Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now there's a stupid idea, tipping.

I only tolerated it in the US because I knew how badly the people were being rorted, though even then, I let my friends do it for me. I will never tip anybody in my life. I'm not responsible for paying somebody's wage, their employer is; if they aren't paying a fair wage, the government - not me - should be doing something about it.

intedomine said:

My qualm however, was with people being paid less merely because they happen to be younger than their fellow workers.

Ageism is rampant in our society.

At least that's only for a few years. A worker can make minimum wage, or not much above it, for decades here.

But working sucks any way you cut it. :wink:

:bump:

Thought I would bump this thread people, before I nick off to cricket, because we last night experienced one of the greatest concerts ever, with the simultaneous Sound Relief concerts. I went to the Melbourne one, and will post back later, buy my god. Was it incredible. To hear Hunters & Collecters, Split Enz and Midnight Oil playing back to back and so well too, was nothing short of incredible.

Thought I would bump this thread people, before I nick off to cricket, because we last night experienced one of the greatest concerts ever, with the simultaneous Sound Relief concerts. I went to the Melbourne one, and will post back later, buy my god. Was it incredible. To hear Hunters & Collecters, Split Enz and Midnight Oil playing back to back and so well too, was nothing short of incredible.

Very awesome.....wish I went, though I didn't cause I was all bitter about Sydney having a better line up (Pyke, Colplay, Icehouse, Eskimo Joe) so I kinda "boycotted" it for that reason.

I'll admit the Sydney line up was contaminated with the late additions of Marcia Hines and Farnham, and ours was enhanced with Kylie, but Coldplay > Kings Of Leon.....and Jack Johnson would bore me immensely, while Josh Pyke would excite me immensely.

Sydney also had You Am I, though I reckon Paul Kelly would've been incredible in Melbs.

through the beauty of foxtel i saw both concerts, mebourne won hands down ! could only be enhanced by having paul kelly.

i hope the dvd comes out !

Wow!

Where's the post back later? :)

What did they all play? How long were the sets. Did the Hunters bring the horns? I gots ta know.

This is about as good a rock concert lineup your gonna get these days :drool: And some of you passed it up? :huh:

There is a DVD and CD coming out jen.

Wow!

Where's the post back later? :)

What did they all play? How long were the sets. Did the Hunters bring the horns? I gots ta know.

This is about as good a rock concert lineup your gonna get these days :drool: And some of you passed it up? :huh:

I barely had time to scratch myself on the weekend :lol:

Most of the earlier sets ranged from about 20 minutes (Kings) to about 40, and then the last three all got about 45 to an hour. I've written an article which I'll post, too.

Paul Kelly played Dumb Things, To Her Door, Leaps & Bounds and my all-time favourite, How To Make Gravy :love: :love: I really want to go and see him in May now. 80 bucks a pop.

Split Enz, ask Axver, I only knew I Got You, Message to My Girl, Six Months in a Leaky Boat - fucking incredible - and I See Red.

Hunnas played about seven songs, of which I knew When the River Runs Dry, Do You See What I See, Holy Grail, Throw, and ended on some old song called Slug, or something like that. And yes indeed, the brought the horns, and they were in fine form.

Midnight Oil - I was surprised how many songs I knew, I'd heard them all before but didn't know they were Oil songs.

I think it was pretty tough to get tickets.

It's also a staple at weddings, even though it's about a one-night stand.

Really? :lol:

HOLY CRAP! If you find audio or video of these (for me, preferably Enz & Oil), please post, share, PM, etc. And more details about what Sound Relief is/was. Like hardy said, how could anyone have passed up seeing these three bands in one night? ESPECIALLY Midnight Oil :heart:

HOLY CRAP! If you find audio or video of these (for me, preferably Enz & Oil), please post, share, PM, etc. And more details about what Sound Relief is/was. Like hardy said, how could anyone have passed up seeing these three bands in one night? ESPECIALLY Midnight Oil :heart:

No worries. When the DVD comes around, I'll rip the audio and share.

I'll post my article within half an hour. I'm an aspiring writer, so do critique ;)

I'll let Danny do his thang, but basicall Lila, it was a benefit concert for the natural disasters that occurred here in February, primarily the bushfires in Victoria which claimed over 200 lives.

So the Hunnas didn't play True Tears Of Joy... ?

