Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep meaning to listen to Waax, because they're headlining a gig here in Wollongong with Moaning Lisa and Totty (both good bands) on the bill.

Middle Kids are good enough that I've enjoyed seeing them as a support band a couple of times, and occasionally spin some of their tunes, but that's about it. I'd probably head along if they headlined the Gong, to support the scene and keep bands coming here.

That's cool. And yes, Moaning Lisa are pretty great, indeed:up:

Wish You Well by Bernard Fanning is the blandest song I can remember
damnit i'd forgotten that song and now it's stuck in my head again. i hate that song.

INXS had a few good songs but never really got into them. U2 are just INXS copycats but did that sound better.
no

How the hell you could only know Beds Are Burning and not Power and the Passion, Blue Sky Mine, Forgotten Years, The Dead Heart - sound of my childhood, right there.
even i know those songs, and knew of them before i lived in nz so it wasn't a case of "well sure NOW you know aussie/kiwi music"

Most Kiwi band are rubbish. Haven’t gotten into any outside of Split Enz/CH
no

After Alex the Astronaut opened four Neil and Liam Finn gigs, I have no desire to hear her perform a note for a good while.

I don't know how she's got so big so fast. Her lyrics are overly direct, poorly written, and she often crams too many syllables into each line. That song about I Believe in Music is an ideal example, it sounds like what somebody would write aged 14 before they started a band.

She might write something good one day; there was one tune in her set, William and Georgia, that was especially promising. But oh man you could tell how weak her songwriting was when she'd start playing a cover of Paul Kelly's To Her Door as a gag introduction to one of her songs that has the same chords. Kelly, for one thing, has a sense of rhythm.

I don't even really mean to shit on her, I was kinda curious to see her play the first time and she seems big-hearted and sincere and generous, and at the one show of the four in a small theatre she was positively charming. But yeah, those sets (and listening to her EP a couple of times last year) have been well enough to do me.

I am suing her for plagiarism right now. Check out the gossip pages for all the court action!

I was going to put this in Random Music but thought this thread could use a bump. I listened to Alex Cameron's Miami Memory the other day and thought it was a riot. Hard to find something as alternately sincere and obscene as this record. Is he well known in Australia?

Back
Top Bottom