Any bands with a similar sounds/style of side B to Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
I've really been getting into the last half of Pop, more specifically Pop, Miami, Playboy Mansion and If You Wear That Velvet Dress. I was curious as to if anyone can suggest some bands that have a similar style/sound to the last half of Pop. I wouldn't even know what style to call it. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

It has a lounge music feel, but I can't think of anything quite like it.

First side is influenced by dance music Stone Roses, etc, but the second side less so

The songs are too different from each other to really attribute a sound/style to another artist.

Great thing about PoP is that it has a "feel" as opposed to a "sound".....

Indeed, very Loungey......

I think early Hoobastank fits the bill really well. Their first two albums, for sure.

Pulp - Disco 2000 but that is even a reach. The second half slightly has a britpop feel but very briefly. Pop is an unique album. Here's another reach: Verve - One Day.

The harder it is to answer this question, the more impressive the work remains.

Pop has always been my favorite album (despite temporarily falling behind NLOTH), but remains at top. Something unique and extremely different about it that makes it stand out quality wise, and more impressive, as you say.

It has a lounge music feel, but I can't think of anything quite like it.

First side is influenced by dance music Stone Roses, etc, but the second side less so

I'll have to check out Stone Roses. I've heard of the name, but not any of their songs.

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Listen now, if you haven't already.

I'll check out this album for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Velvet Dress definately has a Gavin Friday feel and vibe to it...

The Turtles "You Showed Me", obviously...

I'll check those out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pulp - Disco 2000 but that is even a reach. The second half slightly has a britpop feel but very briefly. Pop is an unique album. Here's another reach: Verve - One Day.

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize it's hard to discern what artists might sound like the second half of Pop, as there appears to be a consensus that it's such a unique, stand-alone 'feel'-ing type album. As also said before, I agree that because of the uniqueness of Pop, it makes it that much more of a brilliant album.

Parts of Portishead's Third remind me a bit of side B of Pop. Something like Hunter certainly takes me back to Velvet Dress. Other beats in the album also make me think of Miami. Maybe you will enjoy it.

Totally agree with those that mentioned the "feel" of Pop. However, the very middle, particularly SATS-LNOE, make the album weaker and lose some of its feel.

Back
Top Bottom