Another List Thread (Discourse = One Paddlin')

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you didn't like There's A Riot Going On, I'd still suggest checking out some of Sly's earlier stuff, which isn't quite as grim.

And same with Steely Dan, Aja is quite different from the earlier, rockier stuff. Though I'd listen to Countdown To Ecstasy before Can't Buy A Thrill, as it shows off much more of the band's versatility.

Travis told me the same, re: Sly, and I intend to do so.

I haven't kept my dislike of Aja a secret, but I do intend to listen to more by them at some point. They do have a few songs I really really love.

I learn to work the saxophone
And I play just what I feel
Drink scotch whiskey all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
And I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

:heart:

Aja's top 5, all day err day. Amazing album.

I can't believe a person could dislike Electric Warrior. One of the most fun, silly rock records of its era. Pure joy.

In honor of seeing the man tomorrow, top 10 Neil Young songs:

1. Cinnamon Girl
2. The Loner
3. Tell Me Why
4. Albuquerque
5. Powderfinger
6. Ambulance Blues
7. When You Dance I Can Really Love
8. The Needle and the Damage Done
9. Pardon My Heart
10. Out on the Weekend

Favorite artists I got into this year that very few people have heard of:

1. Longwave (Shoegaze indie reck)
2. Sennen (Shoegaze indie rock)

In honor of seeing the man tomorrow, top 10 Neil Young songs:

1. Cinnamon Girl
2. The Loner
3. Tell Me Why
4. Albuquerque
5. Powderfinger
6. Ambulance Blues
7. When You Dance I Can Really Love
8. The Needle and the Damage Done
9. Pardon My Heart
10. Out on the Weekend

Good list. I don't have a Top 10 ready, but I'm pretty sure that both "Tonight's The Night" and "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" would be chillin on that bitch.

Uncle Neil is the man.

Neil Young is definitely the man. On the Beach and Tonight's the Night must be one of the finest back-to-back runs in history.

Here's a question worth pondering: who is the cooler old man? Neil Young or Tom Waits?

I can't imagine any list of NY songs without Like A Hurricane, at least the live version. What a monster. The one on Weld is a shining example.

That's his Bad, as far as I'm concerned.

Like A Hurricane always gets overlooked by me because it's on such an inconsistent album that I never go back to. Clearly a top NY song though, it's a masterpiece. Wish we'd gotten it in the encore here but TONIGHT'S THE FUCKING NIGHT did the job too.

Like A Hurricane always gets overlooked by me because it's on such an inconsistent album that I never go back to. Clearly a top NY song though, it's a masterpiece. Wish we'd gotten it here but TONIGHT'S THE FUCKING NIGHT did the job too.

That song's all about the live versions.

"Dance" albums I've heard this year:

1) Classixx - Hanging Gardens
2) Disclosure - Settle
3) Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
4) Kavinsky - Outrun

Ok, I thought there were going to be more. Help me out, maybe?

Oooh, good one. My turn

1. Atoms for Peace - Amok
2. Disclosure - Settle
3. DJ Koze - Amygdala
4. Joe Goddard - Taking Over EP
5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
6. Thundercat - Apocalypse
7. James Blake - Overgrown

I've heard others, but these are the real good ones.

I didn't think of including Amok, but I didn't care overly much for it either, so that might be why. James Blake is on my relisten list, so I'll get to that soon.

I knew DJ Koze was an egregious error, I'll get on that one as well.

I'm not sure what dance music entails, so I'm rolling with a pretty general electronic list + some pop:

1. Bonobo - The North Borders
2. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
3. Charli XCX - True Romance
4. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
5. DJ Koze - Amygdala
6. Disclosure - Settle
7. Baths - Obsidian
8. Autechre - Exai
9. James Blake - Overgrown
10. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
11. Thundercat - Apocalypse
12. Atoms For Peace - Amok
13. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
14. How to Destroy Angels - Welcome to Oblivion

Fuck how did I forget Bonobo! And JT, for good measure.

