Animal Collective - thoughts from a n00b - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Vinyl is on the way. Sadly, though, the download coupon wasn't e-mailed to me with my order; I have to wait for it and the LP both. Google and RS are your friends, just as they were mine, in this matter. Found a good enough 320 rip, and am enjoying it while waiting for the mailman to bring me my very own copy. The first pressing is already sold out!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #32
The Male

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Thanks for the tip, IYS.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's going to be very interesting, too, to see what the charts look like, this week. Given that the run is completely sold-out, 4,500 copies of Merriweather Post Pavilion have been sold to consumers. This should certainly be enough to threaten the Billboard 200. That in itself wouldn't be too shocking a feat, as I think their last record may even have debuted in the fading lights of the top 100...what would be pretty beyond-shocking would be the fact that a [b]vinyl-only release could chart handily[/I]. I'd be stunned to see this happen, but it seems that chances are good.

It might be just as unlikely, though, given the major label-favoring schema favored by Soundscan (which oftentimes doesn't bother to poll "indie" stores; and while I can't say that this is certain, I'm willing to bet that stubborn, anti-_____ indie retailers are also, at the very least, partly to blame for this problem).

All the same, whether or not this record lands in the top 200, it has sold enough copies in an arguably obsolete format to land there. Ridiculous. With more generous a pressing, it could conceivably have charted substantially higher--I mean, the backorder list for the damn thing is already miles long...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #34
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I'm surprised to hear that, the song on their Myspace is essentially the best thing I've ever heard from them. At this point, I like Panda Bear's Person Pitch better than anything I've heard from AC, but I can certainly still understand why a lot of people love them.

Regardless, I look forward to getting the album and also to seeing reviews from other sources for it.
I have a huge soft spot for "For Reverend Green" off of Strawberry Jam, but yeah, I agree with you here.

I'd be interested in hearing their new album if it's close to as accessible as Strawberry was.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I'd be interested in hearing their new album if it's close to as accessible as Strawberry was.
Far, far, far closer, if you ask me. Parts of it are all but instantly sing-alongable. See my description above for more detail, and know that while it's surely something of a stretch, I really wasn't just playing around, with that whole avant-pop thing. It's pretty damned close, in spots. One of the songs ("Summertime Clothes") veers perilously close to a clattery, psychedelic, ramped-way-the-fuck-up version of a song or two from Cut Copy's last record, In Ghost Colours.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #36
Blue Meth Addict

Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion < Music | PopMatters

Pretty interesting review. The reviewer, whose last name is Raper (how awesome is that for being a professional critic?), essentially says he used to hate Animal Collective but absolutely loves this album. He also calls the bullet train, "shinkansen", which instantly makes me respect his opinions.

I look forward to hearing this. CD comes out last week of the month, or is it next week? EDIT: It's next week.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion < Music | PopMatters

Pretty interesting review. The reviewer, whose last name is Raper (how awesome is that for being a professional critic?), essentially says he used to hate Animal Collective but absolutely loves this album. He also calls the bullet train, "shinkansen", which instantly makes me respect his opinions.

I look forward to hearing this. CD comes out last week of the month, or is it next week? EDIT: It's next week.
I rode the fucking Shinkansen a few years ago and was besides myself with glee. The best part was waiting for our train, watching others woosh past us.....pretty awesome.

Wonder if I'll like the album, then.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Have the leaked download - It's a truly truly amazing album from start to finish. I can't stop listening to it and I hear something different every time. I put it on at a house party on Saturday night and the place went insane in the best possible way, people jumping around like madmen- great fun! There's something really primal about the beats, even though so many of the sounds are totally synthetic... The lyrics are also beautiful when they can be made out...
And the best bit? Having listened to M.P.P. all of a sudden Person Pitch by Panda Bear makes TOTAL sense to me where previously I was a bit iffy about it... It's like suddently I have the key to unlock it's brilliance...
Wonderful stuff...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #39
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Double post...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 PM
I guess I'm like scumbo's esteemed Mr. Raper. I previously didn't care for Feels or Strawberry Jam, but I'm fucking loving this.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
Have the leaked download - It's a truly truly amazing album from start to finish. I can't stop listening to it and I hear something different every time. I put it on at a house party on Saturday night and the place went insane in the best possible way, people jumping around like madmen- great fun! There's something really primal about the beats, even though so many of the sounds are totally synthetic... The lyrics are also beautiful when they can be made out...
And the best bit? Having listened to M.P.P. all of a sudden Person Pitch by Panda Bear makes TOTAL sense to me where previously I was a bit iffy about it... It's like suddently I have the key to unlock it's brilliance...
Wonderful stuff...
agreed
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:42 AM
This is seriously the best Animal Collective Post I have ever seen, but its really long...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #43
War Child

Local Time: 01:42 AM
I've only heard Feels, Strawberry Jam, and Merryweather Post Pavillion, but I love all three of them. Strawberry was an instant grabber for me, while Feels took some time to sink in. I've heard that the earlier albums are more experimental, which means that they'll probably take even more time to get into than Feels.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 AM
I didn't like their past stuff that much, but reading enough opinions on this has piqued my interest.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #45
The Male

Dammit. This is actually really good.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal collective