Arcade Fire 2: Arcade Harder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got an e-mail that my tickets for the Calgary show have been dispatched and I'm currently (obsessively) tracking it online. They're almost here and I should get them tomorrow!

I really can't wait for this concert. :hyper:

I forgot I had one of these tracking numbers from crowdsurge. I just checked now. "successfully delivered" with my wife's name on the signature line. :hyper:

When I get home I'll give her a mind "bang" and demand my tixs! :lol:

Vancouver floor! :rockon:

Arcade Fire's revolutionary 'We Used to Wait' video: Director Chris Milk explains how it was created

by Simon Vozick-Levinson

arcade-fire_240.jpg
Image Credit: Eric Kayne

The Wilderness Downtown, the interactive website that Arcade Fire released last week for their song “We Used To Wait,” is something very different from a typical indie-rock promotional clip. So it’s fitting that the band hired a director, Chris Milk, who despite his impressive résumé in the field — Kanye West’s “Jesus Walks” and “Touch the Sky,” U2 & Green Day’s “The Saints Are Coming” — has decidedly mixed feelings about the music video medium.

“I spend a lot of time thinking about how music videos could ever achieve the emotional resonance of straight music,” Milk says in an email exchange with the Music Mix.

“Honestly, I’m not sure music videos can ever really touch you as deeply as music alone can. Music scores your life. You interact with it. It becomes the soundtrack to that one summer with that one girl. Music videos are very concrete and rigid because they rely on someone else’s vision. Sometimes mine.”

Cutting-edge Web elements help make The Wilderness Downtown a more personal, immersive experience. Viewers enter an address of their choice (preferably their childhood home), calling up images from Google Maps at key moments in the song. As the music goes on, viewers can also enter messages to their younger selves which are then incorporated into the presentation. “By letting the audience participate in the visuals, we allow for more of an emotional connection,” Milk says.

A friend of Arcade Fire singer Win Butler “from a while back,” Milk also works closely with Aaron Koblin of Google Creative Lab at their “micro-agency,” Milk + Koblin.

“The concept really came about as a way to bring two ideas together,” Milk says. “Google wanted a creative way to showcase what was possible on the web with HTML5 and the band wanted an innovative visual that could work like a traditional music video.”

After beginning discussions with Butler this past January, Milk and Koblin finished The Wilderness Downtown by August. The site’s code-writing phase took “two incredibly fast-paced months,” thanks to production company B-Reel and “coding genius” Mr.doob, who had previously worked with Milk and Koblin on another interactive music site, The Johnny Cash Project.

Google’s technology became a crucial ingredient in The Wilderness Downtown. “Google Maps and streetview provided a really good answer to a big question I had when we began the project,” says Milk. “What could we do, using the tools available, that would emotionally resonate with people, without getting them bogged down in the technology? It’s easy to lose the humanity when you start showcasing tech. Google Maps and streetview embody this contradiction of cold high-tech that can be incredibly emotional when used in the right context.”

With The Wilderness Downtown drawing near universal acclaim, Milk is already looking forward to the next step. “I’m hoping to do my first feature film soon,” he says. “I have two in development right now.”

After giving "The Suburbs" a few listens I really think these guys are the next U2. As in, they are worthy of the torch being passed to them... well over coldplay.

I kind of hear them as a mixture of:

My Bloody Valentine + U2 + Flaming Lips + Bruce Springsteen = Arcade fire?

Me either. But I definitely hear some Rick Springfield "Jessie's Girl" in "Modern Man" and Blondie "Heart of Glass" in "Sprawl II."

Yes, you will. I was getting coffee yesterday and Heart of Glass came on softly in the background of the coffee shop and I thought, "Cool, they're playing Arcade Fire! Oh wait..."

This has not ruined that song for me in the least, though.

"Modern Man," however, is one of my least favorite songs on the record, and hearing Rick Springfield in it has not improved it for me.

I have that on my iPod! Good stuff.

My ticket arrived yesterday - I was starting to worry. Say what you will about Ticketbastard, but I always have my tickets very quickly from them.

I have no idea what this Crowdsurge thing is. My pricing information showed up in pounds, it said my tickets were "dispatched," the envelope came from Arkansas, and it was a Ticketmaster ticket anyway.

Empty Room sounds like it could be MBV.

Listening to it now, I at least get the comparison, as there are dhoegazy elements in there. I still don't think it sounds like My Bloody Valentine, but understand why others may be reminded.

Empty Room sounds like it could be MBV.

What is the song that the Half Life II verse sounds just it was stolen from? It's driving me nuts.
A lot of people have mentioned it reminds them of Heart of Glass from Blondie.

I kinda get the comparison but beyond the dancey BPM and airy, whispy vocals there isn't much that I see the same from both songs.

A lot of people have mentioned it reminds them of Heart of Glass from Blondie.

I kinda get the comparison but beyond the dancey BPM and airy, whispy vocals there isn't much that I see the same from both songs.

That's Sprawl II that gets the Blondie comparison, but I agree with you, I've never gotten the connection too clearly. It's there a little bit but, eh.

Half Light II, I have no idea.

I think Beav is just confused and thinks when he hears a nice simple verse melody, it just has to be stolen from something else.

Back
Top Bottom