Andrew Bird seeming to be about as good as it gets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tuesday, February 17:
NBC: The Tonight Show With Jay Leno: Andrew Bird

Tonight. :up:

If it is broken, I will scream, "Damn those New Mexicans!" at the top of my lungs.

Did you have Lonely, Dear as the opener? If so, how was he/they?

Did you have Lonely, Dear as the opener? If so, how was he/they?

Opening the show were the excellent Loney, Dear, who charmed us with sing-alongs that were a little too complicated for most of the audience. I liked them so much I intended to buy a CD but bought an Andrew Bird t-shirt instead, and then I had to slink by the lonely Loney, Dear table shamefully and scoot out the door.

:)

As was to be expected, the show as quite good. All the predictable tracks were highlights (Nervous Tic, Plasticities, Fitz, Anonanimal, Fake Palindromes, Imitosis, Tables & Chairs). The two tracks that surprised me were Joyful's Robot/Ghost song, and a track that's apparently called 'Why?' (just like teh gr00p I liek!). Both were fantastic live, I'll have to buy "Why?" off of iTunes.

The two tracks that surprised me were Joyful's Robot/Ghost song, and a track that's apparently called 'Why?' (just like teh gr00p I liek!). Both were fantastic live, I'll have to buy "Why?" off of iTunes.

I went back and listened to Robot/Ghost after the show and it wasn't nearly as good as it was live and I decided it wasn't my favorite song on Noble Beast at all. But damn, it was great live, wasn't it?

I don't remember "Why."

Was Tables & Chairs the last song of the night?

Did you like Loney, Dear, dear?

I went back and listened to Robot/Ghost after the show and it wasn't nearly as good as it was live and I decided it wasn't my favorite song on Noble Beast at all. But damn, it was great live, wasn't it?

I don't remember "Why."

Was Tables & Chairs the last song of the night?

Did you like Loney, Dear, dear?

Yeah, I just listened to Robot/Ghost a little bit ago, and I agree that it's much better live.

Why? was the first song of the encore, Andy solo. He talks through most of it, starts with him saying something like "Why did you do that? I wish you wouldn't have". It was quite entertaining. I'm worried that the album version may sound nothing like it.

Tables and Chairs was the last song of the main set (there was an encore of 2 songs). This was the last song when I saw him this summer as well, so I'm assuming it's the song you left during.

Randomly I ran into two people from my graduating class in high school at the show though, and ended up talking to them through out almost all of Lonely Dear, so I admittedly didn't pay close attention. I did like what I heard though.

Why? was the first song of the encore, Andy solo. He talks through most of it, starts with him saying something like "Why did you do that? I wish you wouldn't have". It was quite entertaining. I'm worried that the album version may sound nothing like it.

Tables and Chairs was the last song of the main set (there was an encore of 2 songs). This was the last song when I saw him this summer as well, so I'm assuming it's the song you left during.

Randomly I ran into two people from my graduating class in high school at the show though, and ended up talking to them through out almost all of Lonely Dear, so I admittedly didn't pay close attention. I did like what I heard though.

I made a bathroom run during the first encore (I had to go ever since I was standing in line outside in the cold so it had evolved into an emergency situation) so I think I missed Why. Maybe I heard Tables & Chairs and just don't know it. I don't have that record yet though I have a bunch of songs from it. I've looked everywhere and can't find it, as usual here. I should have bought it at the show. :grumpy:

As was to be expected, the show as quite good. All the predictable tracks were highlights (Nervous Tic, Plasticities, Fitz, Anonanimal, Fake Palindromes, Imitosis, Tables & Chairs). The two tracks that surprised me were Joyful's Robot/Ghost song, and a track that's apparently called 'Why?' (just like teh gr00p I liek!). Both were fantastic live, I'll have to buy "Why?" off of iTunes.

Why? live is da bomb. The version you'll find on iTunes (from The Swimming Hour) is a'ight.

Did you get his digits? :hyper:

I'm just sooo into The mysterious production of eggs these days. I can't stop listening to Andrew Bird.

Someone posted the setlist on Last FM from the SLC show on Wednesday that I attended. Here 'tis.

1. Masterswarm
2. A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left
3. Tenuousness
4. Natural Disaster
5. Effigy
6. Oh No
7. Plasticities
8. Nomenclature
9. Not a Robot, But a Ghost
10. Armchairs
11. Anonanimal
12. Fake Palindromes
13. Imitosis
14. Headsoak
15. Tables and Chairs

Encore

16. Why?
17. Fitz and Dizzyspells

The version of Why? from Live In Montreal is terrific. Apparently Fat Possum sold all of the first run of discs and is planning to release a second run of them later this year.

I have Noble Beast cranked up really loudly right now, and I'm hearing for the first time how richly layered it is. I still don't think it's my favorite of his albums, but it's definitely one of my favorites of the year so far.

Why are all of his shows within a five hour radius of me on school nights? :grumpy:

New tour dates announced. Calexico opening :O

No FL dates...

Where the hell are the dates? You can't be surprised he hates Florida, both you AND LeMaC live there. Add that whole Elian Gonzalez mess, and you've got your 3 strikes.

idk who that is.

And then in June - behold!
June 8 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion supporting: the Decemberists
June 11-14 Manchester, TN Bonnaroo Festival
June 15 Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center
June 17 Upper Darby, PA Tower Theatre
June 18 New York, NY Radio City Music Hall
June 19 Boston, MA Bank of America Pavilion

Calexico will be providing support for the June 15-19 dates. Pre-sales for those dates begin Thursday, March 5

I'm thinking of doing the Atlanta thing... but then I'd be skipping out on the National at the end of May. :sad:

Having seen both, I can't fathom skipping the Nash for Andy Birdman.

Not that Birdman is bad live. Far from it.

Listen to yer heart.

Who is that guy in your avatar? He's got a head like a fucking orange.

oooh, if I'm not unemployed in June, I think I'll go to that show at the Tower Theatre. That place has been good to me...it was where I met Wilco for the first time.

Who is that guy in your avatar? He's got a head like a fucking orange.

cookiemonster.gif

I'd planned to go see him in Philadelphia in June, but I'm not sure I can justify Live Nation's $15+ service fee on a $32 ticket. WTF, Live Nation? :mad:

Back
Top Bottom