Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do any of you guys listen much to Animal Collective's early albums? I had an "online friend" from another forum who used to talk about them constantly years ago, and I found them pretty much unbearable personally until Strawberry Jam. He and I usually had extremely similar tastes too.

How early are we talking here? I haven't heard anything before Sung Tongs, and I hate that album, so I see no reason to go back further. I return to Feels once in a while, particularly for the stunning Loch Raven.

Strawberry Jam is mixed for me. I'm going to listen to it when I get off work and see if my opinion has changed in the past few years, but I thought of it as a step in the right direction when I first heard it, and I can take a few terrific singles away from it. I think they've gotten a little better with each passing album.

LemonMelon said:
I try to avoid that shit these days. Watching Tourist and LuckyNumber7 argue "baseball" is enough to make anyone an interweb pacifist.

Honestly, I think it's damn near impossible for our ongoing feud to devolve to that level of abject retardation.

Honestly, I think it's damn near impossible for our ongoing feud to devolve to that level of abject retardation.

If it reaches that stage (and I agree, it never will), I'll fall on the sword and ask Sicy for a suspension, perhaps spend my untold Interference hours on therapy.

But it's not as if Seven is alone; EYKIW would be readable if everyone stopped caring.

I only open threads in EYKIW that I see people from here are posting in.

I hate myself for getting involved in those Bono voice threads, but the idea that he is a better singer now than in the 1980s is so fucking asinine that I cannot let it go.

If it reaches that stage (and I agree, it never will), I'll fall on the sword and ask Sicy for a suspension, perhaps spend my untold Interference hours on therapy.

But it's not as if Seven is alone; EYKIW would be readable if everyone stopped caring.

Peace in war time...

I really wouldn't mind if I got suspended from EYKIW, as I'm sure my posts have made clear. It's a cesspool.

PhilsFan said:
I hate myself for getting involved in those Bono voice threads, but the idea that he is a better singer now than in the 1980s is so fucking asinine that I cannot let it go.

You are arguing with the dude who masturbates to Bono hitting a high C.

I went to see them on the MPP tour. I liked it plenty; there were a lot of computer jams, which are fine if you like that sort of thing. I'm not sure I'd go again without a record I like as much as MPP, which I really really like.

Do any of you guys listen much to Animal Collective's early albums? I had an "online friend" from another forum who used to talk about them constantly years ago, and I found them pretty much unbearable personally until Strawberry Jam. He and I usually had extremely similar tastes too.

I've heard all of it with the exception of Danse Manatee. I enjoy Campfire Songs and Spirit They've Gone in certain contexts; they have an atmosphere about them that is very effective in transporting you to whatever the hell lysergic bonfire they are trying to recreate.

I'm probably in the minority in thinking that they reached their apex on Feels; the subdued moments on there, like Loch Raven, are absolutely gorgeous, and they are content to let the songs follow a natural-sounding course rather than throwing layers of noise on there for no apparent reason like they do on The Softest Voice from Sung Tongs. So I guess what I am saying is that I would recommend Campfire Songs and Spirit They've Gone. :lol:

I only know MPP, but I really like that album a lot. I saw them live in '08 at All Points West festival in New Jersey/New York and I really enjoyed them (and, at that time, not knowing any of their material). And then last year, at Coachella, I was in the beer garden when they were on the main stage, so I could hear most of the music and see a bit of the light show from my side view. Again, I enjoyed what I could see/hear, but I was with my friend Mike, who doesn't like them, so we just stayed in the beer garden and drank some more.

cobl04 said:
I'm holding out for sideshows for them and YYYs... never been to BDO but I'm not that keen. Heard the dickhead ratio is pretty high.

My plans / thoughts exactly. Even though the Sydney date isn't on Australia Day / the weekend this time I'm still not tempted.

Splendour got pretty bad when Spiderbait were on but then the bogans afterwards and we got a sweet back rail spot for the night.

This thread needs to be about 10 times longer (and douchier) to equal the Atease AC thread.

As for their live show, I was decidedly unimpressed when I saw them in 2009. They played the 930 Club, which usually has excellent sound, but the band did not translate well to a small room. The sound was a complete muddle, mainly due to way too much reverb. The band may actually be better seen at a large festival than a club (or at the least an outdoor venue)

I missed them at both Lollapalooza 2009 and Pitchfork 2011. The reviews for both gigs were very negative, so I don't feel I missed out on much. That Lolla gig was notoriously hated because they were coming fresh off of MPP and barely played any of it.

That seems to be their MO, heavily rely on road testing new material, release new album of said songs, then move on to new material for the tour supporting that album. So the MPP songs probably got played more on the Strawberry Jam tour. I think they played 4 or 5 MPP songs at the show I was at, which was a few months after the album came out.

That's awesome, if you're a big fan. I don't know what genius keeps picking them for festivals, but they're not at ALL suited to that context.

For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than "Banshee Beat."

My apologies then; it wasn't my intention.

I try to avoid that shit these days. Watching Tourist and LuckyNumber7 argue "baseball" is enough to make anyone an interweb pacifist.

Kind of an "I'm ignorant of advanced stats, they're retarded" kind of thing?

Let's not drag that shit into another thread, please.

How about these Animal Collective guys? Interesting fellas, I'd say.

the tourist said:
Kind of an "I'm ignorant of advanced stats, they're retarded" kind of thing?

You weren't even the reason that little MLB fight was so exemplary in its stupidity, so calm down.

Also, Animal Collective. "Chocolate Girl" is the best.

Back
Top Bottom