Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fly so high!

Refugee
Just watching a show (on FOXTEL) about

"The songs that made us".

For 25 years APRA (Australasian Performing Right Association ) have been honouring the achievements of Australian musicians.

List your favs and raise your glasses ladies and gentlemen.

A favourite of mine that i felt terribly guilty of overlooking this song for my dessert survival tracklist.

"Throw your arms around me" - Hunters & Collectors - Human Frailty 1986 :cute:

Lila64 said:
:heart: Midnight Oil :heart:

I'll raise a glass to that!

Also love INXS (w/ Michael Hutchence) and Icehouse.

Australia has produced some fabulous music.

fly so high! said:

"Throw your arms around me" - Hunters & Collectors - Human Frailty 1986 :cute:

:yes: love that one...

can't go past "never tear us apart"- or any Hutchence INXS actually,

"beds are burning",

"don't dream it's over" (i class crowded house as aussie):wink:

men at work- who can it be now, down under, be good johnny, over kill, Dr. Heckyll and Mr. Jive...
some savage garden is pretty good...

:up: Great thread!!

Cold Chisel would have to be my favourites along with Crowded House (remember anything crap from Oz gets pawned off to NZ, and anything good to come from NZ is officially Ostrayan. :wink: )Khe Sahn is THE definitve Australian anthem. There is no better way to finish a party then to have 20/30 pissed blokes standing in a circle, arms around each other, belting out "the last plane outta Sydney's almost gone!!!!!!" :love:

It's a shame Aussie music can't hold its head up so high these days. :(

COBL_04 said:

It's a shame Aussie music can't hold its head up so high these days. :(

i know... i'm 18 and wish i was around when all of the above were around :sigh: - hence why i raid dad's cd's...
i suppose we still have silverchair- their new stuff is ok i guess
eskimo joe got boring after a while...

Acrobat Angel said:

i know... i'm 18 and wish i was around when all of the above were around :sigh: - hence why i raid dad's cd's...
i suppose we still have silverchair- their new stuff is ok i guess
eskimo joe got boring after a while...

:sigh: I agree. I got so sick of Straight Lines and BFRW after 2 million plays on the radio... Imagine seeing Cold Chisel and the rest in their hayday :drool:

Countdown :drool:

What's everyone's email/myspace here? Aussie music fans rejoice! myspace.com/papstie

There is a four part series titled Great Australian Albums on SBS starting in late July some might be interested in. Here is the schedule (and the bands/albums featured).

Silverchair, Diorama - 8.30pm, Saturday, July 28, SBS
Crowded House, Woodface - 8.30pm, Saturday, August 4, SBS
Triffids, Born Sandy Devotional - 8.30pm, Saturday, August 11, SBS
The Saints, (I’m) Stranded - 8.30pm, Saturday, August 18, SBS

At least a few are bound to be interesting.

The one on the Triffids even includes an interview with my favourite not-quite-Aussie-but-he-is-a-permanent-resident musician. :D

(and also interviews with Paul Kelly and members of the Go-B's)

Clips from each episode are here

Last edited:
AC/DC
people-rockingdude2.gif

May as well count them here, but I love Split Enz and Crowded House in moderation, I mean I don't know if I could listen to them all the time but they're such a treat every now and again.

I used to really love the Baby Animals when I was younger. INXS too. And the Oils... and Chisel. I still rather like all of them, just not as much.

What's everyone's email/myspace here? Aussie music fans rejoice! myspace.com/papstie

Hey mate, mind if I add you on Myspace?

Go for it man! That's what I left it for. I need the friends... :sad: I'm almost at 100.

How humilating is it when you start and it says 'you have 1 friend' :lol:

Back on topic... :shifty:

Off the top of my head, some Australian bands/artists I enjoy to various degrees:

Nick Cave :bow:
Augie March
Sarah Blasco
The Drones
Kylie Minogue
Ground Components
New Buffalo
INXS
Powderfinger
Silverchair
Hilltop Hoods
Savage Garden
Missy Higgins
Lisa Gerrard
Eskimo Joe
George
Deborah Conway
Dirty Three

I don't know many Australian bands but INXS, AC/DC and JET are a few that I have albums for. Also like a few other songs by artists like Natalie Imbruglia, Savage Garden, Men At Work, John Farnham, Midnight Oil...

Down Under said:

Thanks for that link! Man, you guys are gonna make fun of me. :lol: Go to the following link:

http://www.humannature.com.au/musicbox/home.do

Anyone remember these guys? Scroll all the way down to the Wishes video. I used to love that song at the time. :reject: x infinity

Saracene said:
Off the top of my head, some Australian bands/artists I enjoy to various degrees:

Nick Cave :bow:
Augie March
Sarah Blasco
The Drones
Kylie Minogue
Ground Components
New Buffalo
INXS
Powderfinger
Silverchair
Hilltop Hoods
Savage Garden
Missy Higgins
Lisa Gerrard
Eskimo Joe
George
Deborah Conway
Dirty Three

Yes I enjoy quite a few of those folks. Go Aussie.

indra said:
There is a four part series titled Great Australian Albums on SBS starting in late July some might be interested in. Here is the schedule (and the bands/albums featured).

