Animal Collective - thoughts from a n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vinyl is on the way. Sadly, though, the download coupon wasn't e-mailed to me with my order; I have to wait for it and the LP both. Google and RS are your friends, just as they were mine, in this matter. Found a good enough 320 rip, and am enjoying it while waiting for the mailman to bring me my very own copy. The first pressing is already sold out!

It's going to be very interesting, too, to see what the charts look like, this week. Given that the run is completely sold-out, 4,500 copies of Merriweather Post Pavilion have been sold to consumers. This should certainly be enough to threaten the Billboard 200. That in itself wouldn't be too shocking a feat, as I think their last record may even have debuted in the fading lights of the top 100...what would be pretty beyond-shocking would be the fact that a vinyl-only release could chart handily[/I]. I'd be stunned to see this happen, but it seems that chances are good.

It might be just as unlikely, though, given the major label-favoring schema favored by Soundscan (which oftentimes doesn't bother to poll "indie" stores; and while I can't say that this is certain, I'm willing to bet that stubborn, anti-_____ indie retailers are also, at the very least, partly to blame for this problem).

All the same, whether or not this record lands in the top 200, it has sold enough copies in an arguably obsolete format to land there. Ridiculous. With more generous a pressing, it could conceivably have charted substantially higher--I mean, the backorder list for the damn thing is already miles long...

I'm surprised to hear that, the song on their Myspace is essentially the best thing I've ever heard from them. At this point, I like Panda Bear's Person Pitch better than anything I've heard from AC, but I can certainly still understand why a lot of people love them.

Regardless, I look forward to getting the album and also to seeing reviews from other sources for it.

I have a huge soft spot for "For Reverend Green" off of Strawberry Jam, but yeah, I agree with you here.

I'd be interested in hearing their new album if it's close to as accessible as Strawberry was.

I'd be interested in hearing their new album if it's close to as accessible as Strawberry was.

Far, far, far closer, if you ask me. Parts of it are all but instantly sing-alongable. See my description above for more detail, and know that while it's surely something of a stretch, I really wasn't just playing around, with that whole avant-pop thing. It's pretty damned close, in spots. One of the songs ("Summertime Clothes") veers perilously close to a clattery, psychedelic, ramped-way-the-fuck-up version of a song or two from Cut Copy's last record, In Ghost Colours.

Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion < Music | PopMatters

Pretty interesting review. The reviewer, whose last name is Raper (how awesome is that for being a professional critic?), essentially says he used to hate Animal Collective but absolutely loves this album. He also calls the bullet train, "shinkansen", which instantly makes me respect his opinions.

I look forward to hearing this. CD comes out last week of the month, or is it next week? EDIT: It's next week.

Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion < Music | PopMatters

Pretty interesting review. The reviewer, whose last name is Raper (how awesome is that for being a professional critic?), essentially says he used to hate Animal Collective but absolutely loves this album. He also calls the bullet train, "shinkansen", which instantly makes me respect his opinions.

I look forward to hearing this. CD comes out last week of the month, or is it next week? EDIT: It's next week.

I rode the fucking Shinkansen a few years ago and was besides myself with glee. The best part was waiting for our train, watching others woosh past us.....pretty awesome.

Wonder if I'll like the album, then.

Have the leaked download - It's a truly truly amazing album from start to finish. I can't stop listening to it and I hear something different every time. I put it on at a house party on Saturday night and the place went insane in the best possible way, people jumping around like madmen- great fun! There's something really primal about the beats, even though so many of the sounds are totally synthetic... The lyrics are also beautiful when they can be made out...
And the best bit? Having listened to M.P.P. all of a sudden Person Pitch by Panda Bear makes TOTAL sense to me where previously I was a bit iffy about it... It's like suddently I have the key to unlock it's brilliance...
Wonderful stuff...

I guess I'm like scumbo's esteemed Mr. Raper. I previously didn't care for Feels or Strawberry Jam, but I'm fucking loving this.

