Arctic Monkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Humbug is boring, just listen to Cornerstone and then some QOTSA instead. AM's first couple albums are good.

Now this album right here...first track started and I laughed and laughed. As it went on though, I realized how much I liked it. It reminds me of Broadcast. Should have been released as a side project because no AM fan wants this album, even though the music is actually good.

I enjoyed the first listen - Star Treatment, 4 Outta 5 and the Monster Truck song were initially memorable.

I think I kind of dig this. I get an REM Up vibe on some these tracks.
Review scores are all over the place on Metacritic.

I love this album... so friggin much.

Title track, American Sports and 4 out of 5 are easily my favourites, but it is a start to finish wave of incredible audio chocolate. Just when I thought that 2018 was starting to look like 2017's poor cousin for new releases.

I slept on this all weekend. Finally decided to give it a spin at work this morning. Hot damn! First of their albums I've loved on first listen since Favorite Worst Nightmare (which is easily my favorite Arctic Monkeys album, and has been since the day it was released). Totally was expecting AMpt2 and am happy that it's not. I like AM fine, but it's just a bunch of solid songs without any huge character or highlights. This has both character and huge highlights. The drums and bass are the real stars from an instrumentation standpoint. (Also, now that I've dived headfirst into producing music, I feel like I appreciate the mixing/production much more than I otherwise would have - it's freaking fantastic)

First spin this morning, loved it. My main thought was that if this was a Bowie album it'd probably be held up as all-time. Other artist influences I caught on the first spin through were Grizzly Bear and Sgt Peppers.

Can’t stop listening to it. It’s grown with each listen. Only songs I’d probably skip are Batphone and Science Fiction.

So many good tunes. Star treatment, American sports, title track and She Looks Like Fun.

Better than AM I’d say. That was a handful of singles and filler.

Could be their 3rd best album after first 2. Though I like singles from Humbug and Suck It and See, overall not that memorable albums.

Took me a good 10 listens to appreciate this new LP. Could be my favourite in another 10 listens.

You mention Bowie as an influence COBL. I hear Happiness is A Warm Gun in 4 out of 5

AND

A funny thought is that One Point Perspective reminds me of Something Beautiful by Robbie Williams haha

https://youtu.be/5wzoXBHI0tg

Last edited:
I haven’t even sat down with the lyrics yet and already there’s so many quotable lines. Amazing.

Man - that is one great experience you’ve got coming up! The pitchfork article that goes through track by track with Alex is good, and there is a lot of gold on genius.com in the annotations.

I'm glad the response here isn't the Philistine "wahhhh this isn't AM pt. 2 so it's boring trash" reaction I'm seeing everywhere else.

I was disappointed when I first read reviews about an album full of mid-tempo song with choruses that are few and far between because I absolutely loved AM. Do I Wanna Know, R U Mine, Snap Out of It, Knee Socks...etc are raw and catchy as hell. This album is....interesting. Certainly nothing has stood out to me to the extent that it has for most of you, but I'm hoping it clicks with me. As for now it's decent background music while I'm working, but not something I'm going to consciously seek unless it clicks soon. In a way I feel the same way I feel about the newest National album. It's nice, but hasn't clicked with me like their previous albums. (Though Sleep Well Beast has some actually very catchy songs/choruses.)

AM is the type of record they can put out in their fucking sleep. They could release 50 records akin to AM or the debut and the fans will shit themselves over it. But it's not nearly as interesting as when they challenge themselves and embrace the more melodic, harmonic sides, where they sound a bit more like The Beatles. I am loving this record at the moment.

I hear Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite in She Looks Like Fun.
Yeah, She Looks Like Fun is just exceptionally Beatlesy. Especially the verses. One of the most satisfyingly Beatles-sounding songs I've heard in a long time.

We've always been on the same team.

I also get a bit of a Mr. Kite/Sgt. Peppers vibe from Monster Truck Front Flip which is one of only two songs on the album that I don't absolutely adore (The other being Batphone). Although both songs still have cool moments and lyrics. The other 9 songs are killer front to back in my mind.

This album is pure joy start to finish. I don’t get all the references or lyrics, but time for that. This album makes me happy. I love it. Their most enjoyable and possibly best album to date. I even like the songs I didn’t at first after another 10 listens.

Maybe I’m on a new LP high, but for me this is the Album of the decade. 10/10.

Had my sit down. Really loving it. And just laughing, because I'm the strangest Arctic Monkeys fan. Didn't really care for AM, but am loving this one instantly. Alex Turner is so much better when he's looking at the stars and not his dick. The lyrics on this album are hilarious. And also just so memorable. There's actually too many to post. What other album do you hear about quantitative easing and grandfathering?!

