Apostle of Hustle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got_edge

Refugee
Why isn't there an officious thread?? I see them mentioned around B&C especially around the time Folkloric Feel was released but nothing major. So I guess this will become the place to drool all over them and National Anthem of Nowhere.

• Whiteman.jpg
The band is more or less the brainchild of Andrew Whiteman, who is the lead guitarist for the indie supergroup Broken Social Scene of Toronto. Whiteman returned to his native Toronto to resume writing and recording with Broken Social Scene after a two-month stay with his godmother's family in Cuba. He learned to play the tres, a Cuban guitar, during that time. But in the midst of making the Juno Award-winning You Forgot It in People, Whiteman couldn't escape the Spanish musical flavors of his time spent in El Barrio Santo Suarez.

In order to make his fascination come to life, two of his fellow bandmates, Julian Brown and Daniel Stone, joined Whiteman for what would become the cinematic, Latin-tinged portrait of Apostle of Hustle. Folkloric Feel was released on Arts & Crafts in late summer 2004. The follow-up to Folkloric Feel is National Anthem of Nowhere, released in Canada on February 6, 2007.

--Wik-Wik-Wikipedia

Cliff notes: Broken Social Scene - 20 members + Cuban flair = :combust:

I loooooooove them. I was going to make a thread about them after I saw them open for Andrew Bird two weeks ago but I got lazy :grumpy:

I'm relatively new to them. My introduction to them pretty much started with National Anthem of Nowhere, which I've obsessively listened to on repeat. I've fiiiiiiinally stopped neglecting Folkloric Feel and I've grown to appreciate it a lot. They're seriously awesome :up:

And they're fantastic live! National Anthem of Nowhere severely lacks the clapping they incorporated into songs like Rafaga. Definitely my favorite performance from their set :drool:

Andrew Whiteman's banter between songs was hilarious. Equipment kept malfunctioning on them and Andrew tried to make the best of the situation. My favorite moment was when he was telling us what to keep in mind while they played the instrumental intro to Fast Pony For Victor Jara:

"Imagine a Chilean man after taking 20 hits of acid, and he's traveling across the beautiful Arizonan desert on a horse. On his right hand, he's carrying the bloody decapitated head of George Bush [crowd cheers], and on the other: Stephen Harper"

Crowd: (dead silence)

Andrew (whispers into mic): "he's our Canadian prime minister"

Crowd: (resumes cheering)

Too funny.

PS if you ever meet the band don't aks Andrew Whiteman if he's Cuban
iconredfaceqb0.gif

I knew I could count on you :flirt:

"I have this weird peeve about people who talk about records and drop these names," he concedes. "Motherfucker says 'gypsy' this or 'Cuban' that. He wouldn't know a Cuban song if it came up and bit him on the ass."
"I have this weird peeve about people who talk about records and drop these names," he concedes. "Motherfucker says 'gypsy' this or 'Cuban' that. He wouldn't know a Cuban song if it came up and bit him on the ass."

SHUT UP

Dude, I'm telling you... I totally read something at Wikipedia or maybe it was last.fm, I don't exactly remember where, but it said that Andrew Whiteman was born in Cuba and he moved to Canada with his grams or something. And I didn't really know what to say to him other than compliment the guys on the show. I should've asked about BSS, I guess.

Whatever. I'm a gullible fool :sad:

And I am very familiar with a large variety of Cuban music, thanks Andrew :angry:

Last edited:
Holy crapoli, I can't believe I didn't know of any of this. Thank ye, kind sir.

Your welcome.
Can't say I care for the song that much. But I'm still excited for the album. Heard some of the new songs live last fall when they were opening for Bloc Party and they sounded good.

Yeah, it's certainly no 'National Anthem of Nowhere' as a first single (or was 'My Sword Hand's Anger' the first single from the last one?) Which ever song it was, this isn't as good as either of them. Interesting track though, somewhat of a new direction.

Thanks for the heads up, how is it? When is it releasing again, this coming week?

Yup, on the 19th.

I only really got half way through. I'm going to wait and pick up the album when it comes out and hear it in good quality.

Is it better than the lead single? I'm still not enjoying it all that much.

Pitchfork gave it a 5.9.
I still have to listen to it again to judge properly.

But what I've heard, I like most other stuff alot more than Perfect Fit. Kind of a weird first single.
I don't think they'll ever be able to top Folkloric Feel.

Back
Top Bottom