Ask yourself... Can you dance to my beat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
For all your beats needs.

Electro, house, techno, trance, ambient, downtempo, dance-punk, deep house, glitch hop, dubstep, whatever. It don't make a difference in Our House.

This thread is for the posting, discussion and appreciation of quality dance music. Try to refrain from hip-hop and R&B, we've got threads for that. As a broad genre it has very slowly become just about my favourite type of music lately, and I'd really like to generate more talk about it.

Yes we had a dance music thread, but it was a bit of wasteland, had some crap songs in it, and it had a horrible, horrible title. Time for a new one.

Disclaimer: Dubstep's awful US sibling, popularised by the likes of Skrillex and Nero, is not welcome. Neither is anything generic that can be found littering the charts. Post that shit elsewhere.

I'll post three quality chewns to kick us off.

The first is a tune I heard at Rainbow Serpent, a four-day long EDM music festival, earlier this year. The title is taken from a lyric in the song.

Homework - Ask Yourself (Audiojacks Chemical Rewind) | Exploited - YouTube

The second is my favourite dance tune of the year, which is a big honour in a year full to the brim with ridiculously good dance music tunes. It's by DFA's The Juan Maclean and features Nancy Whang, from LCD Soundsystem.

The Juan Maclean - You Are My Destiny - YouTube

The third is a tune I'm ashamed to say I discovered only earlier this year. Deep house from 1986. Like Ask Yourself, I love the lyrics. Sure, dance music isn't exactly a wealth for good lyricism, but that's not what I look to it for. But I genuinely love these lyrics. When you start getting into more good dance music, start going to the good nightclubs and festivals and raves with the good, positive vibes, they speak to you.

Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It - YouTube

Please, post, share, listen, comment, appreciate. :heart:

Haha. I think my thoughts on just about anything James Murphy are well known. Had to branch out a bit. There's "dance-punk" and the DFA in my opening post though.

The third is a tune I'm ashamed to say I discovered only earlier this year. Deep house from 1986. Like Ask Yourself, I love the lyrics. Sure, dance music isn't exactly a wealth for good lyricism, but that's not what I look to it for. But I genuinely love these lyrics. When you start getting into more good dance music, start going to the good nightclubs and festivals and raves with the good, positive vibes, they speak to you.

Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It - YouTube

Young man, you are headed down a very good path here. I posted quite a few of my favorite classic house tracks in that old thread, but here's two that are absolute perennials...you mentioned uplifting lyrics and these are really nice.

I have most of the 86-late 90s deep/Chicago house era on vinyl still. It's truly one of my favorite genres of music. I'll never forget the first time I heard this song.

Ce Ce Rogers - Someday (Club Mix) - YouTube

Lyrics..piano..flute..you name it..this is the shit.

Which of course eventually brings us to the promised land..

Joe Smooth - Promised Land - YouTube

PS...You posted Can You Feel It...put on your headphones and get lost in this alternate mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Eg3Cb5BC8

Sure, the other thread's title was bad (I had to break down and finally read it after seeing it for ages to figure out what the hell a tiesto perma ban even meant). But you're not exactly the king of well-titled threads either, my friend.

As for electronic music, there's very little I've ever heard and liked, although I have a feeling that if I were directed toward the right minimalist ambient stuff, I could be persuaded otherwise. Aphex Twin's Xtal is awesome. But generally, I avoid anything with beats. I can't dance, nor do I want to learn how.

Will get to gvox's second post and vlad's tomorrow at work... needless to say I definitely need to check out more Underworld.

Sure, the other thread's title was bad (I had to break down and finally read it after seeing it for ages to figure out what the hell a tiesto perma ban even meant). But you're not exactly the king of well-titled threads either, my friend.

As for electronic music, there's very little I've ever heard and liked, although I have a feeling that if I were directed toward the right minimalist ambient stuff, I could be persuaded otherwise. Aphex Twin's Xtal is awesome. But generally, I avoid anything with beats. I can't dance, nor do I want to learn how.

I'm not, but I reckon this title is kinda cool. Better than the previous one at least.

