Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just surprised with the freight trains going right through the middle, a drunk bogan hasn't attempted to hitch a ride.

The main stage by the river gets better in the late afternoon once the shade from the buildings spreads across the roadway. You can be in total shade on the rail. Meanwhile that grassy amphitheatre stage remains pretty hot if you want to be up the front (though it's still easily the nicest stage).

This is an argument to find out what the Sydney setting is like...

I'm just surprised with the freight trains going right through the middle, a drunk bogan hasn't attempted to hitch a ride.

Yeah, I'm surprised that didn't happen when Violent Soho played. God they attracted the worst fans.

Went to a little festival here in Wollongong last month headlined by them and the same was true.

Yeah, I'm surprised that didn't happen when Violent Soho played. God they attracted the worst fans.

Went to a little festival here in Wollongong last month headlined by them and the same was true.

Pretty damn ordinary band too. Can't stand them.

I'd be tempted to go just for Slowdive.

I could've gone home before they played but I decided to give them a chance live.

After five or so songs I decided to beat the crowd. :lol:

Not sure what other Laneways are like but the Footscray one is particularly horrible, thanks to the narrow stages and all the fucking asphalt with no shade on a hot day.
that sounds horrible, i've been to festivals like that and it really makes it hard to have a good time. i don't get why places with warmer climates (those where the winters are milder) don't do what the real south™ does here, like in texas and florida and have most of their festivals in autumn and winter.

here in austin, sxsw is in march, and acl is next month. last year i went to day for night in houston, which is in december, right before christmas. and in florida, edc is in november. the shit like with the edc in vegas being in july, or even the ultimate™ burning man™ (i like edm okay, sorry this isn't totally aussie-specific but umm hey, i know cut copy is gonna be at acl this year so hey) is in august.

to make up for my last post, i will say though more on the subject of cut copy, i have been listening to their two new songs since they've come out and i'm quite pleased. i wasn't much of a fan of zonoscope and much of free your mind was kinda meh (though i am probs overdue for a revisit of the album, don't think i'll change my mind on zonoscope though) so i am glad to see some of the magic from in ghost colours is back. it's obvs not the same music as in ghost colours, just like music by them that i can really get into.

Seriously, I don't know why summer is festival season here. Autumn can stay very hot until quite late too (March is the worst fucking month). Festivals really ought to be in spring. Some October festival action would be great.

At least Splendour's in July and always coughs up good sideshows for those of us who sure as shit aren't going to Byron fucking Bay.

Seriously, I don't know why summer is festival season here. Autumn can stay very hot until quite late too (March is the worst fucking month). Festivals really ought to be in spring. Some October festival action would be great.

At least Splendour's in July and always coughs up good sideshows for those of us who sure as shit aren't going to Byron fucking Bay.
i'm gonna have to pull a superthread™ and not multipost because i can't figure out how to do it on the most recent version of the app. oh well.

exactly, spring would be ideal. to me, unless it's some place where they actually get snow during winter, festivals can be held even then, as long as you're fairly north. i saw some great footage of a doof in...i can't remember the specific city, but it was in australia. it looked amazing but i stopped short of researching it because i knew it'd be in fucking february or something and i'd want to die. i got heat exhaustion once at a music festival and i was in the shade, so yeah i couldn't handle that shit.

interesting read. much of this i knew, but i hadn't thought about if some songs might ring hollow or even seem hypocritical now. sunshine of they release new music (i forget if they are), it'll be interesting to see if it still has the fire off their original stuff.

that all said that though, the headline makes me cringe. i hate when journos (yw cobbz) do that shit. like i've lost count of how many articles i've read titled including the phrase "duran duran are still hungry."

also my revisit of free your mind (the album, not the forum lol) wasn't as bad as i remembered. the first half is really strong, actually. it lost me after the second half though, huge drop in quality and i couldn't even finish it.

i remember zonoscope also being uneven. basically i like their really dancey stuff (lights and music, saturdays, corner of the sky, footsteps) and their other songs always lose me.

Looks like I'm going to the Sydney Laneway. Let's hope its setting is better than the Melbourne one.

also my revisit of free your mind (the album, not the forum lol) wasn't as bad as i remembered. the first half is really strong, actually. it lost me after the second half though, huge drop in quality and i couldn't even finish it.

i remember zonoscope also being uneven. basically i like their really dancey stuff (lights and music, saturdays, corner of the sky, footsteps) and their other songs always lose me.

I revisited Free Your Mind yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. It's really good. Dips away a little in the middle, but the Eurodance tinged Meet Me In The House of Love and Footsteps are such a lot of fun. Really keen to check them live again.

I revisited Free Your Mind yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. It's really good. Dips away a little in the middle, but the Eurodance tinged Meet Me In The House of Love and Footsteps are such a lot of fun. Really keen to check them live again.
agreed. i ended up listening to it a couple times at work since my post, and the beginning half or so is really strong. i'm not a fan of their slower stuff, i listen to them to dance tbh.

the song they dropped last week (blanking on the name) is awesome, too. airborne is still my fave though of the three new tracks.

Cobbs will be pleased about this. Big win here for Kardajala Kirridarra: Here are the winners of Happy Mag's Needle in the Hay competition!

I'm also really happy to see my new mates Egoism as one of the runners up. Originally met them in February when they made their first trip to Melbourne for a gig with Flyying Colours, and so far I've kind of relied on them to point me in the right direction for the Sydney scene. They played a great set with Deafcult last month (and Deafcult's Auras is still my favourite album of the year).

I assume this page exists fro King Gizzard

No.

I want to listen to their new record, because I literally live in Brunswick East now, but the love for them is a bit silly.

I actually saw them play at the University of Melbourne way back in 2011. It was kind of funny actually, the week before the lunchtime crowd was absolutely nuts for Jinja Safari, while basically nobody cared about the Gizz. I enjoyed it well enough but took them for a novelty band who weren't worth paying much ongoing attention to. And then they kept churning out releases I couldn't be bothered listening to.

Then suddenly they were every bro's favourite band, so no thanks.

New Cut Copy is streaming. Feels a lot like a throwback to In Ghost Colours, though not as immediate.

I want to listen to their new record, because I literally live in Brunswick East now, but the love for them is a bit silly.

i find the album very calm, chilling but very low-effort. I've heard they were inspired by Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain, which was arranged by Gil Evans and it's supposed to be chill and not dramatic, but man, it sounds like they just did it to churn out more materials and fulfill their goal of releasing 5 albums this year. I wish they developed ideas more and actually release them when they're ready and presentable. because it used to be, like, an album a year and they released better albums then.

I just know them as rattlesnake rattlesnake rattlesnake rattlesnake rattlesnake rattlesnake rattlesnake

Back
Top Bottom