IT IS indeed hard to sum up what an experience yesterday’s Melbourne Sound Relief concert was.
Seldom do we see such extraordinary things all coming together so effortlessly, with such success, such resonance.​
But this was exactly what happened at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground over 12 hours yesterday.​
The weather has long been a running joke in this city, and yesterday it made no surprises as bucketing rain was interspersed with bursts of sunlight. But in a touching show of spirit, the rain refused to deter the crowd of more than 80,000, instead, seeming to spur them on.​
Some might scoff at that suggestion; but in this country, it is something to be savoured. The relieving rain, coupled with concert MC’s news that “all the bushfires across the state have been contained,” sent the crowd into raptures, arguably the biggest of the day.​
The irony was beautiful – the day concerts were held in support of the bushfire appeal, was the day that the heavens opened up. World famous skater Tony Hawk, a special guest, reflected on it, calling the scenes “poetic.”​
Music has a great ability to transcend the norm, more so than any other medium, and to reach out and touch hearts. It’s why yesterday’s concert was so magical – the pouring rain seemed to enhance the show, giving it a mystical quality.​
The omniscient dull skies above were in stark contrast with the sea of blue, green and yellow ponchos of below.​
The amazing show of solidarity from all involved was incredible.​
Melbourne rockers Jet began the show in fine style with their hit, Rip it Up. They have achieved success on a global scaling, their music drawing from Iggy Pop to the Beatles. Dandenong’s own Gabriella Cilmi performed her numbers before flying back to the US to continue her own tour.​
The first big cheers were reserved for Kings of Leon, backing up after playing a gig the previous night across the road at Rod Laver Arena. They decided to bypass their biggest hit however, Sex on Fire, citing insensitivity, but still wowed the crowd with Crawl, Use Somebody and Revelry.​
Homegrown Paul Kelly was next, and the legendary songwriter failed to disappoint, even without one of his many backing bands. Leaps and Bounds, the MCG-referencing song, got the crowd firing, before a touching version of How to Make Gravy and then finishing a capella.​
The rain became fierce as rap group Bliss n Eso began their set, firing up the crowd with fast-paced rhymes and some dirty beats. The rain again refused to deter, and so powerful was their set the weather itself was almost blown away.​
Perth’s Augie March brought the crowd of any weather related doldrums with a stirring rendition of their most resonant hit, One Crowded Hour. An excellent set was but a glimpse of what was to come.​
Little known Liam Finn – son of Neil and nephew of Tim – burst onto the stage with unrivalled energy. Few knew his songs but most appreciated his multi talents and his irrefutable stage presence. At one stage he covered singing, thrashing guitar, running amok and drum soloing, all within the space of a minute. The oldies he may have isolate soon forgave him when he cut a more collected figure as he took up the drums for a surprise Crowded House set. With Neil and bassist Nick Seymour in attendance the ‘Crowdies’ brought the crowd to their feet with Don’t Dream It’s Over, Weather With You and Better Be Home Soon – which Neil dedicated to the firefighters. They were unbelievable and didn’t miss a beat.​
Regular cutaways of the Sydney gig provided highlights with Coldplay and John Farnham’s You’re the Voice rousing the Melbournians sensationally.​
The minute’s silence – though interrupted by drunken lager louts – ended with Kylie Minogue standing, on stage, and she led the crowd through a heart pulling performance of I Still Call Australia Home.​
Messages from Princes William and Harry were heartfelt and served as precursors to what would be an incredible final few hours.​
Loveable larrikins Hamish and Andy then brought the crowd into a jovial mood, with Andy saying, “Hamish and I had a fight this morning, and we broke up. But they asked us to reform for Sound Relief, and so here we are.” The crowd laughed, then cheered monstrously as Hunters and Collectors made their way onto the stage. Mark Seymour, who was originally opposed to the idea of reforming, was very appreciative, and led the band through rousing renditions of their biggest hits, including When the River Runs Dry, an awesome version of Holy Grail complete with the horns, and their worldwide hit Throw Your Arms Around Me. In exceptional form, they played one more song, The Slab, which would have pleased many of the ‘Hunnas’ devotees.​
Next was the Australian-adopted Split Enz, headed again by Neil and Tim Finn. Their set, almost an hour, was so energetic and pulsating that the provided the absolute highlight of the night – an extended version of Six Months in a Leaky Boat, complete with a blistering solo towards the end. They finished with a relentless performance of I See Red.​
But what the crowd was waiting for all day finally came at just before 9pm – Midnight Oil, and the audience was accordingly mental as the Oils opened with the searing Redneck Wonderland. Led by the musician-cum-politician Peter Garrett, they were well received and all Garrett’s dance moves were lapped up happily. Fan favourites Blue Sky Mine and King of the Mountain were both played, whilst two of their biggest hits, Beds are Burning and Power and the Passion were saved till toward the end of the set. So awesome were the Oils, it seemed as if they had never broken up. One rabid fan even jumped onto scaffolding, flew all the way to the top of the tower and had the crowd right behind him as he lapped it up. Security of course were less than impressed when he came down, but it seemed to suit the moment.​
An unforgettable day, afternoon, evening and night.​

Back
Top Bottom