Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give me an eeny, meeny miny moe.
Or an ipp dipp, dog-shit rock and roll. :rockon:

Somehow Alex gets away with dumb lyrics like these and I love it.

Somehow Alex gets away with dumb lyrics like these and I love it.

He gets away with them because he turns around and just a couple of tracks later hits us with something like "Love is a Laserquest," which is just a stunningly poignant lyric about the one that got away.

When I'm pipe and slippers and rocking chair
Singing dreadful songs about summer
Will I have found a better method of pretending you were just some lover?

:sad:

I listened to this album. I did enjoy it more than Humbug. Again, though, Humbug wasn't a terrible album, but after Favourite Worst Nightmare (which is in my top 10 of its decade), it was a letdown. Also, coming just after Last Shadow Puppets (which was in my top 20 of that decade). I find this album to be about on par with Last Shadow Puppets in my enjoyment of it. Which is a great deal. Probably I like this album as much as the debut album as well. Favourite Worst Nightmare>Last Shadow Puppets/Suck It And See/Whatever People Say I Am>Humbug.

He gets away with them because he turns around and just a couple of tracks later hits us with something like "Love is a Laserquest," which is just a stunningly poignant lyric about the one that got away.

When I'm pipe and slippers and rocking chair
Singing dreadful songs about summer
Will I have found a better method of pretending you were just some lover?

:sad:

What a beautiful, beautiful lyric. And a beautiful song, to boot. I was on the verge of tears the first time I heard it.

So very surprised right now, in the most pleasant of ways: the album kicks ass. Definitely their best since Whatever People Say I Am. Why? This is a fucking pop album, and it turns out that these boys are terrific at pop songs, as evidenced by Cornerstone, my favorite AM song. The hooks here are mammoth, the production is great, and Turner's voice is slyer than ever.

Gotta say, what holds this album back is the rather melody-free rockers, all of which feel like filler to me in the greater context of this really awesome Beatlesque record. Brick By Brick (lame Queens of the Stone Age b-side), Don't Sit Down (really repetitive, lacks a chorus) and All My Own Stunts (pleasant but, again, never really takes off) are the three I don't care for, but everything else is awesome. So much better than Humbug, which was a minute shorter but feels a half hour longer; SIAS is so much more lithe, which is probably because of that whole "fuck it, we'll do it live" approach they took to recording it.

Really glad that you like it, LeMel. :up:

And I'd agree with two of your three that you don't care for - "Brick By Brick" and "All My Own Stunts" are my two least favorite tracks here. Very interesting that they decided on "Brick By Brick" as the first thing the public would hear from these sessions. I don't hate it, and as a huge fan it was a bit of a mindfuck because it's unlike anything they've recorded before, but it definitely doesn't stand up to a lot of the beautifully melodic and poetic tracks on here.

I do like "Don't Sit Down," though. I think it's fun, and the instrumentation has a big, menacing vibe that I enjoy.

Anyway.

AOTY. So far.

EDIT: Also glad that you dig it, tourist.

It's firmly in my top 5 of the year so far. Behind Helplessness Blues. Probably about even with Circuital and Belong. Ahead of Born This Way (which would have been a much better album if about 4 songs and a lot of cheesy saxophones were cut out). Anyway, really solid throughout--I even like the rockier moments. I do miss a bit of the faster stuff from the earlier albums though.

After about 5 listens or so, I must say that I really like this album. It came out at the perfect time of year as it's dripping with a summer feeling. Even Dont Sit Down, which I didn't like at first, has really grown on me. These guys are probably the best out there at the moment at writing a great pop tune. Solid album and one of my favourites of the year so far. Head and shoulders above Humbug (save for Cornerstone. Thats a killer track)

So very surprised right now, in the most pleasant of ways: the album kicks ass. Definitely their best since Whatever People Say I Am. Why? This is a fucking pop album, and it turns out that these boys are terrific at pop songs, as evidenced by Cornerstone, my favorite AM song. The hooks here are mammoth, the production is great, and Turner's voice is slyer than ever.

Gotta say, what holds this album back is the rather melody-free rockers, all of which feel like filler to me in the greater context of this really awesome Beatlesque record. Brick By Brick (lame Queens of the Stone Age b-side), Don't Sit Down (really repetitive, lacks a chorus) and All My Own Stunts (pleasant but, again, never really takes off) are the three I don't care for, but everything else is awesome. So much better than Humbug, which was a minute shorter but feels a half hour longer; SIAS is so much more lithe, which is probably because of that whole "fuck it, we'll do it live" approach they took to recording it.

After repeatedly listening to this record since Tuesday, I agree with everything said here. Except, I like Don't Sit Down because of Alex Turner's crazy lyrics. And I also like Brick By Brick (It's like Elevation for me. A fun little rocker in the midst of a lot of mid tempo pop songs). Other than that, well said LemonMelon

This is pretty damn good GAF! it's my first Arctic Monkeys record, I think I was always put off by the abrasiveness of the vocals/music/lyrics of other songs of theirs I'd heard, but I heard this one was a touch mellower in parts and I think it could become a fav for me this year.

Heard it again. It still rules.

Think I'll listen to that Submarine EP later, and I'll let you guys know what I think. I haven't heard any of Alex's solo stuff, including Last Shadow Puppets.

Anybody going to see them on tour? Got tickets for Glasgow in November. Had a peek at their current set as well - massive lack of Humbug songs (it could become their Pop in my opinion) and That's Where You're Wrong, for me easily one of their best songs only a rare inclusion. Still cannot wait to see them again, went in 2009 and it was absolutely mental.

Back
Top Bottom