Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, either, but yeah, ditto :(.

Been skimming this thread, sorry I'd missed it before. Will definitely check out some of the bands here I'm not familiar with-all for learning more about music from that part of the world :).

Also, Midnight Oil and Hunters & Collectors :up: (I still only know two songs by the latter group, but I like those two songs, so, um, yeah).

Angela

i must be missing something with hunters and collectors. i remember neil finn saying he wished he'd written the song which i guess made me expect too much. i think it sucks. i've heard a few of their songs now (can't recall any other song titles but it'd be the hits) and i'm still not blown away.

:reject:

i must be missing something with hunters and collectors. i remember neil finn saying he wished he'd written the song which i guess made me expect too much. i think it sucks. i've heard a few of their songs now (can't recall any other song titles but it'd be the hits) and i'm still not blown away.

:reject:

i think they sum up a lot of Aussie music pretty well... definitely got a good few songs but they're nothing more than a good or really good band.

i just ordered a physical copy... i've been living off the torrent.

it's a great album, but the fact that the vocals are almost identical to Lennon's throws me off after two or three songs.

I haven't really noticed that. The album does remind a bit of the later Beatles work and that's definitly not a bad thing.

I'm not sure if anyone here is planning to watch the ARIA awards, but if you do, keep an eye out for Steve Kilbey who is presenting an award. After 30 years of pissing off, ignoring, and being ignored by, the music industry, Steve gave an adorable (long, rambling and very funny) speech at the ARIA Hall of Fame inductions which it seems charmed quite a few in the biz. While I really don't think presenting an award is the kind of situation where Steve can shine (does anyone shine doing that?), it is kinda cool that he was asked, especially considering I don't think the church has charted anywhere since about 1990. :)

Although I don't expect anything as good as Pink driving a lawnmower on stage, the Arias is always good for a laugh so I'll keep an eye out for him.

i think they sum up a lot of Aussie music pretty well... definitely got a good few songs but they're nothing more than a good or really good band.
Natural Selection is one of the best compilation albums out there
H&C were something quite special

Although I don't expect anything as good as Pink driving a lawnmower on stage, the Arias is always good for a laugh so I'll keep an eye out for him.

I'm reading a bunch of Twitter posts about the show, and it sounds absolutely hilarious in a train wreck kind of way. :lol:

Alrighty then. Obviously not one of Killer's better moments. He looked tense and nervous (needed some of what the Stones were taking!) and out of his element -- I'm sure he was not thrilled about having to thank the corporate sponsors either. It looked to me that they had wanted a mini Hall of Fame speech from him, but ran out of time and cut him off (could have been for the best, since it wasn't really going all that well...). I did love that he managed to get that Magnum Hopeless pun in there though. That pretty much summed up the whole show.... :lol:

I had to google her, yep. I find their music as irritating as their whole crawled out of the forest, tiedyed, vegan, hemp wearing aesthetic.

And cobbler, it's more like 20 years.... I saw Washington do the musical bits on GNW last year and found her put on vagueness terribly irritating. Her music doesn't do much for me either.

Tim Rogers is snogging/shagging/consorting with Megan Washington. Allegedly. BEG no like. Why Tim, why? :grumpy:

What the fffuck

I still swear to god I sat next to Tim on the plane to Sydney. There weren't any You Am I shows in Hobart but he could have been checking out the Mona festival. He pretty much just fell asleep and every now and then talked to a blonde girl, could there be a bizarre love triangle?!

At least I can say I slept with Tim Rogers.

Rebooting this one.

It's been a tremendous year for Aussie music, Aussie women in particular. I've not really paid attention to much new Aussie music in the past, which is something I'm slowly trying to correct, but it's been really easy this year thanks to a heap of great releases.

Kardajala Kirridarra - Kardajala Kirridarra
Only heard about this one through an Axver rec last week - and I daresay it's going to be one of my absolute, absolute favourites of the year. Four Indigenous women put out their self-titled debut album. It's a mix of traditional Indigenous music, electronica, natural soundscapes, light pop at times, hip-hop too, and is mostly sung in Mudburra language, although has some English as well. I'm thoroughly, thoroughly impressed by it and I really hope they will take off. Would love to see them live. Each track is as good as the last, but Ngurra (Rain Song) is probably the one that will grab most people on first listen.

