Ask yourself... Can you dance to my beat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm much, much happier dancing around and singing and looking like a complete idiot then standing there wishing I was enjoying it more :)

Speaking of UK dubstep, this is one of my favorite tunes of the year.

Machinedrum - 'Gunshotta' (Official Video) - YouTube

This is also pretty good, mainly because of the catchy vocals.

Moderat "Bad Kingdom" - YouTube

I've been listening to a lot of electronic music lately, but it's mostly the non-danceable variants.

Will do some listening to the other things posted later.

Oh man, that Moderat song is great... care to tell me a bit more about them?

The Machinedrum tune was good too... the beat reminded me of this song, when it really gets going

DJ Shadow - Stem / Long Stem / Transmission 2 - YouTube

Feel free to post other electronic music you've been listening to, the non-danceable variants are most welcome here. Tim Hecker too, his new album is great. I really enjoy the Darkside record too.

Yeah I've heard of Modeskeletor. Good track. Damn that Bad Kingdom song is so, so good

I've got tickets to see Bonobo in January. Hella excited for that.

Moderat released their second album, II, this year. It's good. Bad Kingdom is easily the best track as far as I'm concerned.

Hahaha man check out the Pitchfork review.

Luckily the album’s weakest moment comes early on, and is therefore quickly dealt with. “Bad Kingdom”, II’s first song after a brief intro, has a wicked instrumental bed with a sparse breakbeat drum part and growling sawtooth synths-- if it had been released a few months earlier, Kanye might have sampled it on Yeezus somewhere. But it’s topped by a vocal that’s afflicted with the kind of generic Euro-soul inflection that American ears have a hard time dealing with, and the juxtaposition between the aggressive synths and airy pop vocals weakens the former rather than creating an interesting contrast.

What rubbish. I've listened to it about 20 times in the past two days. Streaming II on Grooveshark now, so if Bad Kingdom is the worst moment this going to be my favourite album of all time :lol:

Who sings on that by the way? Apparat? Modeskeletor? Or an outsider?

Yeah, Bad Kingdom's definitely the best track. Cheers for the rec though Niels.

I've heard those other two mofo, but I didn't really like that VNV Nation track.

Ok cobbler...going thru your tracks. Here are my standouts:

Homework - Ask Yourself - unnnnnhhhhhh...I forgot the name of this when I first saw your post. So glad I went back. Like I said, you're on a great path here.

Juan Maclean - yes. Definitely.

Julio Bashmore - Au Seve - this is a banger. Great stuff.

Further..

Glitch Hop huh? Can't say I find it overly danceable, but it was interesting to check out.

Ahhh Lady Operator. Everything makes a comeback. Another good one.

I have to admit...Dubstep is a pretty sore point with me. I just don't get how I'm supposed to dance to it. Never really liked Jungle in it's heyday, either..except the earliest Capelton junglist remixes. Crazy stuff.

I do like that Moderat tune Bad Kingdom alot though.

Ask Yourself is fucking addictive man. If my lastfm still worked it'd be high up on the list in the past six months.

Stoked you liked Au Seve, he's releasing his debut album early next year, I cannot wait for it.

Glitch hop ain't for everyone, but I think it's pretty cool.

Lady Operator has the best robot vocals outside of Discovery or Homework.

Dubstep... I'm not really across it that much, just James Blake, but aside from Voyeur, you can't really dance to his tunes. Just good chilled beats, good for headnodding.

Listen to this... easily one of the tracks of the year. The tone change at about 1:01 when it goes darker is fucking sick, then you've got the cowbell at 1:18, and then the deep bass drop at 3:18 just when you think it's over. It's a masterfully crafted track.

James Blake // Voyeur - YouTube

So I was gonna go dirty..but let's get lit first. Speaking of aciiid

Maurice - This Is Acid (A New Dance Craze) (S&T Mix) - YouTube

A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray - YouTube

Tyree -Acid Over ( House Sound of Chicago Vol III) CLASSIC - YouTube

If you like piano in your acid house, check out the alternate to the original (actually maybe you'll like it even more, on any given day I'll play this over the original):

But don't get carried away...

Phuture - Your Only Friend - YouTube

Cobbler here's a piece of my dance history for ya lol

This was the club (amongst a couple others) that I cut my teeth on and really got enraptured by this music:

Toronto's Legendary Twilight Zone Club - YouTube

I'm pretty sure I'm there that night, although I can't see myself in the video. I distinctly remember seeing Frankie Knuckles there and I didn't start going there until 88 so..I remember seeing this on Much later.

If you look carefully you'll see Knuckles actually using a reel-to-reel tape machine as part of his set. Insane.

The sound system at the Zone was killer. Probably contributed to deafness.

At the end of the video, the guy in the pink shirt is one of the three Assoon brothers, who founded the place and are the godfathers of the house music scene in Toronto. They brought in all the heavyweights and introduced the city to so much music it's not even funny. They still throw a Twilight Zone Reunion party even Canadian Thanksgiving Sunday and you can bet I'm always there ;) The last 3 years the acts were: Byron Stingly (Ten City), Adeva, and Robert Owens. Owens was my favorite.

eta: huh, that's weird. This video plays at a much lower max volume when embedded here than it does if I play it on my browser outside Interference.

Oh wow. You went there. Virgo and Resurrection are essential compilations that I can't possibly recommend enough.

You should also check out the original group Virgo, especially Free Yourself. Virgo Four got named by Larry Sherman I think it was because he called them a continuation of the group that Marshall Jefferson and Adonis were involved in, and their sound at first was quite derivative of that (as was everyone elses lol). They kindof lived under that shadow in terms of more mainstream house popularity but were definitely well loved in the underground.

Chicago House is one of those scenes that I've always been certain I'd obsessively love, but have never really explored.

Jon Hopkins was FUCKINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG SICK tonight. Played a heavy, filthy set. One of the best electro gigs I've ever been to.

Two DJs opened for him, the first dude dropped Atoms for Peace's Amok and then the second dude played Bonobo's Cirrus right before Jon Hopkins came on, which was fucking awesome. One of the tracks of the year for me.

I only have the one Jon Hopkins album, but he definitely played We Disappear, Open Eye Signal, Breathe This Air, Collider (possibly the highlight), but I think that was it. Played about 50 minutes to an hour.

One thing I was very surprised to find out... Coldplay's Life in Technicolour/The Escapist heavily samples Jon Hopkins' track Light Through the Veins. (He produced and played on Viva La Vida... I didn't know who he was at the time so I guess I ignored it!) He played it tonight, and it was just pure fucking joy.

Jon Hopkins - Light Through The Veins (Full 9 Minute HQ Version) - YouTube

Thanks. Very cool song. I'm also a big fan of Immunity. Still need to browse this thread for some good tunes. I've been enjoying house music more and more as of late.

Stoked you enjoy that man, I've played it hundreds of times in the past year. And totally get you - deep house and it's similar styles are pretty much the only party music I enjoy.

There's a few bars here in Melb that play that music.

Also... the festival I go to that has been dubbed 'Donko' plays all kinds of great electronic music non-stop for four days. Not sure what your monetary situation is like, nor do I know your thoughts on travel etc, but the festival attracts a massive amount of foreigners every year. Highly unlikely I know but you'd be welcome to stay with us this year or in coming years. I met a dude from Belgium last year, he was hilarious... cut all his fruit with a fucking massive hunting knife, and dislocated his shoulder when we went to a 'cosmic speed dating' workshop and he took the words "pick someone up" literally.

Back
Top Bottom