Atoms for Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
A thread for the band Atoms for Peace.

Atoms for Peace is a band made up of Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist and sometime trumpeter (trumpeteer?) Flea, Beck drummer Joey Waronker, Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich and Brazilian percussionist Mauro Refosco.

First formed to play songs from Thom Yorke's solo album The Eraser in the live arena, their debut album Amok is released on Feb 25.

The tracklist is as follows:

Before Your Very Eyes
Ingenue
Dropped
Unless
Stuck Together Pieces
Judge Jury and Executioner (why are there no commas wtf)
Reverse Running
Amok

This is the cover

129-626x626.jpg

The lead single was Default, and it is a very great song

Atoms For Peace - Default - YouTube

Its b-side, not appearing on the album, was What the Eyeballs Did

Atoms For Peace - What The Eyeballs Did - YouTube

Album track Judge Jury and Executioner appeared the other day

Atoms For Peace - Judge Jury and Executioner - YouTube

HYPE.

It was. I was tempted to post the Wikipedia entry but I thought it might put off non randomers and usually it's only done when someone asks "what is...?"

I'm about a thousand times more excited for a potential tour than I am the album. I'm sure the album will be fine, but seeing Flea and Thom Yorke on the same stage would be a really weird spicy-food-before-bed dream come true.

Hit the nail on the head. That would blow my fucking mind. Thom Yorke and Flea.

Not they'd come here though. But surely they'll do the big festival rounds.

Am I the only person who thinks it's kinda lame Flea is in the group?

Guess I can't help but see him as the cheesiest guy from a cheesy band.

Hardly anyone here used to like Red Hot Chili Peppers, I remember they were one of the most universally disliked groups in Bang and Clatter just a few years ago. I felt like I was far more apologetic of them than most everyone else was. What happened?

u2popmofo said:

Hardly anyone here used to like Red Hot Chili Peppers, I remember they were one of the most universally disliked groups in Bang and Clatter just a few years ago. I felt like I was far more apologetic of them than most everyone else was. What happened?

I think RHCP are pretty atrocious, if that makes you feel any better.

I really don't like RHCP either but Yorke+Flea is a good duo judging from the live clips I've seen.

Now Flea can use his talent in actual good songs. :wink:

Maybe Thom put together a band that included people he likes to hang out with and could go on the road with. Flea always seemed like a soulful guy to me, regardless of RHCP's cheesiness (I always thought they were fun, but I also understand why people hate them).

I think RHCP are pretty atrocious, if that makes you feel any better.

I concur. I find them insufferably boring.

I liked their 80's stuff as fun music and BSSM was also a fun album, but once One Hot Minute came around, that was it. I just find them so incredibly boring and saccharine ever since that album.

Flea is hugely talented regardless of what you think of the RHCP.

I will agree he is talented, but I don't think everyone (and by "everyone", I mean everyone I've talked to about it) would be making such a fuss over Atoms For Peace's basslines if FLEA! weren't the one playing them. I think the hype of his name is lending much more weight to the "awesomeness" of the basslines, than the actual basslines deserve.

Oh, without a doubt. And they haven't been all that spectacular anyway. But I've always loved most of the Chili's work and I'm super duper excited to be following a band with the wacky dude from that band (who does a lot of extracurricular stuff that isn't so cringe-worthy) and Thom Yorke, the frontman from one of my favourite bands ever.

So you guys do realize that "punishing bassline" is a meme/quote from that highly aroused chick who premiered What The Eyeballs Did on XFM radio?

I did not realize that.

Do you realize we're floating in space?

Is it bad that I can't discern flea's contribution and that the tracks I've heard sound just like Radiohead?

B-side Radiohead at that. By no means bad, not at all, and I rather enjoy Default in particular. The Eraser was better.

Default is amazing. I loved it from the moment I heard it. No so sure about the other two tracks. Eyeballs is, IMO, rightfully a B-side. Judge is good, great rythm, but not really great. Still, can't wait for the album. And yes, I'd prefer a Radiohead tour again as well, though I'd probably go if Thom, Flea and Co. went on tour. It's almost impossible anyway that they'd be showing up in my corner of the world :(

Back
Top Bottom