Anyone for a Desert Island?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think the idea behind a blind DI was to have title-less playlists, but to have nameless ones, to avoid bias towards other posters.

And for what it's worth, I always put my playlists together in Grooveshark now. I haven't downloaded a DI list in a couple of years. I still upload them for you all, though.

I don't think a blind DI would work, in terms of songs. People are going to know most of the songs, and for the ones they don't know, it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out anyway. Seems pointless to me.

Now if you are talking nameless, as Ashley stated, I'd be down for that.

As for streaming the songs online vs. actually downloading someone's playlist, I certainly understand the reasoning, although I'd argue that sometimes people use specific versions of songs in their playlists that are better suited for cohesiveness purposes that may be different than what is streamed, thereby altering one's views on it. Other times, the version streamed may not be the best sounding version available either, thus influencing one's thoughts on a playlist. But perhaps I'm overthinking things here...

Axver is out and Phanan doesn't seem all that enthused. Can I run this? Do we need someone to run this?

The only reason I'm not as into it as before is because the numbers are lower, but that doesn't look like it's going to change.

I'm perfectly willing to hand the reins over to you. I've certainly handled my share, from DI3 to DI7 and several minis, so some new blood wouldn't hurt. Just being a participant for a change would be nice. You've seemed interested for a while anyway.

I am, however, curious to know how you'll run it. You've long been a proponent of going back to polls vs. straight rankings, so I'm guessing that's one change you'd like to make, although I prefer the ranking system. With polling, you never know who is going to vote, which fluctuates the numbers, and you don't have to worry about alters. Not sure what the majority thought is on this, but I'll go by whatever the ultimate decision is.

With a major change like that, I would rather open the floor than make an executive decision. With daily polls, you're presented with more opportunities to listen to the playlists/feel bad for not listening to the playlists, but the flaws you alluded to still apply. Personally speaking, I listened to more playlists in the DI3 and DI4 days, though that may have little to nothing to do with the format.

Whatever you guys want to do is cool. In a way, it's easier for me if we do rankings, but in a way it isn't because I have to track everyone down for their lists at the end.

I didn't think I would be able to put anything coherent together for this, but there were two songs in a row on my iPod shuffle yesterday that gave me inspiration.

I thought it would take me a month to put a list together, but I've managed to do it in a week. I'm over 160 minutes, have to make some cuts, might replace some tracks, have to mess with the order, but it's mostly there.

I think it was something between 60 and 160 minutes. Mine is nearly finished and is about 2 hours.

I've been working on a playlist that is either going to be CD length (80 min) or maximum 100 min. I figure people may not have the patience to listen to much more, if they even listen fully! :wink: Don't know. Anyway, I searched and found previous competitions over here to have an understanding of how it goes. I see that you don't repeat artists, which is fine. When is the sign up or whatever and who is going to conduct it? I'll be checking this space. Just don't forget about me. lol.

Does Monday suit everyone for signup? I would have started it sooner, but we never really came to any sort of consensus as to what format we're going with.

Oh, I came in hoping this would be a thread where we could nominate certain posters to be dropped off on a desert island

Monday's good for me.

As for the format, I'd lean toward sticking with rankings. I feel like, with the polls, if someone loses early on, they might become disinterested in participating in the rest of the competition(listening, voting, etc), whereas with the rankings, there's not as much winning and losing going on throughout the competition, just a ranking at the end, so that for the duration of the competition, it can be more about just listening and discussing and conversing than about voting and winning and losing.

Oh, I came in hoping this would be a thread where we could nominate certain posters to be dropped off on a desert island

Right. I'd be up for a Desert Island if it was just me, Emma Watson, and Kristen Stewart chilling there. And none of us brought clothes.

No, not at all. Sorry for already being a flake, I had an exam today and it slipped my mind. I'll make the signup thread this afternoon.

Please give us some time between the signup and submission of the lists. I'm still a long ways from finishing mine.

Two weeks? A month? If you guys could suggest a time frame in the next, I dunno, 8 hours that would be nice. I'm probably going with 2 weeks, but if you guys need longer I'll go with that.

I'd say two weeks, just so interest doesn't drop off entirely - if that's okay with everyone else. I haven't started yet but it shouldn't take me long.

Back
Top Bottom