Aretha Franklin has cancer, but "doing better than expected after surgery"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
News - Aretha Franklin "Doing Better Than Expected" Amid Cancer Reports - Healthy Lifestyle - UsMagazine.com

Aretha Franklin is reportedly headed home. The ailing singer, 68, is "doing better than doctors expected" and will likely leave the Detroit-area hospital this weekend, her cousin Brenda Corbett told the Detroit Free Press Wednesday.

The R&B legend "has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer," Corbett added.

Last week, Franklin announced that she had undergone a surgical procedure -- but she and her reps declined to say what the illness was. Another relative told Detroit's Fox2 news that she is suffering from cancer; multiple sources have claimed that Franklin is battling incurable pancreatic cancer.

In early November, the Grammy-winning star cancelled all of her concert engagements through May 2011 citing "medical reasons."

My heart initially sank because I didn't see the bit about surgery before the cancer reports started circulating. For the time being, I'm trying to stay upbeat about it. Ugh, it's fucking Aretha...the queen can't die. :(

It sounds promising, I hope it's not all fluffy positiveness. You know what, I don't care if it is, I'll live in denial if it means I don't have to think about Aretha passing :(.

Edit: Oh yeah, and fuck cancer.

yeah.. GFY Cancer.. And if it is pancreatic she isn't going to survive it, a death sentence.. ugh.. :sad:

I especially loved her in The Blues Brothers Movie.. :heart:

Ditto on the fuck cancer sentiment. :up:

The thing about Aretha Franklin is that even if you are not a fan of her music you cannot help but feel really sad because she is such a positive icon. With all the coverage of the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death it got me thinking about all the musical talent that has been lost from the 1960's and 70's. For reasons beyond just music they were culturally significant in ways no artists have been in the last few decades. There may never be artists like that again so it is an extra emotional punch when you hear things like this.

With all the coverage of the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death it got me thinking about all the musical talent that has been lost from the 1960's and 70's.

I remember thinking about that when I read that issue of Rolling Stone from a couple years ago that listed the 100 greatest singers of all time. There were some really notable ones in there, and so many of them had passed away. It was kind of troubling. Definitely makes you want to appreciate and value the ones that are still around to grace us with their talents.

Such sad news about Aretha, I wish her well in her cancer fight. And add me to the "fuck cancer" chorus. Why is there not a full-fledged cure for that disease yet?

Angela

Back
Top Bottom