Animal Collective - thoughts from a n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this album is very, very cool. But still...I can't get into the earlier stuff. They sound like stoned buskers with an 8 track on Sung Tongs, Feels is often aimless, and Strawberry Jam is pretty uneven. Some great tracks, but a lot of tuneless junk too.

I think this album is very, very cool. But still...I can't get into the earlier stuff. They sound like stoned buskers with an 8 track on Sung Tongs, Feels is often aimless, and Strawberry Jam is pretty uneven. Some great tracks, but a lot of tuneless junk too.

I'd say mostly tuneless junk, myself, but I have to admit that something like half of Strawberry Jam was transcendent, for me. Songs like "Peacebone" and "Fireworks" are just stunning. The problem was that the songs I didn't like were songs I detested. Same old, same old, with these guys.

All these years later, I've still never once managed to listen to Sung Tongs or Feels, from start to finish, in one sitting. Ugh. I'll take "Who Could Win a Rabbit" and go, thanks.

Songs like "Peacebone" and "Fireworks" are just stunning.

I'd add Winter Wonder Land to that list, and then agree that there's not much else on that one I really enjoyed. I do LOVE those 3 though. Maybe I'll have to give it another spin sometimes soon, but from all of your results of giving their back catalogue another shot, I don't have high hopes.

I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status
I just want four walls and adobe slats for my girls

WOOO

I'd add Winter Wonder Land to that list, and then agree that there's not much else on that one I really enjoyed. I do LOVE those 3 though. Maybe I'll have to give it another spin sometimes soon, but from all of your results of giving their back catalogue another shot, I don't have high hopes.

"For Reverend Green" kicks my ass every time I hear it.

I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status
I just want four walls and adobe slats for my girls

WOOO

And that's been me looking like a fool singing that all around campus for the last two weeks...:lol:

Do you appreciate the subtleties of taste, scumbo?

Yeah, I'm still obsessed with this album. It's a shoo-in for my album of the year. But I sincerely hope Boner can topple it.

Well, I checked out their latest album and was impressed. It is daring and eclectic without sounding pretentious or over-ambitious, which of course is a feat not easily achieved. I suppose the question then is where to go next in terms of their discography.

Hopefully that means there is an entire new stock. I went to Waterloo and Backspin int he past two days with no luck.

Why are you the way that you are?

InSound says it's back in stock. Now I can take back my scratched Sgt. Pepper's I bought yesterday and put that $10 towards MPP. Happy day.

Man, the saga continues. My record(s) finally arrived in the mail, today...and the sleeve got all dinged up, in shipping! What the fuzz, you know? I don't anticipate any problems with getting a new one...unless, of course, there are no more new ones for me to get. Shit's just insane. The cover is bent to shit, in the bottom right, and the back isn't looking too pristine, either. The slip for the second disc is also scuffed up like a monkey.

God damn it.

Still the best of 2009, so far! Give it a listen, kids! I beg you!

Nothing worse than getting a "brand new" damaged album. Hopefully they replace it for you.

I agree with your "best of 2009 so far" label.

Man, the saga continues. My record(s) finally arrived in the mail, today...and the sleeve got all dinged up, in shipping! What the fuzz, you know? I don't anticipate any problems with getting a new one...unless, of course, there are no more new ones for me to get. Shit's just insane. The cover is bent to shit, in the bottom right, and the back isn't looking too pristine, either. The slip for the second disc is also scuffed up like a monkey.

God damn it.

Still the best of 2009, so far! Give it a listen, kids! I beg you!

It's amazing how long it is taking for you to get a good copy of this on vinyl. Every time I go in the local music store and see the vinyl copies, I think of this thread and your saga.

Also, "Who Could Win a Rabbit" is easily the best song this band has ever or will ever write, record, perform, etc.. Honestly, it is. I have listened to it over 70 times, now...in the last two weeks. Unreal. It's this year's "Rotation," by Chikita Violenta (one of my favorite songs of all time, at this point, and another song I didn't come to obsess over [rather than just love] until ages after it first saw release).

This shit is perfect, the emboldened part so much so that it nearly reduces me to tears (these are the exact lyrics provided via e-mail by the band...I don't think that they're all correct, but whatever):

Hungry Bears in Butter Hustle
You'll be doing it a while livers only fail
Where's your relaxation?
Where's the time required for your health
Been hating on my new perspective.
Been Hurrying along no meal is ever done
But you could win a Rabbit
you could win a rabbit or a rib
The fast Child is gonna have a dead hand
We can get him started YEAH
Bad mind let me put on good habbits
been working to put on good habbits
some times I can't find my good habbits.
Do Do Do Do Do (the most important part)
Spanish Bands Use all the echo
Persion Kitties better stay out of the train
Glad you brought your food on
Eat it like it's gonna get a way
Coffe [sic] sure is getting colder
seats are getting fewer space is losing place
Is for winning rabbits here's to berlin habbits with a ripple

Rabbit or a Habbit?
Habbit or a Rib?

God dammit. One of my good friends burned me a CD with My Girls and Summertime Clothes on it (among other stuff). I've had the CD for a couple of weeks, I'd listened to those two songs a few times, thought they weren't too offensive. I read the glowing reviews of the album in this thread, led by IYS and his wonderfully unmistakable and articulate posts.

Well, fuck me. Guess what? Sitting here, at 5 in the morning, those two songs finally click. They hit me. I love them. And now I think I want to hear the rest of the album. I couldn't be more disappointed by this turn of events. I do not want to like Animal Collective. At all. Does that sound stupid? Probably. Oh, what a tangled web we weave!

Well, I'm happy that you're enjoying some new music. Always a good feeling, in my experience. Even more good news, this time on my front: I've been permitted to send back my fucked copy of the LP for a new one, and they claim that they'll even reimburse my shipping costs. I just hope that the next one which they send out doesn't arrive in the same state of disrepair.

It's very impressive, but I think that Antony and the Johnsons is the best that I have yet heard this year.

That is a pretty good record, yeah. Not many complaints, on my end. I'd say more consistent than, but not quite as affecting as, I Am a Bird Now. Sounds a lot more like the first record, I think, than the second.

Also, "Who Could Win a Rabbit" is easily the best song this band has ever or will ever write, record, perform, etc.. Honestly, it is. I have listened to it over 70 times, now...in the last two weeks. Unreal. It's this year's "Rotation," by Chikita Violenta (one of my favorite songs of all time, at this point, and another song I didn't come to obsess over [rather than just love] until ages after it first saw release).

This shit is perfect, the emboldened part so much so that it nearly reduces me to tears (these are the exact lyrics provided via e-mail by the band...I don't think that they're all correct, but whatever):

Hungry Bears in Butter Hustle
You'll be doing it a while livers only fail
Where's your relaxation?
Where's the time required for your health
Been hating on my new perspective.
Been Hurrying along no meal is ever done
But you could win a Rabbit
you could win a rabbit or a rib
The fast Child is gonna have a dead hand
We can get him started YEAH
Bad mind let me put on good habbits
been working to put on good habbits
some times I can't find my good habbits.
Do Do Do Do Do (the most important part)
Spanish Bands Use all the echo
Persion Kitties better stay out of the train
Glad you brought your food on
Eat it like it's gonna get a way
Coffe [sic] sure is getting colder
seats are getting fewer space is losing place
Is for winning rabbits here's to berlin habbits with a ripple

Rabbit or a Habbit?
Habbit or a Rib?

i couldn't agree more! wonderful song! :)

Back
Top Bottom