Silverchair, Diorama - 8.30pm, Saturday, July 28, SBS
Crowded House, Woodface - 8.30pm, Saturday, August 4, SBS
Triffids, Born Sandy Devotional - 8.30pm, Saturday, August 11, SBS
The Saints, (I’m) Stranded - 8.30pm, Saturday, August 18, SBS

At least a few are bound to be interesting.

The one on the Triffids even includes an interview with my favourite not-quite-Aussie-but-he-is-a-permanent-resident musician. :D

(and also interviews with Paul Kelly and members of the Go-B's)

Clips from each episode are here
As always Indra, you are a font of info on Oz music!! :bow: Not bad for a Yank :wink:

A lot of the band/musicians I listen to are Australian or based in Australia.

Some faves:

The Church
Steve Kilbey -- including his side projects such as Mimesis, Isidore, Hex, Jack Frost (w/Grant McLennan), Gilt Trip
Gersey
Art of Fighting
Go-Betweens (I tend to prefer McLennan's songs to Robert Forster's)
Grant McLennan
Stephen Cummings
David Lane
Halogen
Big Spaceship (a side project of Martin Kennedy of All India Radio, which I also like -- I just currently like Big Spaceship better)
GB3

And I like occasional songs by Midnight Oil, INXS, Crowded House, and Split Enz (haven't really heard much more than a few songs from Crowded House or Split Enz though).

Key Aussie bands in history: INXS, Midnight Oil, Icehouse, Aussie Crawl, Church.

I'm over AC/DC, and while Cold Chisel and Barnesy and Ian Moss have some real crackers, they could very much be hit or miss.

Silverchair are choc-abloc full of credibility. A bunch of musicians always willing to try something different and always doing what they wanna do. They will never top Freak Show though.

Most under-rated Aussie bands in my reckoning are THINGS OF STONE AND WOOD. Victorian lads who had a one-hit wonder with Happy Birthday Helen in '93. Hard to find their albums, but I got a best of which has some oh-so-sweet tunes (Fingertips, Churchill's Black Dog, Share This Wine, Wildflowers). Their songs reek of Australia and especially Melbourne. Amazing band.....

Also, MOTOR ACE. Those who only know them for Carry On might dismiss them as just one of those in the same mould as Grinspoon, Bodyjar and Area 7, but they've got something extra special about them. All talented musicians, they're third and commercially underappreciated final album album, 2005's ANIMAL, was an Aussie masterpiece. Pat Robertson's vocal is just a delight, and they're always willing to tweak the "Motor Ace sound." So many of today's Aussie bands owe a lot to them. Heavily influenced by The Verve, although their third album is a pop-punk gem.

Don't be forgetting Tripod, guys. ;)

Lots of great artists already mentioned here and on that Aussie Bands site, here are some others that I reckon are worthy of mention:

Lior
The Cat Empire
Little Birdy
The Beautiful Girls
Pete Murray
1200 Techniques
The Superjesus
Blue King Brown
Australian Crawl (Mullet power, brought to you by YouTube)
The Divinyls
Frente
Little River Band
Midnight Juggernauts
Mondo Rock

And because I got distracted by music videos on YouTube, here's some more classic Aussie stuff:

Icehouse (More mullet power)
Nick Cave (The Goth Mullet King: "Lock up your daughters." And sons too, because it's Stagger Lee)
Mental As Anything (Dags)

Very glad that someone else mentioned
Baby Animals, at least their first album was worth buying..

I actually met Mondo once. Very very cool, he toured with U2 on their Lovetown tour :up:

And I would not include Icehouse, Aussie Crawl or Church in the key bands. Cold Chisel and ACDC rate much more higher in that category.

intedomine said:
Silverchair are choc-abloc full of credibility. A bunch of musicians always willing to try something different and always doing what they wanna do. They will never top Freak Show though.

Depends on your tastes I guess, I think Diorama is a masterpiece and a great leap forward from their earlier stuff although even in the early days the raw talent was undeniable. Haven't yet made up my mind on Young Modern..

Will have to check out Motor Ace, I recognise the name but not sure that I've heard any of their stuff, or at least don't know if it by their name..

COBL_04 said:
I actually met Mondo once. Very very cool, he toured with U2 on their Lovetown tour :up:

And I would not include Icehouse, Aussie Crawl or Church in the key bands. Cold Chisel and ACDC rate much more higher in that category.

:tsk: :tsk: i think thats just cos you are so young.

the church are brilliant.
Ice house - Great southern land HELOOOO....

Aussie crawl- reckless, oh no not you again , Errol.

dont make me educate you boy :madwife:
:wink:

nick cave OMG

:drool: :drool: :drool:

saw james reyne not so long ago (aussie crawl) he was awesome , seeing mark seymore (Hunters and Collectors fucking truly rockin) next weekend will be :up:

Back
Top Bottom