An SP Thread... I mean, Smashing Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Law & Order is another reason why I couldn't take Fred Dalton Thompson seriously running for president. Each time he spoke, I was half expecting him to turn to Sam Waterston and start admonishing him for being too reckless in prosecuting someone.

Try watching him in Die Hard 2.

Everything from Gish through Machina 2 is solid Gold. M2 is especially stunning, I'm listening to it right now. It's funny that it was never released officially.

I would rank the albums in this order:

1. Siamese Dream
2. Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness
3. Adore
4. Machina 2
5. Machina 1
6. Gish

I have the newer stuff, but I don't really consider that the Smashing Pumpkins.

Huh, must have missed this thread the first time through. I even have a vague idea of what the title is referencing.

Anyway, pretty good band, particularly in small doses (ironically, the one time I listened to Mellon Collie in one sitting, I liked most everything on it, but I don't think I listened to SP again for months). Corgan is a tool and an egotist with bad taste in his own music, but he occasionally justifies it.

Best hit: 1979
Most underrated: Luna. Fucking gorgeous song.

The video for 1979 is simultaneously a trainwreck and one of my favorite things ever. It represents all of the worst music video cliches the 90s had to offer, right down to heavily color-saturated trips through it-couldn't-possibly-be-greener-anywhere fields, as well as the worst adolescent cliches, such as that old standby: convenience store slacking. That being said, I was kinda there, at least to watch crappy videos that sought to represent it, so that just makes this all the more nostalgic for me:

YouTube - Smashing Pumpkins 1979 video

Back
Top Bottom