Artists that Gambled and Lost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kite, on the other hand....

Naw man, Kite is about sex. Don't you read this site? Sex will be relevant fo' evah!

The hardness... it sets in... you need some protection... the thinner the skin...

Are we talking about songs that date themselves instantly and embarrassingly, or merely about songs whose lyrics happen to reference things or places that don't exist or aren't ubiquitous anymore?

My intention was to focus on songs that reference something that was a blip on the radar of pop culture.

Rock Me Amadeus.

Like, what the fuck is a Mozart? Must have been some mid-80s flash in the pan who was only famous in Austria or something.

I didn't quite understand the implication of that post. Are you, also, a devout follower of the ways of "Heat of the Moment"?

My intention was to focus on songs that reference something that was a blip on the radar of pop culture.

Yeah. People aren't getting that.

Singing about the USSR or vinyl records aren't the same as singing about MCI or Jenna Jameson.

But let's play along with the misunderstanding.

"Jara sang, his song a weapon"

Gambled. Lost. Horrid.

ahh, i see. i wouldn't have considered mci a blip since they were around for decades, but that's probably more because we had that annoying "friends and family" thing they offered for a while.

If someone finds me a song that references Netscape navigator, I will be eternally amused.

There need to be more songs about the Chevy Chase Show.

I suppose if I'm not part of the solution I'm part of the problem.

Not an example of this, but Nas' new song Daughter goes

"This morning I got a call, nearly split my wig
This social network said “Nas go and get ya kid”
She on Twitter, I know she ain’t gon post no pic
Of herself underdressed, no inappropriate shit, right
Her mother cried when she answered
Said she don’t know what got inside this child’s mind, she planted
A box of condoms on her dresser then she Instagrammed it"

It's kind of awkward to listen to.

Von Schloopen said:
Yeah. People aren't getting that.

Singing about the USSR or vinyl records aren't the same as singing about MCI or Jenna Jameson.

But let's play along with the misunderstanding.

"Jara sang, his song a weapon"

Gambled. Lost. Horrid.

I've read this post four times and still don't understand it. It might as well be in Welsh.

Oh here we go. Say anything's "do better".

Life is not a spark in space, an episode of will and grace
Controversial yet mundane, Debra's messing with your brain

Again, playing this as the misunderstood.

Neil Young: Rocking In The Free World.

There's more than a few Willie Nelson songs where he sings about riding on a horse.

Who the fuck rides on a horse?

Gambled. Lost.

cobl04 said:
Not an example of this, but Nas' new song Daughter goes

"This morning I got a call, nearly split my wig
This social network said “Nas go and get ya kid”
She on Twitter, I know she ain’t gon post no pic
Of herself underdressed, no inappropriate shit, right
Her mother cried when she answered
Said she don’t know what got inside this child’s mind, she planted
A box of condoms on her dresser then she Instagrammed it"

It's kind of awkward to listen to.

I've read this post four times and still don't understand it. It might as well be in Welsh.

Nah, the words are too sort to be welsh. But I don't think it's in English, either.

Again, playing this as the misunderstood.

Neil Young: Rocking In The Free World.

There's more than a few Willie Nelson songs where he sings about riding on a horse.

Who the fuck rides on a horse?

Gambled. Lost.
are you saying the entire song references something that's a blip on the radar of pop culture? yeah, those department stores, man. where did they go!

speaking of neil young though, it did make me think of a line from this note's for you:
ain't singin' for spuds

spuds mackenzie was a blip, i'd say. people still sing for pepsi and coke, though.

are you saying the entire song references something that's a blip on the radar of pop culture?

Nah. I'm ragging on people who think this is:

A revolution everyday
USSR, GDR, London, New York, Peking
It's the puppets, it's the puppets
Who pull the strings

Like wow! WTF is the USSR? Is that like New Coke? Or Sega?

speaking of neil young though, it did make me think of a line from this note's for you:
ain't singin' for spuds

spuds mackenzie was a blip, i'd say. people still sing for pepsi and coke, though.

I think that fits perfectly with the original intent of the thread.

Whereas someone who listed "Ohio" as an example would be kinda off base. As would someone who listed "Rocking In The Free World." :wink:

And how about that Bobby Dylan eh, nobody sees God accosting them on Highway 61 anymore, they're too busy tweeting and listening to Lady Gaga.

For the record, what was my initial intent for the thread, does not have to be yours, I have enjoyed where this has gone immensely :)

Oh here we go. Say anything's "do better".

Life is not a spark in space, an episode of will and grace
Controversial yet mundane, Debra's messing with your brain

This, for the record, is fucking hilarious.

bono_212 said:
For the record, what was my initial intent for the thread, does not have to be yours, I have enjoyed where this has gone immensely :)

This, for the record, is fucking hilarious.

What was even funnier was that I was reading this thread when it came up on my ipod.

Back
Top Bottom