An SP Thread... I mean, Smashing Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Damn, I've been on a huge Pumpkins kick recently and would like to hear where you guys stand on them. Siamese Dream is their only classic album, I think, with Mellon Collie being too bloated and bombastic to compete, even if it has some good songs. Gish is a solid debut, while Adore and both Machinas offer some terrific tracks along with some mediocrity.

I'm not the biggest fan of Corgan's songwriting or voice, but sometimes it really gets me going... listen to "Cherub Rock" and you'll know what I'm talking about. Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the best drummers around today... the guy's a beast and doesn't get enough credit to the band's success. James Iha and the Wretzky/Auf der Mar bass combo were serviceable, but had some great moments.

What are your thoughts on the band and what are some of your favorite songs?

I'm a fan, but not a huge fan.

I like a bunch of songs from each album, but, the only album I like the whole way through is Machina - The Machines of G-d......which most people seem to like a lot less than I do. Age of Innocence is my favorite track from that album.

Corgan's kind of a tool, but, I do like a decent amount of their music.

Cherub Rock is awesome, hard to dislike.

Other favorite songs:

Siva
Perfect
Stand Inside Your Love
Zero
Tonight, Tonight
Real Love
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (I think it's a very pretty little instrumental track)
Disarm
Geek USA

That's a decent amount of songs, maybe I like them more than I thought. :shrug:

Stand Inside Your Love could be my favorite song of theirs, besides The End Is the Beginning Is the End, Cherub Rock, and 1979.

God, the way Stand... peaks like a fucking rock volcano towards the end, it's amazing. I've always considered that their last great song and chance to make a real comeback, mainly due to the lyrics, not this half-assed Zeitgeist shit.

Not a fan. For some reason I've just never sat down and listened to an album of theirs all the way through. It's a shame because most of my negative feelings toward them stem from my dislike of Corgan.

Of course there are a handful of songs by them that I enjoy...the stuff that's on the radio. 1979, Cherub Rock, Bullet with butterfly wings, Zero.

They are from Chicago, though, which is cool.

Chicago :drool:

You know how people are attached to movies, good or bad, for sentimental reasons, etc, like Lance with Batman Forever. The first time I went overseas was way late in life, sadly, to Japan. I could not have been more excited to explore Tokyo, despite this being a work trip with not a lot of free time. Anyway, whenever I did take off on my own, I would listen to Machina on my CD player (pre-Ipod folks) and so every time I hear songs from that album, I'm reminded of this amazing trip I was on. Sorry to ramble....

Anyway, yes, Stand Inside Your Love ratchets things up around the 2:40 mark and stays there.

Oh yeah and even though they kinda suck, Smashing Pumpkins is a damn good band name.

I will download Stand Inside Your Love.

You've never even listened to an album, you can't say if they suck or not. You have no freaking clue.

By the way, I like seeing people actually talk about Machina and Adore. Back in the day, all you'd see were mentions of Siamese and Mellon Collie.

I appreciate the thread title too. :wink:

You know how people are attached to movies, good or bad, for sentimental reasons, etc, like Lance with Batman Forever. The first time I went overseas was way late in life, sadly, to Japan. I could not have been more excited to explore Tokyo, despite this being a work trip with not a lot of free time. Anyway, whenever I did take off on my own, I would listen to Machina on my CD player (pre-Ipod folks) and so every time I hear songs from that album, I'm reminded of this amazing trip I was on. Sorry to ramble....

Anyway, yes, Stand Inside Your Love ratchets things up around the 2:40 mark and stays there.

That's awesome. Were you there to record a commercial for Suntory whiskey?

Oh yeah and even though they kinda suck, Smashing Pumpkins is a damn good band name.

I will download Stand Inside Your Love.

I prefer Smashing Pumpkins, not THE Smashing Pumpkins. Amazing how one article totally changes the context of the band name.

This is very true.

I'll change my statement to say that their singer's hair sucks.

Or lack thereof. He looks like Dwight Schrute, too.

By the way, I like seeing people actually talk about Machina and Adore. Back in the day, all you'd see were mentions of Siamese and Mellon Collie.

I appreciate the thread title too. :wink:

Thanks for the history lesson, Grandpa Interference. Toothless old fuck.

I'll talk about Machina all day long.

Interference, Schminterference. I'm just talking in general. You know, back when they were actually popular. And relevant. And good. :wink:

You know what? I love Zwan as well. Never even bothered with the solo album or Zeitgiest.

I'd be lying if I said that I disliked Zwan.

Lyric, Settle Down, Declarations of Faith, El Sol, Ride a Black Swan, Yeah!, Come With Me and JesusI are all songs that I enjoy.

I bought Zeitgeist, but not his solo album.

You know what? I love Zwan as well. Never even bothered with the solo album or Zeitgiest.

Zwan's pretty damn cool. I wish they didn't implode the way they did. "Now and Then" and "Mina Loy (M.O.H.)" are the only good songs off of Corgan's solo album, I think.

Jimmy Chamberlin's side album is a nice listen, too.

Zwan's pretty damn cool. I wish they didn't implode the way they did. "Now and Then" and "Mina Loy (M.O.H.)" are the only good songs off of Corgan's solo album, I think.

Jimmy Chamberlin's side album is a nice listen, too.

Rob Dickinson from Catherine Wheel sings two songs on Chamberlain's record...I have those both, nothing else from the album.

Zwan freaking had members of Slint and the dude who made the Superwolf album with Bonnie Prince Billy in it. SOLID. It does suck they didn't last more than an album.

Yeah, I liked Mina Loy.

Seriously though, Adore is fantastic. Oddly, it was the album that finally got me into them. It sucked because everyone else had moved on by then. :|

Zwan freaking had members of Slint and the dude who made the Superwolf album with Bonnie Prince Billy in it. SOLID. It does suck they didn't last more than an album.

Yeah, I liked Mina Loy.

Seriously though, Adore is fantastic. Oddly, it was the album that finally got me into them. It sucked because everyone else had moved on by then. :|

Adore was the album that got me into them, too, actually. I started with the track from the Batman & Robin soundtrack, then went to the nearest album, expecting it to have the same sound, but it didn't. I was disappointed at first, then it grew on me and I absolutely love it.

It runs a bit too long, but it's a soothing listen throughout.

I Adore Mi Amore is fantastic.

ColorMeBadd.jpg

Adore was the album that got me into them, too, actually. I started with the track from the Batman & Robin soundtrack, then went to the nearest album, expecting it to have the same sound, but it didn't. I was disappointed at first, then it grew on me and I absolutely love it.

It runs a bit too long, but it's a soothing listen throughout.

What was the name of the song off the Forever soundtrack?

What was the name of the song off the Forever soundtrack?

The End Is the Beginning Is the End.

I fucking love that the Watchmen trailer used the alternate version, The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning, too.

Back
Top Bottom