Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to wait until release date. How do the rest of the tracks sound compared to the two they've already released?

It's a mix of heavier stuff and some gorgeous, romantic midtempo tunes. There's a lot of great wordplay. This could be Turner's most quotable set of lyrics yet, actually. And the melodies sound very classic, at times very poppy.

"Brick By Brick" was definitely a bit of a red herring. Nothing else on the album sounds like it, especially because it's the only track Matt sings on.

Swoonworthy stuff. Spongeworthy, really.

I'm so in love with this album.

I'll just drop some of my personal highlights here in disorganized bullet points, sort of half review/half bullshit ramblings.

- Alex starts off the album by telling us 'I've been feeling foolish. You should try it.' And, yup, that's basically the perfect mission statement for the next 40 minutes of music. This band is having fun, and it seems to be coming easy here. Great, instantly familiarly melody on "She's Thunderstorms," and the image of a girl 'lying on her front, up against the wall' is such a great and strange Turneresque turn of phrase. And those drums! Fuck!

- The chorus on "Black Treacle." Hell, everything about "Black Treacle." Probably my favorite track right now. I want it on repeat in my ear.

- "Hellcat" is insanely catchy. That bass line kills, and the lyrics (as they are on a lot of the album) are some brilliant hybrid of humor/abstract imagery/rich vocabulary. Should be a single.

- "Library Pictures" rocks so hard. An improvement on "Pretty Visitors" from the last album, but with an unexpected slow-burn breakdown in the middle that leads to maybe the best moment on the album and a moment that will just OWN in concert. Chaos at its finest.

- Love the call back to 'get on your dancing shoes' in "All My Own Stunts." :cute: Other than that, probably my least favorite track on the album.

- "Reckless Serenade" is just a perfect lyric. Concise, short and oh so sweet. The girl he wrote this song about has to be flattered out of her mind. This is a fucking love song.

- A funky drum beat kicks off "Love Is A Laserquest" and then it dives into a bittersweet and tender ode to a lost love. Gorgeous.

- "Piledriver Waltz" is pretty perfect, too. Fuck. A pattern is developing here.

- I poured my aching heart into a pop song
I couldn't get the hang of poetry
That's not a skirt, girl
That's a sawed off shotgun
And I can only hope you've got it aimed at me

:heart:

- The lead guitar riff on closer "That's Where You're Wrong" is so great, one of those licks that makes you want to pick up your own guitar and try to figure it out. And then when Alex starts singing the chorus over the top, with the same melody? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Fucking fantastic.

Fuck.

Downlaoded last night, didn't get time to sync iPod before work this morning, Will hopefully listen tonight during a big NHL '11 session :hyper:

Saw them in Detroit tonight they played Hellcat Spangled Shalalala. I'm sure they played a few others two as I didn't recognize a few songs and those songs didn't get as much of a reaction from the crowd. My computer sucks so I have to wait till it's out to listen to it

They are pretty much a must see band live. They had to change venues in Detroit because the show sold out so fast were it orginialy suppose to be.
I hope they come back soon.

I know it hasn't even been officially released yet, but I wish more people were talking about this album. Fucking great. Such an enjoyable collection of tunes.

That four strong stretch late in the album (Reckless Serenade > Piledriver Waltz > Laserquest > Title Track) is like some super soulful EP of love songs from a bygone era. Alex has taken his songwriting to another level. Just beautiful.

Where the fuck are you at, Mr. V? I need some help here.

I've already listened to it a lot. It's not as good as Humbug but I didn't expect it to be. I like the first have more than the second. The second is too slow for my liking and by the time Love Is A Laserquest is on I'm bored. The last track is gold though. As are Black Treacle, Hellcat and Reckless Serenade.

...not as good as Humbug? Well, my expectations just dropped through the floor. I love, love, love Favourite Worst Nightmare.

Your expectations drop through the floor because one dude on Interference says it's not as good as Humbug? Damn, man. That's weak.

Listen to it, I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy it.

I'll listen to it when it comes out. But hearing from someone that it's not as good as their worst (by far, imo) album makes me less inclined to run out and listen to a leak....

GirlsAloudFan said:
Your expectations drop through the floor because one dude on Interference says it's not as good as Humbug? Damn, man. That's weak.

Listen to it, I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy it.

I mean, I agree with Tourist that Humbug is easily their worst, but you're correct here. If Cobbler only listened to things we like, he would hate music.

Haven't heard it yet. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see.

YouTube - ‪Alex Turner - Suck It And See (Acoustic)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Arctic Monkeys - Love Is A Laserquest (Live at the Edge)‬‏

Be still my heart. These are two of the best and most soulful tunes the man has written, and in this laid back and stripped down solo form, the words really come alive. His voice is just...beautiful. So smooth, so cool. It's gotten better with age. More mature, I guess? Anyway, he's rarer than a can of dandelion and burdock.

JIGSAW WOMEN WITH HARRAH MOVIE SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!

:heart:

I mean, I agree with Tourist that Humbug is easily their worst, but you're correct here. If Cobbler only listened to things we like, he would hate music.

Haven't heard it yet. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see.

I suppose it's better to have tempered expectations and be pleasantly surprised than it is to hear nothing but good things and then for it to be a disappointment. Anyway, I give everything musical a chance, and a second chance most of the time (see: Fleet Foxes). I'm hoping GAF is right and that it's an amazing album. I just don't wanna get Strokes'd again.

Here I am GAF.

This album is amazing. I've said this about each of the three before but this could be their best yet. It's balanced, mature, catchy, meaningful, stupid, cryptic, funny, rocks hard and generally kicks ass.

Hellcat is my favorite atm but each track has something to offer. The title track and Black Treacle are pretty gorgeous and Reckless Serenade continues the lineage of Cornerstone, FloAdo, Mardy Bum, Too Much to Ask et al.

Give me a few days to get my shit together and I'll go in-depth. I love you Alex Turner.

the tourist said:
I suppose it's better to have tempered expectations and be pleasantly surprised than it is to hear nothing but good things and then for it to be a disappointment. Anyway, I give everything musical a chance, and a second chance most of the time (see: Fleet Foxes). I'm hoping GAF is right and that it's an amazing album. I just don't wanna get Strokes'd again.

Have you really actually been let down by the Monkeys before though? Much less to the extent of the Strokes? I don't think this band has ever made a straight up horrible song. They've not got an inconsistent bone in their bodies.

Have you really actually been let down by the Monkeys before though? Much less to the extent of the Strokes? I don't think this band has ever made a straight up horrible song. They've not got an inconsistent bone in their bodies.

Yes, I have been let down by Arctic Monkeys. Humbug.

Weird. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I think let down is a touch harsh. There's a lot of value in Humbug.

But Suck It and See kind of sounds like a summation/combination of all three albums to date and everything they've done so far so I'll be very surprised if you can't find something to love here.

Back
Top Bottom