Arcade Fire 2: Arcade Harder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish you'd been there! There were lots of people there older than us! Like, with white hair and singing all the words. In the front row.

So they call it a "convention center" but it was more like the Mayberry American Legion Hall. It's 11PM and I'm home. :lol:

We got second row center against the stage effortlessly. It was just a blast. I'm so happy they played here and that when they looked out at the front row they saw a ton of Native Americans of all ages, and grandparents, and preteens and what I'm sure was a completely different kind of audience than they're used to seeing. Completely awesome experience. We didn't get videos or fancy lights or balloons or a disco ball. But we got intimacy and a crazy ass show.

Dammit! That sounds like fun!

You can see our goofy venue here - note how low the ceiling is and the row of little flag things over the stage. That was the extent of the set.

Anyway, this the extended version of Ready to Start.
YouTube - ArcadeFireTube3's Channel

And the setlist, which was all switched up:

Ready to Start
Month of May
Rebellion (Lies)
No Cars Go
Haïti
Modern Man
Rococo
Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
The Suburbs
The Suburbs (Continued)
Suburban War
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Wake Up
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

Encore:

Keep the Car Running
Intervention
We Used to Wait

If you're in the Chicago area, tune in to 93.1 WXRT on Sunday for an Arcade Fire/TVOTR double-header: two full concerts in one night! :hyper:

Is it an older TVOTR concert that they're re-airing? I thought they canceled the next handful of dates?

Yeah, it must be. They only have rights to certain Chicagoland soundboards, and they haven't played here yet this tour.

The Arcade Fire performance is indeed being broadcast live: night 2.

I doubt it. I think there's a rule that WXRT is only allowed to play Bloodbuzz and nothing else by them. You'd think I would have gotten sick of the song by now, but no.

I really wish the TVOTR performance was a recent one, as I am by no means guaranteed to be going to all three days of P4k.

Should be careful what I wish for though: it could be a re-airing of that Letterman webcast from last week.

I had the privilege of seeing The National and Arcade Fire last night, and the show exceeded expectations. The National have definitely changed since I saw them in October of last year; the songs were leaner, more muscular, and almost menacing. Matt especially sounded incredible. Already great as a live band, they are threatening to reach another stratum of excellence.

The crowd, unfortunately, was largely indifferent to them, and really didn't wake up at all until about half-way through the Arcade Fire set. AF had a peculiar habit of building the mood to fever pitch, only then to play a quiet, slow song that lost a lot of the attention that they had been commanding. "Wake Up," however, was one of the most exhilarating concert moments of my life, and the encore was twenty minutes of pure, unbridled energy. Other highlights for me were the Neon Bible tracks, even if the audience barely recognized them, and the vigor that they injected into songs like Month of May and Tunnels. Those songs took on a whole new life in the live setting. They are deserving of all the praise directed at their live show.

I don't post here often, but I have to give my review of the show I saw on Wednesday night in KC! So here it goes....

The National were amazing as expected. Matt had twisted his ankle or something before the show, so he kept making jokes about it. Besides that, there was nothing farce-like about their set. The highlights for me were 'Fake Empire' and 'About Today' (which was dedicated to Gerard Smith of TVOTR). The crowd got more and more into their set as they played, which was nice to see.

Arcade Fire really made everyone come alive though. 'Month of May' was a sweet way to open. Followed by an extended 'Ready to Start' THEN 'Rebellion' was an amazing thing to experience. I've been ignoring recent setlists, and did not expect 'Rebellion' so soon in the set, but it was a nice surprise because Win came out into the crowd and stood on the chairs not far from me. I was also surprised that they played '7 Kettles', which was so beautiful. The audience was pretty good as far as I saw (I was enjoying myself too much). But I think the band enjoyed us aswell because Win kept saying how much he loved playing here. It's nearly impossible to pick a highlight, but 'Wake Up' was one of the best moments of any show I've ever been to. Just pure joy.

On another note the venue was very beautiful, and resembled a castle. Which was cool to see them there again in such a magnificent place (I saw AF there in '07 with LCD Soundsystem, which was amazing). But the only bad thing about the venue was that it was seated. But after they returned for the encore, Win told us to come out into the aisles and run up to the stage. It was so impromptu, punk, and fun to run up in front. When it was all over, it was easy to see the band had a great time. Also I got a setlist which is hanging proudly in my room right now!

Sorry for the rambling post but I had to show homage to the Unforgettable Arcade Fire after that amazing show!!!:wave:

The last Arcade Fire performance I attended qualified as the most wonderful experience I've had at a concert, so I'm thrilled for those who have had an opportunity to experience this for yourselves. Curious to hear this extended Ready To Start, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

Also, hope you heal up soon, Matt...any injury unrelated to screaming Abel or being a badass during Mr. November is sad and unnecessary.

u2popmofo said:
Who's opening for you?

I'm trying to avoid making some joke about me (inevitably) hitting on girls at the show, so I'm just going to be straight with you: Explosions.

So an instant classic show was overshadowed by a complete meltdown in the venue department. This particular 7000 capacity outdoor amphitheatre is about 20 miles outside downtown in a town called Bee Cave. I had never been to it for a show, and it'll take a pantheon level band to get me back there. An absolute clusterfuck with the parking had me sitting in the car in a line for two hours outside the venue barely moving before I busted a U and parked at a mall two miles away. Because of that, I only managed to catch the last two minutes of Explosions closing with "Memorial." Huge bummer.

Arcade Fire were great, as expected. Loved every second of their show even with the venue debacle and shitty crowd. Here's the setlist:

Month of May
Rebellion
Laika
Haiti
City with No Children
Rococo
Intervention
Suburbs
Suburbs cont'd
Suburban War
Keep the Car Running
No Cars Go
Tunnels
We Used to Wait
Power Out

Ready to Start
Wake Up
Sprawl II

Pretty standard stuff there is my guess. The jam they tacked on to "Ready to Start" was hot stuff, and I left the show hating "Rococo" more than I ever thought I could. Fun times. But never again at that venue.

Glad you enjoyed the show, and a shame about the venue. There is a venue like that about a half-hour away from my hometown. It is a beautiful place to see a concert, but there are only two entrances - both of them narrow country roads. Parking and leaving are nightmares.

Back
Top Bottom