Home | triple j Unearthed

Ali Barter - A Suitable Girl
I've been a fan of hers since I saw her take a steaming shit on Waxahatchee at the Toff. Her new album is so great, full of fucking fantastic guitar rock/pop. She's an outspoken feminist and has just started working with a charity startup providing tampons to homeless women. This album is packed to the hilt with killer tunes, my favourites are The Captain and Walk/Talk for their savage guitar playing, but Cigarette was one of the lead singles and it owns and it's a great taster.

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - The French Press
Just an EP, but fucking great signs. The French Press is one of my favourite songs of the year, and everything else here is almost as good. Taut slacker rock if that makes any remote sense. Bit of jangle to it as well. Love them. They're signed to Sub Pop too.

There's been plenty more as well... Cable Ties are female punk, Gang of Youths have a new album out next month, and I'm forgetting a few.

And Ax will have many more to add!

Yep, great write-ups. I love how much you're digging that Kardajala Kirridarra EP. It's one of the most original and sincere releases I've heard this year. Cable Ties are savage. I should dig Rolling Blackouts CF but... they just aren't clicking for me. And of course I agree about Ali Barter, an absolutely vital musician in the current scene. I don't like "Cigarette" though. "Light Them on Fire" is the song that got me into her when she played Laneway in February 2016:

Deafcult - Auras

Probably my favourite album so far this year. Deafcult are not only a great band; they are also great people. They always do acknowledgements of country, Innez called out the dodgy sexist lyrics of a support band at the Corner last year (when they were both supporting Citizen), Stevie split his beer with me at Nothing because he's a champ, not to mention scathingly sarcastic, and they are one of the fucking loudest bands I've ever heard. They have four guitars and bass, and crank them all up. When they supported Infinite Void and Camp Cope at the Old Bar a couple of years ago and proceeded to deafen everybody in Fitzroy, some wag yelled "turn it up!" Innez just deadpanned back "we actually could".

So anyway. Their live shows, much like their debut EP in 2015, are a total assault of guitar noise. You can almost never hear Stevie and Innez sing; Stevie jokes that it's because he can't sing, but in a moment of seriousness he also told me it's because the microphone would feed back uncontrollably. So I was curious how the record would sound. And it turns out there are some fantastic vocal melodies in the mix, and I'm always a sucker for shared male/female harmonies. "Lemonade Beauty" is a fantastic opener, but my pick for best track is "Rubix":

(I'm hoping to organise Roogaze again next year and get Deafcult on it. Innez seemed interested when I spoke about it with her, but I'm not going to seriously think about it for some months yet.)

Major Leagues - Good Love

Another great band to come out of Brisbane. I love Jaimee and Anna's shared lead vocals. Honestly, Good Love doesn't quite live up to my expectations based on their first two EPs and live shows. It's a bit ramshackle with some silly moments, like the random shouted intro by the drummer between the first and second tracks. That sort of thing will appeal to some listeners but not to me. The middle of the album is great though. The title track is wonderful:

I also want to share this from their Dream States EP, because it's one of the all-time great Australian rock songs:

I also want to mention Methyl Ethel, since they're a wonderful live band. They seem to have really broken through on Triple J with this year's album Everything Is Forgotten, but I don't rate it as nearly as good as their debut Oh Inhuman Spectacle (or "Architecture Lecture" from the Guts EP). "Ubu" seems to be really popular but I think it's only average; the keeper from the new album is "Weeds Through the Rind".

Otherwise I think the biggest local-ish hitters are those coming out of New Zealand - I'm not going to shut up about Fazerdaze or Mermaidens any time soon.

Also hearing a lot of good things about Jen Cloher's (Courtney Barnett's missus) new album. Dan Sultan as well (did not know he was Aboriginal for some reason!)

Back
Top Bottom