Arcade Fire 2: Arcade Harder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just listened to Reflektor for the first time. Starts out a little slow, but those last few minutes...wow. I think those last few minutes might already be one of their best moments.

You can use a mouse, too (which is what I did).

I thought the video was great, and was nice to hear a high quality version of the song. I'm liking it more with each listen (and I've already listened to it a lot).

Really don't like it and I'm not here to rain on anybody's parade if you do. Just seven minutes of no melody and really trite lyrics. Meh.

Love this band, but I really feel like they're starting to phone it in. Suburbs had too many songs that were just kind of plodding and didn't go anywhere (although awesomeness like "The Sprawl II" totally proved they're still geniuses)...I approach any new release from an artist as to whether or not I'd give a shit if I hadn't heard of this band before. Take away the Arcade Fire name and hardly anybody would care about this song. It's not an attention getter like the early singles.

Suburbs is a classic from my perspective, much more appealing melodically and thematically than any of their other albums, but I wouldn't call it obviously "pop" either. I'd cut a few tracks, but only a few. I think it's masterfully constructed, myself. There are so many gems people overlook as well, like Empty Room. Holy fuck.

Boom.

Love the album

B side is the instrumental, meaning there's $10 you can just put toward the LP.

Love the song. How are you guys feeling about Murphy's influence. I'm actually surprised how little I hear it. Def here it in the drums, but after that?
I heard about as much as I thought I would. It's very rhythmically Murphy, both with the drums and the bass parts (there's a synthy bass part running through some parts in particular that made me think of him). But Arcade Fire is well established enough that he was never going to turn them into LCD.

Love the song. How are you guys feeling about Murphy's influence. I'm actually surprised how little I hear it. Def here it in the drums, but after that?

The lead synth line in the first half sounds like it could have come straight from an LCD Soundsystem track, I think.

Totally hooked on the song now. It's repetetive but it works, at the moment at least. Love the recurring It's a Reflektor! shouts. So catchy. And French lyrics aways get a :up: from me.

The lead synth line in the first half sounds like it could have come straight from an LCD Soundsystem track, I think.

The percussion reminded me of "Dance Yrself Clean" immediately.

Bonus points for the Bowie-summoning sexy sax.

Really don't like it and I'm not here to rain on anybody's parade if you do. Just seven minutes of no melody and really trite lyrics. Meh.

Love this band, but I really feel like they're starting to phone it in. Suburbs had too many songs that were just kind of plodding and didn't go anywhere (although awesomeness like "The Sprawl II" totally proved they're still geniuses)...I approach any new release from an artist as to whether or not I'd give a shit if I hadn't heard of this band before. Take away the Arcade Fire name and hardly anybody would care about this song. It's not an attention getter like the early singles.

Best borderline trolling since Anu's douchebag remarks on The Suburbs! I'm not sure how releasing a song that sounds like NOTHING the band has done before is phoning it in. Not to mention the balls of releasing a 7 minute-plus single when U2 was afraid to do the same thing with their last album.

Thanks for accusing us of only liking this because it has AF's name on it. You're "not here to rain on anybody's parade" but that's precisely what this comes off as.

Glad the internet wasn't around back in the 80s so we didn't have to listen to your take on releases by Talking Heads, Bowie, etc.

Definitely liking the song more on second listen.

But I still don't buy that all of those tracks (other than the closer) have the same 7:34 running length. That's ridiculous.

Definitely liking the song more on second listen.

But I still don't buy that all of those tracks (other than the closer) have the same 7:34 running length. That's ridiculous.

No way. One of the tracklistings for Yeezus had every song at 3:18 from memory, and that was summarily discounted. People have short memories.

Back
Top Bottom