Have the leaked download - It's a truly truly amazing album from start to finish. I can't stop listening to it and I hear something different every time. I put it on at a house party on Saturday night and the place went insane in the best possible way, people jumping around like madmen- great fun! There's something really primal about the beats, even though so many of the sounds are totally synthetic... The lyrics are also beautiful when they can be made out...
And the best bit? Having listened to M.P.P. all of a sudden Person Pitch by Panda Bear makes TOTAL sense to me where previously I was a bit iffy about it... It's like suddently I have the key to unlock it's brilliance...
Wonderful stuff...

agreed :up:

I've only heard Feels, Strawberry Jam, and Merryweather Post Pavillion, but I love all three of them. Strawberry was an instant grabber for me, while Feels took some time to sink in. I've heard that the earlier albums are more experimental, which means that they'll probably take even more time to get into than Feels.

Fucking hell, this record is good. Just wanted to remind everybody! Even the songs which haven't been blogged to death (the non-"Brother Sport," non-"My Girls," non-"Summertime Clothes" jams) are stellar, with the exception of the Person Pitched "Daily Routine." Wonderful fucking stuff. My word. I'm really floored.

Like, I'm listening to this more than I'm listening to those two clips of "Boots." A lot fucking more. Dozens of times more. Wow. Really great. So euphoric...!

Fucking hell, this record is good. Just wanted to remind everybody! Even the songs which haven't been blogged to death (the non-"Brother Sport," non-"My Girls," non-"Summertime Clothes" jams) are stellar, with the exception of the Person Pitched "Daily Routine." Wonderful fucking stuff. My word. I'm really floored.

Like, I'm listening to this more than I'm listening to those two clips of "Boots." A lot fucking more. Dozens of times more. Wow. Really great. So euphoric...!

I'm beyond being in love with this album right now. I'm this album's crazed stalker.

It's like if Person Pitch and Strawberry Jam had a sexy baby, Brian Wilson and Space Moon had another baby, and those two babies had a baby. This is the product of babyfucking, and to great result.

Also worth noting that I found myself with an excess of time, this evening, and used most all of it to listen to music. I also found myself listening to "Who Could Win a Rabbit," a (brilliant) song from Sung Tongs about which I'd not thought in quite some time, a startling 31 times. 32, in about two minutes time. Fucking fantastic, even if it isn't on Merriweather Post Pavilion.

Here's a video:

YouTube - Animal Collective "Who Could Win A Rabbit" Fatcat Records

Man, it really disappoints me that the band had never managed to put together a record, rather than just a song or two, which I could enjoy, until now. I hear this song, and, even though I've had Sung Tongs for like four years, or whatever, and have listened to and failed to enjoy it many, many times, I just can't help but assume that it'll have to be the greatest record ever, because this song is on it. Bah. Anyway, promise finally realized. Great song. Make sure to give it a listen. They've got a whole mess of gems like it sprinkled throughout their patchwork discography.

I agree that Who Could Win A Rabbit is a standout from that album. Sung Tongs still doesn't do much for me, but that one track is very cool.

I'll echo most others' thoughts on Merriweather Post Pavilion...I love it. I've tried listening to their previous albums, but they hadn't made me keep coming back like this one has. I can't stop listening to at least part of it a couple times a day. "My Girls" is fantastic. I'm liking "In the Flowers" quite a bit, as well as "Brothersport" and "Summertime Clothes." The whole album's great though. :love:

The whole album's great though. :love:

This is the key. This band's really never done this before. It's sort of ridiculous that, at least in my opinion, "My Girls" is actually one of the two weakest tracks on the album. Who else can say something like that, these days? Wonderful.

Okay. I heard the first half of the album. I'm so buying this. I'm starting to learn that I shouldn't just do my "oh, they're just the latest band all the indie kids love and the music is going to do absolutely nothing for me."

Because seriously, I was digging this. Hooray for shattering internal stereotyping!

Back
Top Bottom