Animal Collective - thoughts from a n00b - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
just to commit knife crime.
Quote:
knife crime.
Quote:
knife
Quote:
crime
Knife Crime

Here are my thoughts on whether the album is overrated or not:

Reviews are subjective.

Thank you very much!!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Here are my thoughts on whether the album is one of the best of the decade:

It's too early to tell. But probably.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 PM
I'm listening to MPP right now.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #139
Refugee

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Here are my thoughts on whether the album is one of the best of the decade:

It's too early to tell. But probably.
Is that Pitchfork's official position?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #140
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Say what you will about Pitchfork, it's a great consolidated source of news and I've learned about a lot of artists and albums I've come to love from reading it.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #141
Refugee

Yeah, Pitchfork does offer informative and well-written reviews. I actually get a sense of the album from Pitchfork, unlike something like Rolling Stone.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Who needs Pitchfork? We've got IYS. He's like PF minus the douchebaggary.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

I like PopMatters better, but yeah, Pitchfork at least helps expose artists you might otherwise not have gotten into.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:08 PM
The problem with PopMatters is that anybody can submit a review, and most of them wind up being written by fans of the band in question. It gets really taxing, after a while. Still, because of this, there are more reviews there than just about anywhere else, on a daily basis. I've heard about plenty of shit bands to go along with the great ones, via PopMatters, but I'm always able to find something new. A great resource, as long as you're willing to try, before you buy.

An interesting, AC-related article. Nothing too groundbreaking or fresh, but whatever. Kind of sums up the hoo-ha:

Stuck in the middle with you: Between pop and pretension | Music | guardian.co.uk
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh, and Reynolds name-checks Dan Deacon, in that piece. Deacon's at least as good an example of this "middlebrow" phenomenon (if it can be said actually to exist, as Reynolds sees it) as is Animal Collective. Spiderman of the Rings veered wildly from manic experimentalism to manic classicism to manic manicness. Magnificent. I'm looking more forward to his Bromst than to getting laid, when my girlfriend gets back home from Buenos Aires/Lima. No shit.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #146
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Who needs Pitchfork? We've got IYS. He's like PF minus the douchebaggary.
Hell yeah.

Best album of the decade = whatever Kate Bush puts out.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #147
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
The problem with PopMatters is that anybody can submit a review, and most of them wind up being written by fans of the band in question.
This actually isn't entirely true, you actually have to be a "staff member" to write reviews, or any of the features, on their site. The application and screening process may be simple compared to other sites, I wouldn't know as I haven't tried, but it's not as if any and everyone can just email in a review and they'll publish it. It's not as if it's exactly "difficult" to become a writer on most any online music site either, honestly. That's the great thing about the internet, anyone can get their opinion out.

I have no issues with fans writing reviews, and don't even see the relevance. Having people who are "fans" write reviews makes more sense to me than having some dipshit who knows nothing about them write the review, or even worse, someone who absolutely hates an artist writing the review. Similarly, essentially every other "music critic" I know of, be it online, magazines, whatever, all generally review the stuff they like or want to review. One of the reasons I love Filter Magazine is that they usually will only post reviews if they have good things to say about the album. Similarly, one of the reasons I started hating Spin magazine years back is it became obvious they started hiring writers who were not music fans, but just had "writing experience", to handle the reviews, and you thus got horrible reviews for albums that they'd later rank in their "Top 10 of the year" list. None of it made any sense.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know what you mean, on all fronts. You're 200% right, regarding the "application" process. But, really...it is alarmingly easy to get something on PopMatters. I say "alarmingly" because I read so many of the reviews, and if you read them all, you see that literacy isn't always even a priority, let alone a necessity.

Regarding fans, I have written poorly--the problem isn't with fans, per se, but rather with overly fannish/perspectiveless writing. I know that "fannish" is an impotent word, but bear with me, as I think you know what I mean. Love it or hate it, art criticism necessitates a sense of perspective and lack of bias. This is aesthetically debatable, of course. I mean, should this be the case? Maybe. Maybe not.

The fact, though, is that this is the currently prescribed role of criticism, whether for better or worse. I really do know what you mean, regarding fans/non-fans writing album reviews, and I think it's important to point out that both perspectives have both pluses and minuses. C'est la vie.

And I'm not hating on PopMatters. Like I said, it's a very useful site. It's just that I don't think that the quality of writing and criticism (not to mention its journalistic integrity) really measures up, most of the time.

For the opposite end of the spectrum, see :: Home | Cokemachineglow.com. Don't say that I didn't warn you. Now, again--that's not a useless site. Much like PopMatters, I discover tons of music, on CMG. But, my fucking fuck...these guys (pretty much all guys, naturally) are absurd.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #149
Blue Meth Addict

I know what you mean about the negative aspect of not fans, but "fanboyz", writing reviews. You can definitely get some overly bloated scores as well, or people cut a lot more slack than they should, etc. It's ok if you're well versed enough in the band to be able to pick out things like that, but it sucks when you only know a little of the band, go and buy an album, and end up bummed out because it's not nearly as good as you'd had it described to you.

I may actually consider trying to write some stuff on Popmatters.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #150
She's the One

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Long posts I have to actually read=

Tags
animal collective