If you like Xtal you should definitely check out the album it's from, Selected Ambient Works 85-92, much of the rest of that album is pretty dreamy ambient electro.

Possibly my favourite Aphex Twin track (and sadly Skrillex's favourite song)

Aphex Twin - Flim - YouTube

Young man, you are headed down a very good path here. I posted quite a few of my favorite classic house tracks in that old thread, but here's two that are absolute perennials...you mentioned uplifting lyrics and these are really nice.

I have most of the 86-late 90s deep/Chicago house era on vinyl still. It's truly one of my favorite genres of music. I'll never forget the first time I heard this song.

Ce Ce Rogers - Someday (Club Mix) - YouTube

Lyrics..piano..flute..you name it..this is the shit.

Which of course eventually brings us to the promised land..

Joe Smooth - Promised Land - YouTube

PS...You posted Can You Feel It...put on your headphones and get lost in this alternate mix:

Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It (Martin Luther King Mix) - YouTube

Wasn't a big fan of either of those first two... that MLK remix of Can You Feel It is pretty damn cool though.

If you like Xtal you should definitely check out the album it's from, Selected Ambient Works 85-92, much of the rest of that album is pretty dreamy ambient electro.

Possibly my favourite Aphex Twin track (and sadly Skrillex's favourite song)

Aphex Twin - Flim - YouTube.

Yeah, I have the album, and do enjoy most of it, but usually either fall asleep or grow bored before it ends (same with the Richard D James album).

I don't know quite what a skrillex is, other than you've expressed your hatred of it on numerous occasions. But since I've always seen it and dubstep in the same sentence, I stay away.

Glad you started this thread. My music tastes have heavily shifted towards this genre in the last couple years.

Wasn't a big fan of either of those first two... that MLK remix of Can You Feel It is pretty damn cool though.

Interesting. Can you pinpoint maybe what it was that you didn't like? Not going to argue with ya, just want to get a feel for what else to recommend.

Maybe listen to the next set and tell me if it's more up your alley. I'm thinking that maybe those first two were a bit more mainstream soul influenced - not that you don't necessarily dislike mainstream soul - but maybe your looking for something deeper more instrumental..lemme know, I'm curious.

Two Months Off was my favourite of the Underworld tunes. I always thought they got an outside singer for Born Slippy, but it's the same dude on Two Months Off yeah? (you bring light in / you bring light in)

Yeah, I have the album, and do enjoy most of it, but usually either fall asleep or grow bored before it ends (same with the Richard D James album).

I don't know quite what a skrillex is, other than you've expressed your hatred of it on numerous occasions. But since I've always seen it and dubstep in the same sentence, I stay away.

Fair enough. Whenever I play Selected Ambient Works it's usually if I'm driving or sleepy, because it's just really chill beats. I remember playing it one morning on the train home at 730 after getting no sleep the night before. It was perfect.

Proper dubstep is good.

James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream - YouTube

Glad you started this thread. My music tastes have heavily shifted towards this genre in the last couple years.

The song that probably kick-started it for me is this one. Definitely give it a spin.

Julio Bashmore - Au Seve - YouTube

Interesting. Can you pinpoint maybe what it was that you didn't like? Not going to argue with ya, just want to get a feel for what else to recommend.

Maybe listen to the next set and tell me if it's more up your alley. I'm thinking that maybe those first two were a bit more mainstream soul influenced - not that you don't necessarily dislike mainstream soul - but maybe your looking for something deeper more instrumental..lemme know, I'm curious.

Bring Down The Walls is more what I'm into. None of the other tracks were bad, don't get me wrong, but they just felt more poppy, a bit more mainstream, I'm looking for more subversive, deeper tracks.

Two Months Off was my favourite of the Underworld tunes. I always thought they got an outside singer for Born Slippy, but it's the same dude on Two Months Off yeah? (you bring light in / you bring light in)

Karl Hyde is the group's vocalist, yeah. He sings/talks on just about every Underworld track. Naturally, he is also the lyricist.

