Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow great review COBL 04, I gotta stand front row and see the Oils at their last U.S. show in 2002, and meet them afterwards...can't believe its been 6 years since they called it quits, so awesome to see them perform once again...truly one of the great live bands in history.

Cool U2inUtah. Musta been great to meet them. Can't believe it's been that long since we last saw them. They were always great live. I remember the show shortly after 9/11. Peter was clearly agitated when they came out, mumbling something about the hassle of getting in the USA. They opened with a ripping Redneck Wonderland. Thought of that cuz they opened this show with it.

COBL, if Bonnie says she dreamed your gonna be on the front page, it's gonna happen. If not the Sun, we have the Weekly World News here. You get to make up whatever you want. They'll print it :lol:

Hunters were one of my all time favorite shows. At one of the dumpiest bars in LA. Musta been early to mid-80's. Some of my fave H&C songs are Judas Sheep, Sway, Run Run Run, World of Stone, Talking to a Stranger. Devastating sound live. Archer's bass & the Horns of Contempt :drool: :rockon:

Glad you made it there. Enz and a short Crowded House set :applaud: Wasn't Coldplay there also?

They played in Sydney unfortunately... and they went off in Sydney. But the MCG would have fucking exploded had they played there.

I even like Viva La Vida (the song) live. :shifty:

Now I was going to make a thread about this, but decided not enough people will know him, so I'll just post it here. But I'm beginning to really love Paul Kelly. He's amazing. Here's a bloke, one of, if not the, best singer/songwriters Australia has produced, who could have just as easily been a poet, or a novelist, an Aboriginal rights campaigner even. I will go so far as to say he is our Bob Dylan - and that's not just because he plays the harmonica. He's a storyteller. I've got his best of, Songs From the South, and been loving him more and more since I saw him at Sound Relief. Unfortunately I won't be able to see him in May because I've got cricket presentation the same night. But man what an artist.

Take a song like Everything's Turning to White. Have a look at the lyrics!

Late on a Friday my husband went up to the mountains with three friends
They took provisions and bottles of bourbon to last them all through the weekend
One hundred miles they drove just to fish in a stream
And there's so much water so close to home
When they arrived it was cold and dark; they set up their camp quickly
Warmed up with whisky they walked to the river where the water flowed past darkly
In the moonlight they saw the body of a young girl floating face down
And there's so much water so close to home
When he hold me now I'm pretending
I feel like I'm frozen inside
And behind my eyes, my daily disguise
Everything's turning to white
It was too hard to tell how long she'd been dead, the river was that close to freezing
But one thing for sure, the girl hadn't died very well to judge from the bruising
They stood there above her all thinking the same thoughts at the same time
There's so much water so close to home

They carried her downstream from their fishing; between two rocks they gently wedged her
After all they'd come so far, it was late
And the girl would keep; she was going nowhere
They stayed up there fishing for two days
They reported it on Sunday when they came back down
When he holds me now I'm pretending
The newspapers said that the girl had been strangled to death and also molested
On the day of the funeral the radio reported that a young man had been arrested
I went to the service a stranger; I drove past the lake out of town
When he holds me now I'm pretending

Incredible.

he writes wonderful songs, but the singing is not always the greatest. Some of his lyrics are amazing :heart:

and you right about the Bob Dylan thing, because they are my same thoughts about him.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

Award for bushfire gigs | Herald Sun

sounds like it isn't going to include the full 18 hours combined, but still...

sound relief dvd to be released oct 2 for those can't be bothered

here's hoping they just leave off kasey chambers altogether :)

Or maybe a "household of three" consisting of Little Birdy woman, Kasey Chambers and Ella Hooper or whatever from Killing Heidi.

Me and my objectification of women.

I can't find an active Split Enz/Tim Finn sort of thread on B&C, so this is the closest thing. I have a message.

Tonight in Melbourne ...

I GOT TIM FINN TO PLAY HERMIT MCDERMITT.

That is all.

Mate you can't just come in here (read with thick Tony Greig accent) and post something like that and not elaborate goddamit.

Did you hear about Phil Judd?

No, I haven't heard about Judd ...?

And OK, here's what I just posted in the Superthread (slightly modified), for everybody's interest. I'm still fucking floating right now.

Holy fucking SHIT. Tim had done his main set, and during the encore break, I said to Alison that I'd decided to call for Hermit McDermitt. We laughed, thinking it'd never get paid - plus we're fairly up the back of the Athenaeum so I didn't really even expect he'd hear me. He came back out, everybody cheered, it went quiet ... the following conversation happened:

Me: PLAY HERMIT MCDERMITT! :associated cheering from other people:
Tim: Okay.
Me: GO ON! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!
Tim: I'm hermit McDermitt, if there's a better way I'll learn it/I'm hermit McDermitt, my regular ways confirm it/I'm hermit McDermitt in my tower of ivory/If you find me, I'll burn it, you won't see me for dust, there's no-one I trust, a hermit I must be ...

THEN HE HOLDS OUT THE MICROPHONE AND CALLS FOR THE VERSE.

I totally froze and couldn't remember the next bloody line! All I could do was yell a sarcastic and laughing "don't put me on the spot" (since that's exactly what I'd done to him; I hope the sarcasm carried!). Luckily some other woman yells out a lyric and he tries to keep going, and he and Eddie Rayner (Eddie Rayner!) PLAY THE SONG! More to the point, the verses are mostly instrumental since nobody can remember many lyrics, but we get the choruses in full each time. Eddie Rayner remarked that he couldn't believe he could remember it.

IT WAS SO FUCKING EPIC.

What an amazing, amazing concert moment.

Below is Tim's full set, per what I entered into my mobile phone (I ... don't think I missed anything?):

1. Six Months In A Leaky Boat
2. Persuasion
3. Chocolate Cake (!)
4. My Mistake
5. Parihaka
6. Luckiest Man Alive
7. The Saw And The Tree
8. Couldn't Be Done - hilarious false start
9. Dirty Creature
10. Fraction Too Much Friction
11. Shark Attack (snippet) / Into The Water
12. Made My Day (I think?)