Star Treatment is fucking stellar, just adore the lush vibe on this one, and what a fucking opening line! Feels like a little bit of a wink to Five Years, too. I mean the whole album feels like a wink to the great man. It's a bit odd having two tracks that feature that pinched piano that reminds me so much of Grizzly Bear's Two Weeks (One Point Perspective and The World's First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip). The part in the former where Turner sings, "I've been driving around listening to the scoooooooooooreeeee" is pure Bowie. Such a great moment. Love that dark, driving piano on American Sports. GAF, I also get a big Beatles vibe from Golden Trunks, maybe Happiness is a Warm Gun. Four Out of Five fucking rules, probably the best song for mine.

Science Fiction has one of the best lines I reckon: "I tried to write a song to make you blush / but I've a feeling that the whole thing may well just end up too clever for its own good". And then a beat, and then "the way some science fiction does". That beat then twisting of the knife is so funny to me.

She Looks Like Fun is probably my least favourite so far, though I do still really like it, just find the initial crunches and, to use a storied Interf meme, the parts where he sings "she looks like fun" to be a bit off-putting. But then again, it too has one of the album's best and fucking funniest lyrics: "no one's on the streets / we moved it all online as of March".

Won't hear a bad word about Batphone, it has this slinky, darkened jazz room, mid-70s Bowie vibe to it (I'm sure there's a ton of other influences lol I just can't think of them) and it's the best song on the album lyrically. How fucking good is this line: "I launch my fragrance called Integrity / I sell the fact I can't be bought" immediately followed by "have I told you all about the time that I got sucked into a hole through a hand-held device?", taking the piss out of those stupid fucking vapid photos where people's faces are getting sucked into iPhones. And then it winds out with the slow waltz of The Ultracheese, which is really pretty, and - SORRY - is the Rock 'n' Roll Suicide of this album, though I wish it really went for it at the end like that song does, it kind of ends a little limply. The most touching song lyrically, with its nostalgia, whether it's for relationships or an idyllic version of America that's never existed. There's also one moment that is really really beautiful - about the 2:20 mark, where he sings "I've still got pictures of friends on the wall", and there's one piano note at that moment that is just one of those super emotional piano notes, like a second piano comes in or something. It lasts one second then goes again. Not sure if anyone else picked up on that?

So yeah, great album haha, Star Treatment, Four Out of Five and Batphone my favs at the mo

Have never seen them live, and look at setlists, I'm just hoping that they will indeed embrace this record, cos at the moment they're dominated by AM tracks. Give me Suck it and See and this back-to-back.

I hear Neil Finn style in Golden Trunks.

She looks like fun my fave at moment, but so many great songs. One of my favourite albums ever!

Alex Turner is a godlike genius

I dunno how you embed links but here’s Four Out of Five on Fallon

https://youtu.be/DHMBJ2do1XU

Last edited:
So glad to see the love for Tranquility Base here. It didn't jump out and grab me like AM, but that's because it's so dense. They went about as far from AM as they could and it's still brilliant.

As for the setlists, the only shows so far have been before the album was released, so they will be adding more in. The live versions are great as well. Heard Four out of Five, One Point Perspective, She Sounds LIke Fun and American Sports. All were fantastic. They have more musicians tour with them now, which helps.

I finally sat down with the lyrics... Turner has to be one of the best lyricists of the past decade. As an album I'll probably end up liking this more than AM.

Also, I just watched some footage from Glastonbury 2007 before the live performance on Fallon. It's crazy how much Turner's voice, looks and demeanor have changed. He really was a schoolboy back then. The only thing that hasn't changed is the witty lyrics.

Have never seen them live, and look at setlists, I'm just hoping that they will indeed embrace this record, cos at the moment they're dominated by AM tracks. Give me Suck it and See and this back-to-back.

I hope this gives you some inspiration to give the earlier albums a/nother crack.

Humbug is seriously underrated. Cornerstone is lyrically one of the strangest singles I’ve ever heard, Pretty Visitors, Crying Lightning, My Propeller, Dangerous Animals - all great. Only reason this wasn’t my favourite of theirs before was too much filler outside these tracks.

Re She Looks Like Fun: did you read about the inspiration for this song? His girlfriend’s struggles with the band’s fans on Instagram, and his general distrust for social media?

“Dance is if someone’s watching - cos they are”

https://youtu.be/lY_1Ertxl4o

Back
Top Bottom