Oooh, good one. My turn

1. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
2. Atoms for Peace - Amok
3. Disclosure - Settle
4. Bonobo - The North Borders
5. DJ Koze - Amygdala
6. Joe Goddard - Taking Over EP
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
8. Thundercat - Apocalypse
9. James Blake - Overgrown

I've heard others, but these are the real good ones.

I used the word "dance" but I think I was looking more at the "house" type music. Beat heavy, lyric-lite stuff. But, again, I appreciate the recommendations.

I'm not surprised that I haven't heard that JT album yet, but I really should get on it.

I hate "Suit and Tie", "Mirrors"' vocal makes me sad, because I feel like it's such a waste compared to the music and I've never really cared for a single other song by JT, so not expecting much.

I do find it strange that Mirrors has taken off commercially as it has, seeing as how it's the weakest song on the album by a fairly large margin.

While its one of my least favorites on there, it's not so much bad as conventional. As a single choice, it's rather a smart (though deceptive) move for an album many mainstream listeners might find to be a slog.

I got a record player a few weeks ago, and since then I have been trying to collect my favorite album from every year of the last decade or so on vinyl. Some of the choices are really difficult, but here's the list I have come up with so far:

2013: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
2012: Beach House - Bloom
2011: St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
2010: The National - High Violet
2009: Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
2008: Fleet Foxes - S/T
2007: Radiohead - In Rainbows
2006: Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors
2005: The National - Alligator
2004: Feist - Let It Die
2003: Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
2002: Robert Plant - Dreamland
2001: Bjork - Vespertine
2000: The White Stripes - De Stijl

2007 was a ridiculously good year for music. Radiohead, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Iron & Wine, The National, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, Burial, Feist, Springsteen, and others I am probably forgetting.

Also, the hardest choice was probably 2004, between Let It Die and Funeral, ironically.

Here's two for you, in honor of yesterday:

5 Greatest Concerts I've Ever Been To:
1) Roger Waters - The Wall (Chicago, 2010)
2) Bruce Springsteen - St. Louis, 2008
3) U2 - Chicago, 9/20/05
4) The Cure - Lollapalooza 2013
5) Prince - Chicago, October, 2012

I used to have a hard time picking a 5th favorite, but not anymore :love:

And on the opposite end of the spectrum
Top 5 Shows I have fallen asleep during, by order of how much of the show I missed:
5) Radiohead - Chicago, 2012 - Fell asleep during 2 songs, but that's because I was sick.

4) Grizzly Bear - Lollapalooza 2010 - I missed about 2 or 3 songs, but I never actually fell asleep all the way.

3) The XX - Lollapaloozaa 2010 - Laid down with my eyes closed almost the entire set, and fell asleep for about 4 songs. This was the same day as Griz, and the sets were very near each other. That was the first time I'd ever gone to all three days of a festival and I was exhausted, it was stupidly hot.

2) Institute - Opening for U2 at their show in Cleveland, 2005 - After waiting outside in the cold from 4 AM, and after my mom passed out in the line (giving us seats in stead of GAs) it was as good a time as any for a nap. I think I caught two songs.

1) Papa Roach - Edgefest 2007 - Again, I was sick. Managed to fall asleep the minute they came on stage, got a horrible sunburn because I was at an outdoor festival. My friends forced me to wake up during "Last Resort", though, for which I was grateful. If I'm going to see Papa Roach, the least I could do is hear the one song anyone knows. OH, wait, actually, I heard two songs from this show, because my friends woke me up during "Scars" and that was right before "Last Resort".

I'm seeing Grizzly Bear for the first time on Wednesday. I will not fall asleep.

I thought about sitting down during their set last night and taking a nap during just one song, just to keep the streak going.

Here's a little list to help you in your future Pandora endeavors:

Top 5 Belinda Carlisle related numbers:
1) Mad About You
2) Our Lips Our Sealed
3) Head Over Heels
4) Heaven is a Place on Earth
5) Circles in the Sand

Back
Top Bottom