Ask yourself... Can you dance to my beat? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Ask yourself... Can you dance to my beat?

For all your beats needs.

Electro, house, techno, trance, ambient, downtempo, dance-punk, deep house, glitch hop, dubstep, whatever. It don't make a difference in Our House.

This thread is for the posting, discussion and appreciation of quality dance music. Try to refrain from hip-hop and R&B, we've got threads for that. As a broad genre it has very slowly become just about my favourite type of music lately, and I'd really like to generate more talk about it.

Yes we had a dance music thread, but it was a bit of wasteland, had some crap songs in it, and it had a horrible, horrible title. Time for a new one.

Disclaimer: Dubstep's awful US sibling, popularised by the likes of Skrillex and Nero, is not welcome. Neither is anything generic that can be found littering the charts. Post that shit elsewhere.

I'll post three quality chewns to kick us off.

The first is a tune I heard at Rainbow Serpent, a four-day long EDM music festival, earlier this year. The title is taken from a lyric in the song.

Homework - Ask Yourself (Audiojacks Chemical Rewind) | Exploited - YouTube

The second is my favourite dance tune of the year, which is a big honour in a year full to the brim with ridiculously good dance music tunes. It's by DFA's The Juan Maclean and features Nancy Whang, from LCD Soundsystem.

The Juan Maclean - You Are My Destiny - YouTube

The third is a tune I'm ashamed to say I discovered only earlier this year. Deep house from 1986. Like Ask Yourself, I love the lyrics. Sure, dance music isn't exactly a wealth for good lyricism, but that's not what I look to it for. But I genuinely love these lyrics. When you start getting into more good dance music, start going to the good nightclubs and festivals and raves with the good, positive vibes, they speak to you.

Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It - YouTube

Please, post, share, listen, comment, appreciate.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 PM
I'm a little shocked that James Murphy wasn't mentioned in your inaugural post.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #3

Haha. I think my thoughts on just about anything James Murphy are well known. Had to branch out a bit. There's "dance-punk" and the DFA in my opening post though.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The third is a tune I'm ashamed to say I discovered only earlier this year. Deep house from 1986. Like Ask Yourself, I love the lyrics. Sure, dance music isn't exactly a wealth for good lyricism, but that's not what I look to it for. But I genuinely love these lyrics. When you start getting into more good dance music, start going to the good nightclubs and festivals and raves with the good, positive vibes, they speak to you.

Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It - YouTube
Young man, you are headed down a very good path here. I posted quite a few of my favorite classic house tracks in that old thread, but here's two that are absolute perennials...you mentioned uplifting lyrics and these are really nice.

I have most of the 86-late 90s deep/Chicago house era on vinyl still. It's truly one of my favorite genres of music. I'll never forget the first time I heard this song.

Ce Ce Rogers - Someday (Club Mix) - YouTube

Lyrics..piano..flute..you name it..this is the shit.

Which of course eventually brings us to the promised land..

Joe Smooth - Promised Land - YouTube

PS...You posted Can You Feel It...put on your headphones and get lost in this alternate mix:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Sure, the other thread's title was bad (I had to break down and finally read it after seeing it for ages to figure out what the hell a tiesto perma ban even meant). But you're not exactly the king of well-titled threads either, my friend.

As for electronic music, there's very little I've ever heard and liked, although I have a feeling that if I were directed toward the right minimalist ambient stuff, I could be persuaded otherwise. Aphex Twin's Xtal is awesome. But generally, I avoid anything with beats. I can't dance, nor do I want to learn how.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Ghost of Love

Great thread..kindof sent me on a path here down memory lane a bit..will try not to clog the thread anymore but these are essentials imo:

Robert Owens - Bring Down The Walls [HD] - YouTube

One of the very first house songs in history, coming up next..this version wasn't the first, but it's demo was 84 if I recall correctly, and became this:

Fingers Inc - Mystery Of Love - YouTube

and finally (for now lol)

Fingers Inc So Glad (Club Mix) - YouTube

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 PM
You've just given me an excuse for cramming this thread with Underworld.

Underworld - Jumbo - YouTube

Underworld - Two Months Off - YouTube

Underworld - Cowgirl (Video) - YouTube

I know what I'm listening to tonight.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #8

Will get to gvox's second post and vlad's tomorrow at work... needless to say I definitely need to check out more Underworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Sure, the other thread's title was bad (I had to break down and finally read it after seeing it for ages to figure out what the hell a tiesto perma ban even meant). But you're not exactly the king of well-titled threads either, my friend.

As for electronic music, there's very little I've ever heard and liked, although I have a feeling that if I were directed toward the right minimalist ambient stuff, I could be persuaded otherwise. Aphex Twin's Xtal is awesome. But generally, I avoid anything with beats. I can't dance, nor do I want to learn how.
I'm not, but I reckon this title is kinda cool. Better than the previous one at least.

