other female artists more respected by the public than Avril is? Why do people think that it’s deserving of antagonism to listen to Avril?

I understand that haters gonna hate. But the level of Avril hate that I encounter among everyday people is just beyond measure. It’s like Avril is as reviled as Justin Bieber. But every single put-down that I hear regarding Avril is just a bullshit sentiment.

Now I challenge you guys to...

It's because she's Canadian, clearly.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 01-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #141
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, there's a wall of text I'll never read. Over think much?

Simple answer, her music sucks. And apparently it sucks so much that not even the average pop music fan likes it.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #142
45:33

Local Time: 03:24 AM
If I recall correctly... I'm reasonably sure HBK is well over the age of 18. I might be wrong... I hope I am.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #143
Refugee

Local Time: 04:24 PM
list those big hits Cyndi lauper had post 1989. Just keep them a coming.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Quote:

To be fair, I don't particularly care for or listen to any of the artists you mention in your post.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post

To be fair, I don't particularly care for or listen to any of the artists you mention in your post.
Bullshit, we all know you're Taylor Swift's second biggest fan (just behind Gaf, of course).
Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:24 AM
My advice to Avril: slut it up.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

Has that ever worked for you? I know you've tried that once or twice.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #148
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Has that ever worked for you? I know you've tried that once or twice.
Why don't you shut the hell up and list some post-1989 Cyndi Lauper hits?

Now.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #149
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Avril hate? I'd call it bemusement that she still exists within the music industry. If it weren't for her woeful taste in men occasionally resulting in a headline, I wouldn't be aware she'd done anything since "Sk8er Boi".

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
'Girlfriend' was pretty big here about 6-7 years ago. I don't recall anything since.