Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:
You'll know Carry On, ripper of a tune.

Yep sure do, had a squiz at it on YouTube (ah what would I do without it? More work?). And it is a pretty good tune, bit of an Oasis influence there? I didn't recognise the song at first, it must have been released during one of the periods when I wasn't listening to radio that much..

Originally posted by COBL_04
I actually met Mondo once. Very very cool, he toured with U2 on their Lovetown tour

Hm, Mondo Rock the band??

Just realised. Thinking of the wrong band/person. Boy is my face red. :reject:

I downloaded Happy Birthday Helen, Accidently Kelly Street (check out the Late Show's rip off, it's hilarious, I'll upload if anyone wants it) and Electric Blue, which kicks arse.

And I personally wouldn't name Frente as a great Australian band. they were one-hit wonders really.

Ah OK, thought the name was a bit out of place for U2's Lovetown tour.. So who was it who was playing support for them, out of interest?

And yeah fair call on Frente. If we're talking iconic Aussie artists, I'd only consider a very small number of those mentioned to be in that category and Frente wouldn't be one of them. One hit wonders isn't too far off the mark but I'd hope you wouldn't say that Accidentally Kelly Street is that one hit, it's very cringe-worthy I reckon. :p Ordinary Angels was nice, and they did a neat cover of Bizarre Love Triangle.

Hey if you're looking for more of the best of Icehouse, try songs like Dusty Pages, No Promises (see earlier link to video), Hey Little Girl, Great Southern Land, Man Of Colours, Paradise, and lots of other songs that probably sound a bit dated to everyone else except for me who's heard them too many times. :)

Nah close though, B.A.D. (and someone else) opened on the Zoo TV tour in Aus. Everyone was fairly subdued until B.A.D. kicked into Rush.. :)

Zihua said:
Ah OK, thought the name was a bit out of place for U2's Lovetown tour.. So who was it who was playing support for them, out of interest?

And yeah fair call on Frente. If we're talking iconic Aussie artists, I'd only consider a very small number of those mentioned to be in that category and Frente wouldn't be one of them. One hit wonders isn't too far off the mark but I'd hope you wouldn't say that Accidentally Kelly Street is that one hit, it's very cringe-worthy I reckon. :p Ordinary Angels was nice, and they did a neat cover of Bizarre Love Triangle.

Hey if you're looking for more of the best of Icehouse, try songs like Dusty Pages, No Promises (see earlier link to video), Hey Little Girl, Great Southern Land, Man Of Colours, Paradise, and lots of other songs that probably sound a bit dated to everyone else except for me who's heard them too many times. :)

Cool, thanks! :wave:

one4u2 said:
The original INXS :heart:

Spot on brutha :bow: (Or sista)

They were incredible back in the day. Remember it was INXS, U2 and Guns 'n' Roses all at their peak? :love:

Nowadays they kinda suck. If they wanted to go on they should not have called themselves INXS again.

bono_man2002 said:
Off the top of my head I would be half guessing it was Big Audio Dynamite that opened for U2 on the aussie leg of lovetown?...
I can only hope you lot are joking! Otherwise Axver might just come round and :madwife: the lot of ya!

:youth of today: :tsk:

Was it not 'Weddings, Parties, Anything' that opened for U2 on the Lovetown Tour here in Oz?? I'm pretty sure I remember correctly ...

and Kim Salmon & the Surrealists for the Zoo TV Tour

:yes:

intedomine said:
Late show rip off of Happy Birthday Helen is classic too....the Melbourne cliches one.

Yes! You've seen it! :rockon:

Seriously, how good was that show? Did you ever see Rob Sitch's imitations of John Hewson, Jeff Kennet, Gareth Brown, F.W. De Clerk, Big Kev, Imran Kahn or Yassar Arafat? They're hilarious!

Classic show, made even funnier by the fact that it was from the early 90's.

Chaser is the closest thing to it nowadays, but even that doesn't compare.

Martin and Molloy's treks around the Melbourne streets just bagging people are priceless.

:lmao:

That was comedy at its best. I love the Chaser boys, but The Late Show was downright hilarious.

How about Santo and Rob's characters? The sports desk, and the two guys with the beer guts...

^ When he impersonated Imran Khan........"like a tiger":giggle:

Awsome band mentions but some that i think we should raise a glass to...and I think were/are definately "sounds of Australia"

Icehouse - Great Southern Land

GANGgajang - Sounds Of Then

Redgum - I was only 19

Men at Work - Land Down Under

drinkpals.gif

I left my heart to the sappers round Khe Sanh
And my soul was sold with my cigarettes to the blackmarket man
I've had the Vietnam cold turkey
From the ocean to the Silver City
And it's only other vets could understand

About the long forgotten dockside guarantees
How there were no V-dayheroes in 1973
How we sailed into Sydney Harbour
Saw an old friend but couldn't kiss her
She was lined, and I was home to the lucky land

And she was like so many more from that time on
Their lives were all so empty, till they found their chosen one
And their legs were often open
But their minds were always closed
And their hearts were held in fast suburban chains
And the legal pads were yellow, hours long, paypacket lean
And the telex writers clattered where the gunships once had been
But the car parks made me jumpy
And I never stopped the dreams
Or the growing need for speed and novacaine

So I worked across the country end to end
Tried to find a place to settle down, where my mixed up life could mend
Held a job on an oil-rig
Flying choppers when I could
But the nightlife nearly drove me round the bend

And I've travelled round the world from year to year
And each one found me aimless, one more year the more for wear
And I've been back to South East Asia
But the answer sure ain't there
But I'm drifting north, to check things out again

You know the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
Only seven flying hours, and I'll be landing in Hong Kong
There ain't nothing like the kisses
From a jaded Chinese princess
I'm gonna hit some Hong Kong mattress all night long

Well the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
Yeah the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
And it's really got me worried
I'm goin' nowhere and I'm in a hurry
And the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone

Khe Sanh has been overplayed oversung and is now just a cliche, and it's more about Sydney than Melbourne, so it's irrelevant to me on a personal level....Shipping Steel was better.

Earnie Shavers said:
No love for anything post, I dunno, 1990?

Most of my are after 1990 -- and the bands/musicians I most like that started before then had or still have careers which continue (or continued) past then. Many of mine might not be hugely well known, but apart from the Go-Betweens/Grant McLennan (and they/he has an excuse because he's dead) all are still creating music. I think now is pretty post 1990.

i'd just like to mention augie march - there is no such place.
one of the best songs ever recorded, let alone best australian..

There hasn't been any real decent Australian music since then I'm afraid, apart from a few recent rockers over the past few years, and throw in Silverchair and Powderfinger.

Augie March is supporting Crowded House!

Are the Go Betweens Australian??? :drool: :combust: I loved walking out of my first U2 show to Streets of Your Town! Any other songs to recommend?

Back
Top Bottom