Whoever said the 80s wasn't amazing for music wasn't a house fan ;)

Here's a couple I can get lost in for awhile..speaking of deep...I seriously hope you either have good headphones or a bangin system

A note about some of these tracks..if they seem a bit downtempo, you have to remember that this would not typically be the speed the DJ would play them at at a club..they'd typically be sped up a bit by a couple bpm. I'll try to make sure I don't share any that are really blatantly slow, but if you have the ability to (I guess you might have to obtain a copy of the song rather than just by using Youtube)..have some fun with it and speed them up slightly. For home listening I'm fine with the speed they are but it might be hard to picture just how heavy these tracks were on the dance floor...but they really moved the crowd..

E.S.P - Its You - YouTube

Marshall Jefferson Presents Truth - Open Your Eyes (Celestial Mix) - YouTube

808 State - Pacific State - YouTube

Remember those wave form visualization thingys for Windows? Useful for experience enhancement should you so choose :wink:

So far I've been mostly uplifting/spiritual/chill....next time: music to get your mojo back :mac:

My DI list that I was going to enter sort of worked its way from deep house to downtempo to FlyLo beats to hip-hop to indie rock to upbeat rock and back to dance but I couldn't quite get it the way I wanted. I hope to use it some day.

Oh man, that Pacific State song is so fucking good. I see their first album Newbuild is quite critically acclaimed... might have to go buy it. LM's probably talked about it before. The other two are saved by the deep, wormy bass.

Now I've listened to all the tracks you posted, get listening to ones I posted! They're good people.

The differences between U.S. Dubstep and U.K. dubstap, lain out, would span the Grand Canyon. Simply put: They're nothing alike, besides the name.

Given I didn't like Kill For Love, I was stunned to fall for Chromatics after getting AD1 earlier this year. Still haven't heard AD2.

The differences between U.S. Dubstep and U.K. dubstap, lain out, would span the Grand Canyon. Simply put: They're nothing alike, besides the name.

:up: they are quite literally polar opposites.

I should have probably mentioned in the first post that I don't really dance, period.

I always feel so awkward at concerts whenever the urge to even sway a little bit comes over me. When Charli XCX played "I Love It" at the show of her's I saw this week, I started jumping, but only like half the crowd had joined me in jumping, so I stopped after like five seconds cause I got super self-conscious.

Part of the reason I had so much fun at the Cut Copy show I saw, because everyone was dancing and jumping. If you didn't join, you would've been crushed in the crowd.

I should have probably mentioned in the first post that I don't really dance, period.

I always feel so awkward at concerts whenever the urge to even sway a little bit comes over me. When Charli XCX played "I Love It" at the show of her's I saw this week, I started jumping, but only like half the crowd had joined me in jumping, so I stopped after like five seconds cause I got super self-conscious.

Part of the reason I had so much fun at the Cut Copy show I saw, because everyone was dancing and jumping. If you didn't join, you would've been crushed in the crowd.

Risking derailment of the thread here, but...

The first concert I ever went to, I felt extremely self conscious singing along/dancing around, especially since I was surrounded by people who weren't doing the same. After that, I stopped caring, cos I wasn't having as much fun just standing around watching the band play. I've totally been that lone crazy person at the smaller punk rock show* who knows all the words to the random opening band's songs, tries to start up a circle pit, and i've always been particularly awkward about it. But I did feel validated in my weirdness when the singer from the dropkick murphys had me finish singing barroom hero at the umass spring concert several years ago (because the random drunk frat boy who they brought up on stage clearly looked like he'd never heard the song before). Or a couple other stories that sound silly or stupid when told, but made me feel appreciated as a fan. I'm sure I looked fairly idiotic jumping up and down during Betterman at the pearl jam show, but I'm long past caring about that sort of thing.

*no, I am not Moshzilla. Although I've seen almost equally creepy pictures of myself on sites, and cringed a little. And at least I had fun. :shrug:

But actually on topic, I didn't know there was such a thing as uk vs is dubstep, I just figured it was all oontzy electronic crap with shitty grating, screechy bass bullshit in between.

Back
Top Bottom