If you like Xtal you should definitely check out the album it's from, Selected Ambient Works 85-92, much of the rest of that album is pretty dreamy ambient electro.

Possibly my favourite Aphex Twin track (and sadly Skrillex's favourite song)

Aphex Twin - Flim - YouTube

Quote:
Young man, you are headed down a very good path here. I posted quite a few of my favorite classic house tracks in that old thread, but here's two that are absolute perennials...you mentioned uplifting lyrics and these are really nice.

I have most of the 86-late 90s deep/Chicago house era on vinyl still. It's truly one of my favorite genres of music. I'll never forget the first time I heard this song.

Ce Ce Rogers - Someday (Club Mix) - YouTube

Lyrics..piano..flute..you name it..this is the shit.

Which of course eventually brings us to the promised land..

Joe Smooth - Promised Land - YouTube

PS...You posted Can You Feel It...put on your headphones and get lost in this alternate mix:

Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It (Martin Luther King Mix) - YouTube
Wasn't a big fan of either of those first two... that MLK remix of Can You Feel It is pretty damn cool though.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:

If you like Xtal you should definitely check out the album it's from, Selected Ambient Works 85-92, much of the rest of that album is pretty dreamy ambient electro.

Possibly my favourite Aphex Twin track (and sadly Skrillex's favourite song)

Aphex Twin - Flim - YouTube.

Yeah, I have the album, and do enjoy most of it, but usually either fall asleep or grow bored before it ends (same with the Richard D James album).

I don't know quite what a skrillex is, other than you've expressed your hatred of it on numerous occasions. But since I've always seen it and dubstep in the same sentence, I stay away.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Glad you started this thread. My music tastes have heavily shifted towards this genre in the last couple years.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Ghost of Love

Quote:

Wasn't a big fan of either of those first two... that MLK remix of Can You Feel It is pretty damn cool though.
Interesting. Can you pinpoint maybe what it was that you didn't like? Not going to argue with ya, just want to get a feel for what else to recommend.

Maybe listen to the next set and tell me if it's more up your alley. I'm thinking that maybe those first two were a bit more mainstream soul influenced - not that you don't necessarily dislike mainstream soul - but maybe your looking for something deeper more instrumental..lemme know, I'm curious.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #12

Two Months Off was my favourite of the Underworld tunes. I always thought they got an outside singer for Born Slippy, but it's the same dude on Two Months Off yeah? (you bring light in / you bring light in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Yeah, I have the album, and do enjoy most of it, but usually either fall asleep or grow bored before it ends (same with the Richard D James album).

I don't know quite what a skrillex is, other than you've expressed your hatred of it on numerous occasions. But since I've always seen it and dubstep in the same sentence, I stay away.
Fair enough. Whenever I play Selected Ambient Works it's usually if I'm driving or sleepy, because it's just really chill beats. I remember playing it one morning on the train home at 730 after getting no sleep the night before. It was perfect.

Proper dubstep is good.

James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Glad you started this thread. My music tastes have heavily shifted towards this genre in the last couple years.
The song that probably kick-started it for me is this one. Definitely give it a spin.

Julio Bashmore - Au Seve - YouTube

Quote:
Interesting. Can you pinpoint maybe what it was that you didn't like? Not going to argue with ya, just want to get a feel for what else to recommend.

Maybe listen to the next set and tell me if it's more up your alley. I'm thinking that maybe those first two were a bit more mainstream soul influenced - not that you don't necessarily dislike mainstream soul - but maybe your looking for something deeper more instrumental..lemme know, I'm curious.
Bring Down The Walls is more what I'm into. None of the other tracks were bad, don't get me wrong, but they just felt more poppy, a bit more mainstream, I'm looking for more subversive, deeper tracks.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #13

Anyone else heard/like/into glitch hop? I heard it at Rainbow Serpent and it fucking blew my mind.

Yes, the acid I was on at the time probably enhanced it, but it's pretty cool electro music.

Mr. Bill - Cheyah - YouTube

Here's a funny/fucked up clip from the festival too, by the way.

Rainbow Serpent Festival 2011 - German Sparkle Party - YouTube
Old 11-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Two Months Off was my favourite of the Underworld tunes. I always thought they got an outside singer for Born Slippy, but it's the same dude on Two Months Off yeah? (you bring light in / you bring light in)
Karl Hyde is the group's vocalist, yeah. He sings/talks on just about every Underworld track. Naturally, he is also the lyricist.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Bring Down The Walls is more what I'm into. None of the other tracks were bad, don't get me wrong, but they just felt more poppy, a bit more mainstream, I'm looking for more subversive, deeper tracks.
Excellent. Lots of that to go around!

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Tags
beats, good vibes, tunes