Anyone for a Desert Island?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So wait... you guys listen to all the playlists too? lol. :shifty: I thought it is just voting for the best playlist from the songs you know or something.

Obviously that plays a part, but the other benefit with DI is hearing stuff you aren't familiar with, which in turn gets you interested in hearing more from an artist you otherwise wouldn't have known about.

And then, of course, hearing songs you didn't know previously would alter how you look at someone's playlist.

Obviously that plays a part, but the other benefit with DI is hearing stuff you aren't familiar with, which in turn gets you interested in hearing more from an artist you otherwise wouldn't have known about.

Hmm that's an interesting point. Expanding our musical pallette and all... but one must also have the time to listen to so many playlists! lol. Anyway, nice concept.

And then, of course, hearing songs you didn't know previously would alter how you look at someone's playlist.

Provided you like those songs on first listen itself! Many songs are growers though. And after you listen to a whole playlist, you may still find yourself liking only the songs you already knew. But I guess it all depends.

I hope you take part LMS, it is really good. I've come across several artists through Desert Island. I wouldn't be a fan of Tom Waits, otherwise, for example.

My playlist is a tribute to youth, love, mortality and the open road entitled FREEDOM ROCK.

Please ensure your lists have a book-length textual component.

I haven't participated in this since...2008, I think. I might join, but I don't know if I can commit the time right now.

Mine has been mostly set for about a year, with some slight tweaking as I find better songs that fit. I'm looking forward to this starting up again.

If the rules weren't as strict as they are about labeling things and whatnot, I'd just upload my list with no information, title each song Track 1, Track 2, etc, and call it "No Preconceived Notions" and then not turn in the track listing until the game is over. Obviously people would know most of it anyway, but I think it'd be fun to honestly not know what's coming up next.

That is not a terrible idea. And if I really have to know what something is, there's always shazaam....

Honestly, I think that's the best way to go in without preconceived notions.

Is there anyway to do this through Spotify this time? Downloading all the lists is usually time consuming, not to mention legally murky territory.

I'm all for a blind list as well, although it would probably make using Spotify impossible.

If we do this, are we going to have time to make our lists? I know some of you have lists ready and waiting to go, but some us haven't started yet and could use a month to create something worth entering.

I haven't started yet Nammy so I need time.

Is there anyway to do this through Spotify this time? Downloading all the lists is usually time consuming, not to mention legally murky territory.

I'm all for a blind list as well, although it would probably make using Spotify impossible.

I like this idea a lot. It would mean I don't end up with a lot of songs in my library I don't want.

It's not going to be exclusively through spotify. A streaming option would be nice if people feel like uploading to multiple sites but a download should be required.

Axver is out and Phanan doesn't seem all that enthused. Can I run this? Do we need someone to run this?

Um.. what do you mean? Explain in English please. :p

It means you haven't been here long enough to get the inside jokes.

Axver is out and Phanan doesn't seem all that enthused. Can I run this? Do we need someone to run this?

I'm perfectly happy for the tournament to be in your capable hands if phanan's not keen. Even though I've no desire to compete or time to listen to all the lists, I might check out some of them.

I like the idea of blind lists, by the way. Maybe it would be worth an experiment in a short tournament and if it works well it can be applied to full tournaments down the track?

It means you haven't been here long enough to get the inside jokes.

Well, if it is an inside joke.. are new people not welcome or something? I sincerely hope that's not the case.

And you still haven't explained what you meant. A paragraph to go with the list? If so, I don't think such things should be enforced. Whoever wants to include it could do so I guess.

"Blind lists" implies that unless we all download everything and listen, there is no way we would know what we are comparing. And what about the task of relabeling everything from Track 1 or 2 back to the actual song title? Seems like too much work. Just my 2 cents fwiw.

One of the former DI competitors wrote was essentially a short novel as his introductory paragraph. New members are very welcome, and you can write as much or as little as you want to go with your list.

I really don't like the idea of renaming all the songs in my list track 1, 2, etc, and then renaming everyone else's once the comp is over, that's my input on that matter, just one man's opinion.

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification, cobl. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is serious and who is not when there are no smileys. I suppose Axver wasn't serious with his post. :wink:

I think I'd prefer a non-blind DI. Like LemonMirrorSky said, it'll be impossible to say anything about the lists. I fear it might just blur together for me after listening.

Making a playlist is damn hard I noticed. I never make them so this is a first for me. I've started like four different ones with different ideas and about halfway through I'm not happy with it and start over. :lol:

Like Axver said, we should have it as a theme for the next mini DI, which would be much easier to manage. A blind full DI would be a pain in the ass.

Back
Top Bottom